guys lets discuss "Ancient Greece" AKA classical Athens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys lets discuss "Ancient Greece" AKA classical Athens

i have a Hipster dislike for Ancient Hellenistic and Roman societies like i think its lots of random luck that lots of Hellenistic Treaties survived first for people cant argue about philosophy and Zoology when working at a farm, Ancient Athens had a huge wealth disparity and Slaves something that was actually pretty normal in the Ancient world ,and most of the World today.

Athens was also a imperialist power see sack of Melos see for people like Aristotle to think about Philosophy there was brutal exploitation of others.again pretty common to this day.

Some Athenians Wrote stuff down and that stuff was persevered by Others to our Book loving Society that seems obvious but considering that the printing press wasn't invented meant that each book had to by Hand-copied which took a really long time

What are you looking to discuss? Or are you just fishing for affirmation on your opinions again?

Comment

what im discussing is that i think Ancient Athens is "overrated as in it wast s beautiful enlighten utopia of equality and democracy and the saying as the beganning of Western culture is false and ignores the influence of other cultures

Comment

I'm at work, so I don't have time to break it all down, buuuuuut like even where you aren't wrong, that still feels like a shallow reading and basis for comparison?

Like, I'm one of the guys who thinks we might have been better off with the Persians having won the Greco-Persian War and am all for a breakdown of the problematic elements of Athenian and Spartan culture, particularly the aspects that we build our current cultural identity, and I still think your attempt to attack how oversold Athens is undersells a lot of the reason why it's oversold in the first place. I feel like I actually have to defend Athens a bit here.

How you do a thing is as important as the thing you are doing, Konrad. You want to talk about things and have people take you seriously, you have got to stop running at it, swinging your arms like a toddler who has realized their arms are billy clubs. You gotta have nuance in how you build and approach your subject, work to create a reason to invest in it, and really try and dig into the reasons why it's worth talking about.

As is, I agree with you and I am still inclined to just disagree with you because your approach basically asks me to.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Uhh I have to go to school to and that’s why my Post is Undercooked but a lot of what people say the Greeks “Invented” Can not by Understated expect by me but you can’t deny the Iffy Race implications of saying Greece a “White” Cultures as the origins of Stuff like Logic, and democracy see Athenian Democracy lasting under a century Being a Direct democrac and not allowing Women, slaves and Metrics to join.

Maybe Socrates was Greatly influenced by What we know call Black civilizations. and non of there records managed to survive.

It’s because people in the Renaissance found it and decided to Built the foundations of Society on it .

Comment

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but

Okay, and I care why?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
              It’s because people in the Renaissance found it and decided to Built the foundations of Society on it .
              Besides everything Arc already said...

You're not helping your case here. If you want to encourage nuanced discussions about the legacy of classical Athenian society, you can't just toss off the influence it had on Macedonian Hellenism, Roman governing philosophy, and the Golden Age of Islam, and how important that all was to forming Western/European society that came later.

Being equally off base as the strawnman you're railing against doesn't do anything helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                you can’t deny the Iffy Race implications of saying Greece a “White” Cultures as the origins of Stuff like Logic, and democracy see Athenian Democracy lasting under a century Being a Direct democrac and not allowing Women, slaves and Metrics to join.
                I find that to be more White supremacists appropriating Greece than ancient Greeks having much to do with modern concepts of Whiteness.

Originally posted by Konradleijon
                Maybe Socrates was Greatly influenced by What we know call Black civilizations. and non of there records managed to survive.
                There are better bases for more expansive approaches to history than pure speculation.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                X