Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If i turned up to a game and that form got handed out, i would chuckle, then look around. If no one else was laughing, then this group would not be for me. To try and use the vernacular, this would be a hard limit for me. Likewise, i am very cagey about "session 0" stuff. You want to give me an outline of your game for character gen, cool. You start talking about exploring themes, ehhhh. Any mention of lines and veils or traffic lights etc, I'm not going to make it to session one.

And on the "race" thing, I've never heard an actual person use it to refer to a people. In my experience, even with quite "racist" people, it's not a thing. Except maybe historical sources, like about eugenics or nazi's.

Of course, on the internet, it's a whole other ballgame, but fortunately, everyone i know in real life is beyond this kind of thing. Hence, a warning flag that I'll not fit in with a group

Comment

• Originally posted by NotEmpathic View Post
      If i turned up to a game and that form got handed out, i would chuckle, then look around. If no one else was laughing, then this group would not be for me. To try and use the vernacular, this would be a hard limit for me. Likewise, i am very cagey about "session 0" stuff. You want to give me an outline of your game for character gen, cool. You start talking about exploring themes, ehhhh. Any mention of lines and veils or traffic lights etc, I'm not going to make it to session one.

And on the "race" thing, I've never heard an actual person use it to refer to a people. In my experience, even with quite "racist" people, it's not a thing. Except maybe historical sources, like about eugenics or nazi's.

Of course, on the internet, it's a whole other ballgame, but fortunately, everyone i know in real life is beyond this kind of thing. Hence, a warning flag that I'll not fit in with a group
      Which is likewise a warning flag about you.

Not that your name doesn't spell out your game.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        I never saw the Black Panther movie, but if it was anything like the comic book iteration, then I can only imagine it had at least some scenes which existed purely to hate on white people [and] they have lined their borders with frankly barbaric defense mechanisms like the Panther Jaws, which are giant bear traps that impale you through the chest with sharpened tree branches! And then they just leave the corpses out in the open as a warning to anyone else who tries to cross their borders uninvited.
        Yeah, I'm gonna stop you there. You should really watch the movie before you criticize it to be sure the things you're complaining about are actually in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotEmpathic View Post
          If i turned up to a game and that form got handed out, i would chuckle, then look around. If no one else was laughing, then this group would not be for me.
          Then it did its job.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimB View Post
            Yeah, I'm gonna stop you there. You should really watch the movie before you criticize it to be sure the things you're complaining about are actually in it.
            ^that.

Also, no, that wasn't a thing.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Oh, I'm sure they made some changes, like how they completely retconned Thanos' motivations and just completely forgot about Adam Warlock being teased at the end of the second Guardians movie. But what information I had regarding Black Panther's character from the source material didn't exactly incentivize me to check out his movie.

Comment

What information I had regarding Black Panther's character from the source material didn't exactly incentivize me to check out his movie.
                That's fine, but it's really dishonest and unfair to complain about things that aren't in it as if they are. I wish you wouldn't do that.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure they made some changes, like how they completely retconned Thanos' motivations and just completely forgot about Adam Warlock being teased at the end of the second Guardians movie. But what information I had regarding Black Panther's character from the source material didn't exactly incentivize me to check out his movie.
                  Also, I just realized you're doing to Black Panther what you seem to take umbrage at us doing to your hypothetical D&D game: you're holding it accountable for its troubling origins.

Comment

Also, I just realized you're doing to Black Panther what you seem to take umbrage at us doing to your hypothetical D&D game: you're holding it accountable for its troubling origins.

You seem to be right about that. In which case, I'm sorry for the hypocritical reaction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa
                      What information I had regarding Black Panther's character from the source material didn't exactly incentivize me to check out his movie.
                      Not that there's a precedence of caring, but while it's fine to not watch a movie because of your doubts, it is not fine to then diatribe about your reasons for not seeing it as though they are pertinent to the point made about the movie as relates to this conversation, particularly since I know for a fact you are aware of the trend in adapted media to not be one-to-one adaptations and that features prominent in earlier works need not continue into them. It's intellectually dishonest, a time-wasting and inefficient distraction, and really just does not make your arguments look good.

