No announcement yet.

Why is Climate Change so controversial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The general information on things like why water wars are coming, and how inefficient many of our current systems are is good, but the (however much cynicism is justified) on how the US and the rest of the neo-liberal democratic capitalist countries will use imperial military force to make everything worse really doesn't actually help anyone know what to do about it... since we need countries like the US to fix their problems. Fresh water is not actually a simple commodity to transport long distances, so the idea that we'll intervene in fights in, say, central Africa and then siphon off water for ourselves is rather overblown.

And Bill Gates doesn't need anyone licking his shoes, but one of the good things his charity actually works on is increasing water use efficiency.... so I'm pretty sure there's lots of super rich people to attack as assholes that aren't at least trying to toss money at the problem.

So, water is going to get so scarce people are going to fight (more) over it. The US is an exemplar of bad water use culture. Rich assholes aren't going to save us (even if Bill Gates funds lots of research into these things, that's not at all enough for the globe).

Even if you had the power to snap your fingers and completely reorganize the five top water wasters in the world to your ideal governmental systems, and they passed water saving measures ASAP, it's not going to fix the problem, just delay it. It's also not going to stop small regional fights. Since it's in the news... what would you do about the already extant water crisis in the Gaza Strip? All of Gaza's water comes from Israeli water pipes, with a bit of humanitarian aid (but that's not enough to cover drinking water, let alone growing crops or basic sanitation and hygiene). You think the Israelis aren't going to take the first chance they can to cut off that water supply (it's already in drought conditions since the same water source is already also going to the West Bank, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon) so they can keep the levels they say they need?

It's great to label some bad people, and bad ideology, but it doesn't inform people about what they could actually be doing to help stop this. Keep in mind that even things like "go vegan, look at how much water we waste on cows!" runs into the point about how much we use water intensive crops for direct consumption as well. Cow's milk is actually more water efficient than almond milk is.

As I've lamented before, we're at the point where we're not going to get everything we want. Fixing the world with as broken as it is, is going to come at a price.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Thanks for the link. I'll check that out!

MrGone's Character Sheets
      For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

There is Hope for Earth! 🌏 The world should not end as postapo wasteland because of Climate Change - it will be hard, but humanity should survive. Technology, trends and social changes from the last decade show that we CAN save our home - and remade the world! More information on In a Nut Shell channel - We CAN have future like in TC Aeon or Star Trek! 🌈

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The solution to weaponized despair is shared anger, focused and directed at the fossil fuel industry.

He/Him... I just Love Witches. I am here for conversation rather than formal debate. My Hacks.

Comment

Latvia goes on Eurovision with funky song how being Green 🌏 and Vege 🥗 is great! 😎❤️

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
            X