Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

HERE BE SPOILERS! You have been warned.

Anyhow, I'm sitting in the theatre earlier than I have ever been to any other movie. Ten years ago, if you had told me there would be five Avengers movies (Civil War is a Cap movie, but it still counts) and that they would end up being a cultural event, I would have thought you were nuts. Yet here we are. I am very much looking forward to this.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

I dug it. I totally understand why some people won't, but I thought it was a awesome climax to a decade of movies that have done something unprescident in cinema. Not flawless, but tons and tons of fun.

8/10

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I really enjoyed. There was just one part that made me cringe, but other then that I felt it was a good cap(heh)stone for the entire MCU

Comment

Saw it yesterday and loved it!!! So many awesome moments in it!

MrGone's Character Sheets
        For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Infinity War. The send off for cap and iron man was fantastic.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised that Sam, rather than Bucky, became the new Cap.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

So.

Saw Endgame.

I hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed that. That was hella cathartic.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

So, kick to things off since this IS the spoiler thread...

While yes, the time travel logic established in the movie is iffy regarding Cap's ultimate fate, personally I say...

Guys. Let him have his happy ending. He earned it, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                  So, kick to things off since this IS the spoiler thread...

While yes, the time travel logic established in the movie is iffy regarding Cap's ultimate fate, personally I say...

Guys. Let him have his happy ending. He earned it, dammit.
                  One thing about being apathetic towards that franchise-I realized that was a nit to pick but just couldn't care.

Gotta admit, I'm surprised he lived and Stark didn't.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    One thing about being apathetic towards that franchise-I realized that was a nit to pick but just couldn't care.
                    Well, my corner of the internet is a lot more enthusiastic about this sort of thing (and staunchly believes "superhero fatigue" has no objective data and merit to be worth discussing), so kinda hard for me to avoid it.

Gotta admit, I'm surprised he lived and Stark didn't.
                    I'm ok with things.

I was personally in the camp that they were going to go for an "everybody" or "nobody" outcome: either ALL of the original Avengers were going to die, or NONE of them were, and they would just be conveniently side-lined. Instead Marvel/Disney went for...some lived, some died, some are permanently retired.

Am looking forward to Thor with the Guardians in GotGvol3.

Comment

Well, my corner of the internet is a lot more enthusiastic about this sort of thing (and staunchly believes "superhero fatigue" has no objective data and merit to be worth discussing), so kinda hard for me to avoid it.

I'm ok with things.

I was personally in the camp that they were going to go for an "everybody" or "nobody" outcome: either ALL of the original Avengers were going to die, or NONE of them were, and they would just be conveniently side-lined. Instead Marvel/Disney went for...some lived, some died, some are permanently retired.

Am looking forward to Thor with the Guardians in GotGvol3.
                      Thor in the Guardians is a brilliant move and I cannot wait.

I was okay with Steve's breach too, because that catharsis has been earned and at some point you gotta throw your hands up and go "Fuck it, have it" and we well and reached that point. Stark's death is a little more bitter, because I ended up wanting him to go back to his little house and farm? But On the other hand, ending on the words that started this whole thing was more of a right move than I expected.
                      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        I was okay with Steve's breach too, because that catharsis has been earned at some point you gotta throw your hands up and go "Fuck it, have it" and we well and reached that point. Stark's death is a little more bitter, because I ended up wanting him to go back to his little house and farm? But On the other hand, ending on the words that started this whole thing was more of a right move than I expected.
                        I just felt that move coming. The moment I saw him with the Gems after the Thanos line I was like "he's gonna say it". Being the one in my group that had to drag my friends to see Iron Man because I was the "comics guy" of the group, with Tony always having been one of my favorites, it hit me hard.

I have my share of criticism for this movie, but that moment was cathartic beyond belief and a majestic reminder of all the road done so far and how things change. Cultural zeitgeist in four words, worth paying for the movie all by itself.
                        Last edited by Cinder; 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

I suppose it would have felt a little bit same-y if Tony and Clint were depicted as having happily gone back to their family.

...which even then I was kinda surprised they gave the outcome they did with Tony in the 5 Years Later since with the whole "family in a private house in the rural nowhere", weren't they just repeating what Clint got?

Comment

I suppose it would have felt a little bit same-y if Tony and Clint were depicted as having happily gone back to their family.

...which even then I was kinda surprised they gave the outcome they did with Tony in the 5 Years Later since with the whole "family in a private house in the rural nowhere", weren't they just repeating what Clint got?
                            Different contexts, with the notation of how Tony got the idea for wanting that from his time visiting Barton's family in Ultron. It was actually a really good pen-ultimate step to his final actualization, the completion of his arc, because he arrived on the opposite side of where he started and had to confront the Iron Man choice all over again, but this time with more wisdom and clarity. The backdrop of the Snap is also important for the context, because Barton's schtick represents sort of equanmity that Stark's life(Both in Iron Man 1 and here) doesn't present. Stark demonstrates a willingness to make it all about himself again(for different) reasons, and has to step up and out into his heroism.

EDIT: It also retreads Tony's willingness to "cut the wire" rather than "lay down on the wire" in a more mature context, because throughout the series, Tony's answers have been to try and fix the way things are, to cheat the systems in place for his ideals, and even if he has lain on the wire before, this was the final extension of that conversation.
                            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I thought it was a fun movie, and it even had a few moments I thought were really moving. That said, I feel ambivalent about how invested you have to be in the MCU to really *get* this movie.

I don't normally see movies in theaters - I prefer to watch them at home, so I can eat healthy snacks that aren't overpriced and snark at the movie without bothering anyone. But I thought it would be better to see Endgame still in theaters, partly for the full audiovisual experience and partly so I wouldn't have to dodge spoilers for the next several months until it came out for streaming services and DVD.

I was mostly caught up on Marvel movies - the only important one I hadn't seen was Captain Marvel, because it's still in theaters. So I went to see Captain Marvel last Saturday, and Endgame the day after. And I'm glad I did, because it turns out that Captain Marvel is moderately important to Endgame, and if I didn't have her background the parts of the movie where she turns up would have been much less impactful, if not actually confusing.

That got me thinking - you really have to have seen almost every Marvel movie to fully appreciate Endgame. Fans of the comics can maybe skip a few, but otherwise you're looking at 18-21 movies just to comprehend all of what is happening in Endgame. And that feels like a lot to ask from casual moviegoers.

The list of said movies, going all the way back to 2008:

(The titles in bold are necessities; the ones in italics may be optional.)

Iron Man
                              The Incredible Hulk
                              Iron Man 2
                              Thor
                              Captain America: The First Avenger
                              The Avengers
                              Iron Man 3
                              Thor: The Dark World
                              Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy
                              Avengers: Age of Ultron
                              Ant-Man
                              Captain America: Civil War
                              Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
                              Spiderman: Homecoming
                              Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther
                              Avengers: Infinity War
                              Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel
                              Last edited by semicasual; 05-06-2019, 03:06 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X