Mind you, we're so clearly past the realm of "All I care about is convincing other people" that I don't think you actually care how you look. But on the off chance that's still the pretense, maybe next time just say "I haven' tseen it so I can't comment" and maybe try extending some good faith in consideration with a follow-up of "Maybe I'll check it out to so I can understand your point."

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post

Not that there's a precedence of caring, but while it's fine to not watch a movie because of your doubts, it is not fine to then diatribe about your reasons for not seeing it as though they are pertinent to the point made about the movie as relates to this conversation, particularly since I know for a fact you are aware of the trend in adapted media to not be one-to-one adaptations and that features prominent in earlier works need not continue into them. It's intellectually dishonest, a time-wasting and inefficient distraction, and really just does not make your arguments look good.

Mind you, we're so clearly past the realm of "All I care about is convincing other people" that I don't think you actually care how you look. But on the off chance that's still the pretense, maybe next time just say "I haven' tseen it so I can't comment" and maybe try extending some good faith in consideration with a follow-up of "Maybe I'll check it out to so I can understand your point."

Arcane, enough. Your attempts to goad me into some kind of aggressive response are painfully transparent, and I'm not falling for it. Some gall you have, chastising me about judging something based on themes that I imagined might be present, when we just spent like 10 pages about you and Heavy Arms doing the exact same thing to me.

Comment

• Gotta say, difference of perspectives I guess but I’m definitely not seeing how people looking at dwarves and not actually seeing Jews hurts me. If anyone actually did see it that’d be different, but considering I’ve gone the past eighteen years of the LotR movies being a thing without finding a single such person I’ll be surprised if I ever do.

Comment

• So I have to pass an ideological purity test to play a game now? How hard is it to accept that some people don't want or need a certain level of "wokeness" in their ttrpg experience.

Are you on the square?
                            Are you on the level?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                              So I have to pass an ideological purity test to play a game now? How hard is it to accept that some people don't want or need a certain level of "wokeness" in their ttrpg experience.
                              Finding out what could be problematic for a person in very relaxed way is an idelogical purity test to you?

Like, I have two things I'm confused about here. One, do you tend to just play games with whoever the fuck, or do you tend to draw from people you were already going to play with anyways, among which probably include a number of people who don't "wokeness"? Like, to me, this is primarily useful for when I'm getting to know someone for a game context, which is not a frequent thing. It obviously has more use in situations like conventions and such, in which I hope you're not just sitting down and assuming everyone wants to play your way anyways, but outside of that, I think you're going to know if someone has the same taste as you, and knowing even the basic questions to evoke laughter or disgust is enough to let you know you've found blood and bone. I mean, seriously, part of the reason some of you seem offended is because you've never had to do this before, what makes you think you're suddenly going to have to?

Two, I'm sorry, the only way anything about consent and using tools to help facilitate that comes across as an ideological purity test is if the person in question thinks that treating people with kindness isn't just a thing you do anyways. Like, it's one thing to say it's a lot of work, it's another to say that basic human decency is a chore. Sooooooo is that what you're trying to say?

Comment

• Completely unaimed, I'm just blown away by how much people seem to think this is a lot of work and highly confining and restrictive and such. It's not like anyone has to go and become a monk, or drag a piano across a city with a rope, or apply fire to their crotch for ten seconds.

Like, it's a form. Your players are going to be filling out one anyways. They fill it out, you read it.

Like, it's world building. You're already building a setting anyways.

It's also not like you suddenly have to only play Puppies and Pawprints. A large number of the people who advocate for this also make and run games that include all manner of material. Onyx Path includes consent and safety ideas in books that also have characters who laugh ripping throats out and sections on why you should play evil characters.

To me, this seriously doesn't even look like a molehill, and it blows my mind people are thinking it's some kind of K-2.

This isn't work. This is just. Stuff.
                                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 09-18-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X