Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Graphic] System Lineage

Hi, folks!

I whipped up a fun little thing in GraphViz/dot (if anyone is familiar) where I've attempted to chart out system inheritance amongst the various White Wolf/Onyx Path games.

Let me know what you think and/or if I've missed anything!

Check it out in my Dropbox here.

-Aranis-

Many of the innovations of the "Revised Storyteller System" -- the version of the system first used in Trinity, Aberrant, Adventure!, and Exalted 1e -- were folded back into the main WoD Storyteller branch with the appopriately-named Revised Edition. Fr'ex, 1999's Aberrant was the first game where Bashing, Lethal, and Aggravated were treated recorded as distinct kinds of damage on the health track, and that was folded back into Werewolf and Mage Revised in 2000.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager
    Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
      Many of the innovations of the "Revised Storyteller System" -- the version of the system first used in Trinity, Aberrant, Adventure!, and Exalted 1e -- were folded back into the main WoD Storyteller branch with the appopriately-named Revised Edition. Fr'ex, 1999's Aberrant was the first game where Bashing, Lethal, and Aggravated were treated recorded as distinct kinds of damage on the health track, and that was folded back into Werewolf and Mage Revised in 2000.
      That's very helpful to know! I'll make sure that my graphic reflects that after I gather any other input people might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranis View Post
        That's very helpful to know! I'll make sure that my graphic reflects that after I gather any other input people might have.
        Try this one.

Comment

Well... this is probably going to make this a bit messier:

1) On a minor personal note, I would leave out Shadowrun. There's a lot of games the influenced VtM 1e on different levels, and highlighting one probably isn't justified. There are all sorts of design elements from outside the ST family of games that don't have direct lineage from one game to a ST game that aren't being put in as well (ex: Fate Aspects and CofD Conditions).

2) WoD 5e has direct design from the CofD (ex: Touchstones from VtR 2e to V5), and the Wuxia Action System used for Weapons of the Gods of Legends of Wulin (introduced the Loresheet concept V5 uses).

3) Scion 1e was built off of Exalted 2e, not Exalted 1e.

4) Ian can obviously speak to this with more authority, but the StoryPath development cycle, despite starting with new editions of existing games, has lineage from all over the ST family of games since it wasn't directly designed as a mechanical refinement of any of the previous books. As a graphic concern, StoryPath should also probably have it's own box, as it covers games besides Trinity 2e and Scion 2e (namely Dystopian Rising: Evolution and They Came From...!). As WoD 5e is moved to a separate box to denote a major system change despite being the same setting as the earlier WoD games, it would appropriate for StoryPath to be in it's own box (esp. as all four iterations of StoryPath so far are mechanically tweaked for the needs of each line).

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            Well... this is probably going to make this a bit messier:

1) On a minor personal note, I would leave out Shadowrun. There's a lot of games the influenced VtM 1e on different levels, and highlighting one probably isn't justified. There are all sorts of design elements from outside the ST family of games that don't have direct lineage from one game to a ST game that aren't being put in as well (ex: Fate Aspects and CofD Conditions).

2) WoD 5e has direct design from the CofD (ex: Touchstones from VtR 2e to V5), and the Wuxia Action System used for Weapons of the Gods of Legends of Wulin (introduced the Loresheet concept V5 uses).

3) Scion 1e was built off of Exalted 2e, not Exalted 1e.

4) Ian can obviously speak to this with more authority, but the StoryPath development cycle, despite starting with new editions of existing games, has lineage from all over the ST family of games since it wasn't directly designed as a mechanical refinement of any of the previous books. As a graphic concern, StoryPath should also probably have it's own box, as it covers games besides Trinity 2e and Scion 2e (namely Dystopian Rising: Evolution and They Came From...!). As WoD 5e is moved to a separate box to denote a major system change despite being the same setting as the earlier WoD games, it would appropriate for StoryPath to be in it's own box (esp. as all four iterations of StoryPath so far are mechanically tweaked for the needs of each line).
            Right you are, Heavy Arms! I'll be redoing that this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranis View Post
              Right you are, Heavy Arms! I'll be redoing that this afternoon.
              Try this one.

Comment

Looking good. The bottom right corner is also nice and open for when Exalted: Essence comes out. Not sure how you're going to want to classify that as it's supposed to be an offshoot of Exalted 3e that's parallel rather than sequential to it (and seems like it's pulling on a bunch of lessons learned in Storypath's development).

So... here's a big question: Do you want to start looking at the Mind's Eye Theater lines? On one hand, the LARP rule sets are largely independent from the TT rules, but there are a few places where they bump into each other.

Comment

Working...
                X