How to Support Onyx Path Publishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Support Onyx Path Publishing

I don't want the recession to drag down OPP into Oblivion, or their writers and developers to starve, so I want to know how to help support the business.

Obviously, buy more books. But which lines are OPP, which are neo-White-Wolf, and are any lapsed copywrites? I'm not worried about neo-White-Wolf or OneBookShelf.com going under but I want to support OPP and I have some $ that I can spend.

I'm thinking to buy novels rather than game-books. Which 'editions' from World of Darkness and Exalted are stil sold by OPP? Do they get paid for scans of 90s novels? Is it only the 5th editions of WoD that are non-OPP?

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
    Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

There aren't any "lapsed copyrights."

Anything WoD, CofD, or Exalted related is owned by White Wolf/Paradox. Though buying those books still supports Onyx Path and Onyx Path freelancers, even if Onyx Path didn't do them. V5, for example, is done by a bunch of groups, Onyx Path included, but there's plenty of overlap in the freelancers and since Onyx Path does make V5 books, the general health of the V5 line helps sales for those books, etc.

The current Scarred Lands, Scion 2e, Trinity 2e, and They Cam From... titles are all owned by Onyx Path... so buying material from them (even community content material from the Storypath Nexus) is a boost to sales.

Dystopia Rising: Evolution, Cavaliers of Mars, and Realms of Pugmire are all owned by individuals that Onyx Path publishes for.

If you're buying from the OBS family (DriveThru, Storytellers Vault, etc.), the pages should have which publisher you're buying from on them. It's the most reliable way since it can get fuzzy otherwise.

Supporting freelancers directly usually means finding ones that have self-published games (or things like the ones above). A lot of them have Patreons or similar ways to support them as well; Mr. Gone, who's the character sheet go to for Onyx Path games has a Patreon for example.

Of course, there's also being out in the online gaming community and running games so people are playing the games. Word of mouth is still a hugely important part of RPG sales. The more people playing the books, the more sales tend to happen, etc.

Comment

Kickstarters keep getting funded so money keeps flowing in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        Kickstarters keep getting funded so money keeps flowing in.
        While I wouldn't put it this way, it is technically correct.

The best way to support Onyx Path Publishing is to Kickstart their projects.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          Supporting freelancers directly usually means finding ones that have self-published games (or things like the ones above). A lot of them have Patreons or similar ways to support them as well; Mr. Gone, who's the character sheet go to for Onyx Path games has a Patreon for example.
          On top of that, you can also support freelancers directly by buying their community content on OBS sites. A number of us have put out titles on the Slarecian Vault and Storypath Nexus (both of which are OPP properties), as well as Canis Minor (which I'm a bit fuzzier on). Some of us have also published on the Storytellers Vault, which does support Onyx Path directly, but support us and show Paradox that there is interest in WoD, CofD, and Exalted - which ideally translates to OPP making more books with those licenses.

I'm not going to post links to specific products/people unless asked for them, but I know for a fact that a lot of the Scion content in the Vault has been produced by OPP's freelancers.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

For people that are curious, if you're looking at something on any of the OBS family of websites (including the community content ones), there should be an authors section of the products page. If you click on one of the names there, it does a search for all the products they're credited in that are hosted in the system.

If you really like an Onyx Path book, you can see what other books those writers have worked on that are sold through OBS/DriveThru. If they did something solo they're selling, work on a different company's games, or community content projects, and so on. So it's a nice way to potentially support freelancers directly, and also get exposed to work of theirs you might not have thought of because it's in a system or by a publisher you don't normally follow.

Comment

Working...
            X