What kind of DM/ST/SG you are?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of DM/ST/SG you are?

What combination of D&D classes points to your game running style? For me, it's probably Artificer/Cleric/Wizard combo.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

My goal is to be all of the above, but if I can only pick one, probably bard.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

For me id say its even between Ranger and Sorcerer.
      But id love to be a better Wizard.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son and now a beautiful new baby.

Comment

Kind of a mix of Warlock and Wizard I guess. I mainly aim for a good, memorable storyline with lots of world building and tend to build the story heavily around player backstory hooks.

Comment

I'm probably a sorcerer with the problem being that I approach things from the wizard route.

Comment

I've had few enough chances to DM that I can't fully say I've figured out my style. But the way I've come to approach the game in my limited experience is a mix of Wizard and Ranger. I like to plan ahead, because having material on hand makes it easier in the moment. And I favor a sandbox style, where I plop the PCs down in a game world and let them find the adventure. I want to grant my players the freedom to choose their own path, but I also like to curate encounters.

If there's one way I'm deficient as a Wizard, it's that while I do A LOT of lore building (I have literal months between games), I'm not the best at thinking up puzzles. It's an area of the game I'd love to work on, as I think making puzzles could serve to engage the players in ways other than fighting or making ability checks.

A bit of the Cleric applies as well, in the sense that I've just memorized a lot of rules. (Though never as well as I'd like).
            Last edited by Bluecho; 03-11-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Would be nice to be them all, in ST'ing I lean between Warlock/Rogue.

Comment

I used to be very Wizard/Warlock. These days I'm trying to dabble in a bit more of everything and get more comfortable with my Sorcerer/Paladin side.

Comment

No mindflayer? I'm disappointed

Comment

Bluecho, maybe I need to change my Wizard answer for Ranger, too? I like to build setting - or mini-setting - and give players main plot idea and let them loose with it. It's a problem, sometimes, like I have right now in my games:

( CoD, 800 AD ) Viking werewolfs are going from Uppsala in Sweden to Constantinopole in Byzantium. For months ( years even ) I build Queen of Cities setting - as literal fan Dark Era about Byzantine Empire - and lead my players there. Only they do not follow it. They stick in previous, backward 'last stop' location, checking leads about mysterious sickness in normal mortal characters that cannot possibly know anything about it. But they do it still. It's like 6th game session on things that should only take maybe two, at most. On the other hand, I ended the ways to make it more dire - and maybe I over do it, as players are thinking they cannot travel to Constantinopole to let live their co-player character, as he will not enough time.

It's like the need of the plot - or rather 'deadlines' - are fighting with me over the idea to let players just play with setting. But they are playing wrong setting now.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-12-2020, 12:12 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

On the subject, satirical take on the subject...

Dungeon Master Finally Writes Perfect Campaign, Distributes Scripts to Players

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Dungeon Master Daniel Hyde recently finished writing his ideal D&D campaign and released the final draft of its script to his players, according to sources familiar with the situation. “I’ve done it,” said Hyde. “I’ve authored the greatest campaign imaginable, and as long as everyone memorizes their characters’ lines before our next game, absolutely nothing can go wrong.”
                      While most members of the party lauded the plot, characters, and overall writing therein, they were also baffled and frustrated by the lack of room left for the players to impact the story. Members of Hyde’s Sunday tabletop group reflected these sentiments.
                      “It definitely caught us all off guard,” said Allison Wilcox, one of Hyde’s regular players. “We all love D&D because we get to roleplay, solve puzzles and participate in an interactive story. The script Dan sent us doesn’t leave room for any of that. It includes the predetermined results of our rolls and even what we’re supposed to say out of character and when we can go to the bathroom and stuff. I’ve had DMs railroad games before, but this is next-level.”

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Sorcerer/Warlock. Minimal prep, maximum emotions.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

I'd be curious what people would guess me to be.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Hmm tricky...
                            If I can only pick one I'm a warlock, your past is never safe from me.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              I'd be curious what people would guess me to be.
                              In my very limited experience with you as an ST, a Warlock. But, I could also see you as a Cleric.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                              X