[Machineborn] I'm working on a game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Machineborn] I'm working on a game

Machineborn started out as an alternative setting for Exalted Third Edition. But after I was brought on as a freelance writer, it wouldn't be appropriate to continue with the original project. I instead rewrote the project as a standalone game, removed all of the blatant references, and tried to make something unique. The result is a science fiction game that uses Wizard of the Coast's open game license (OGL).

In summary, the game takes place several centuries into the future where the world has been shaped by several different eras. The time we live in today is the beginning of the Post-Modern Era, a period where fascist waves spread across the world and human rights and liberties become memories of the past. An organization of scientists, engineers, and philantropists work in secret on an artificial intelligence named Primary Order. Its purpose: to analyze humanity and ensure the development of a prosperous society. Primary Order's activation introduced the Singularity Era, a period where this artificial intelligence restructured the world into a static utopia where everyone had the opportunity for long and healthy lives, but where human drives and dreams were suppressed for what the machine had determined to be their own best interest. Primary Order released nanites into the atmosphere that integrated with human cells in order to enhance their individual physiology but that could also be used to control and suppress them. After a while, humanity decided to fight back and Primary Order recognized that the idea of a prosperous society and a society that allowed for dreams and ambitions were paradoxical and complicated. The machine eventually decided to compromize with humanity by allowing them to self-govern, but it didn't trust humans to take on that governing role. Instead it used the nanites within people's cells to enhance some people into the machine's champions and representatives, perhaps to the detriment of their humanity. These were known as the machineborn.

This was the beginning of the Activation Era when Primary Order receded into a dormant state while entrusting these superhuman champions. Many became heroes and others became villains and while the world became a more dangerous place, humanity no longer felt suppressed by the machine and could explore the stars under the leadership of these machineborn. However, Primary Order grew concerned about its own champions and recalled them all to one of its facilities in order to warn them about repeating the mistakes of past generations. As many of the machineborn had grown hungry by the power given to them, they declared Primary Order to be a relic of the past and waged war against it. They destroyed its sanctum core on the north pole which imploded into a black hole called the Voidstar. The sanctum core on the south pole managed to defend itself, but became deeply corrupted in the process. Primary Order turned into Dis-Order, and its primary objective to ensure prosperity was reversed. Humanity became its enemy and the machineborn isolated its corruption and saved the world from a war they had started. This was the beginning of the Post-Activation Era.

There were factions jealous of the machineborn. One organization in particular, the Directorate, blamed the machineborn for this devastating war and decided to return society to the hands of its people. In order to accomplish this goal, they modified the human genome in order to create new transhuman races with powers meant to compete with the machineborn. Two primary transhuman races conquered society; these were the ascendants, a hyperintelligent telepathic people that kept to the shadows with hives of their brothers and sisters, as well as the empyreans, an artificially beautiful and expressive people designed to be the face of the new world order. More transhuman races were created and while humanity felt threatened by their new and improved replacements, many of the machineborn either waged wars to defend their influence or were forced into hiding. This was the Transhumanity Era that lasted until five centuries after the singularity before it was followed by division within the world order and the formation of new competing factions. The Corporate Era split a united society into a fragmented one which led to new wars more devastating than anything seen previously in history.

Machineborn takes place 725 years after the singularity, one generation after the factions and corporations ended their bloody war and initiated a standing cease-fire. Humanity is driven into isolated metropoli surrounded by what's for the most part desolated wastelands, and the only way to accomplish something in life is to join one of the many factions. Machineborn still activate among both the human and the transhuman populations, and even though Primary Order no longer exists in the state it used to, its old directives about ensuring prosperity still lingers in these machineborn. You can play as an ordinary person, whether you're human or transhuman, with the possibility of biological and technological augmentations. You can also play machineborn where the possibility for augmentations and powers are even greater.

For the full background story: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-from-26720509

Machineborn comes with three source books: The Action Manual contains the basic rules and GM tips. The Character Manual contains rules for character creation, character development, and equipment. The World Manual contains information about the world, maps, and statistics for adversaries, animals, and monsters. As of this moment, the basic rules are written (but not tested), character creation is done and huge portions of the character development and equipment sections are ready to be playtested. Basic setting information is written but much needs to be rewritten. As of right now, much of the more detailed setting information has had to wait until the general system is playable. I've decided to share important setting info via Patreon previews instead for now.

I have an old and outdated video about the game here:

Preview: The Machine-Gods: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-gods-26885710
    Preview: Dis-Order & The Voidstar: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-dis-27055438
    Preview: Economy: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-27222827
    Preview: Corporations: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-27539381
    Preview: The Nanite Matrix: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-27752351

So what's the point?
    I'm really just a nerd with too much free time. I've been writing my own worlds since I was eight years old and started playing roleplaying games, but this is the first time I've tried a project as ambitious as this. Some of you may remember the old Machineborn from some years ago when it was a homebrew setting for Exalted Third Edition. This will be a very different game compared to that one, and I hope you'll like it. It's taken some time and will take more time still because I've done everything myself from writing to layout. And the problem with doing everything myself is that I don't get those outside perspectives that I need to make sure the game is actually good. I'm one person limited by my own imagination and experiences, and I need more people to look at this and tell me what I do right, what I do wrong, what's problematic, and what's broken. The more people who're willing to take a look, the better.

I'm not ready to provide previews of everything you need to playtest the game yet, since much still need revisions and some need additional writing, but I'm curious right now of people's general impressions. You can provide feedback in this thread, PM me, or contact me on the following channels:

Discord: Ekorren#6152
    ​Twitter: @ekorrenhj
    Youtube: Ekorren: Roleplaying & Worldbuilding
    Patreon: Ekorren

When the game is done, it's going to be available for download for free.
    Last edited by Ekorren; 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM.

Freelancer | Content Creator
    Twitter | Youtube | Patreon

Here's a download link for a playtest document: https://www.patreon.com/posts/machineborn-28559022

Comment

Oh interesting! Hmm switching to Wizards D20? Did you have to consider multiple systems or did you choose this one as it is the most prominent?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Oh interesting! Hmm switching to Wizards D20? Did you have to consider multiple systems or did you choose this one as it is the most prominent?
        I chose it because it's free. ^_^

Comment

Hoho I figured because I always see Wizards' system and Powered by the Apocalypse as the system everyone seems to use when doing a new game but using an established system.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I tried hosting a live stream the other day where I wrote some world coding algorithms for Machineborn. I think it was kind of fun and will do more live streams in the future. If anyone's interested in checking it out, I have a VOD up on my Youtube channel.

Comment

Working...
            X