Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you typically play characters of the same gender and age as yourself?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you typically play characters of the same gender and age as yourself?

I typically play female characters (though I have had a couple male PCs), but I like to mix up the ages of my characters a lot.

For V:tM and V:tR, by “age” I mean the age you were Embraced.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Played enough girls that I wondered if there might be a reason why. Figured it out at 21

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

No. Obviously when Storytelling I play a wide range of characters. As a player I tend to go 50/50 my gender or something else, though that's more new. Ages all over the board, tend towards young.
      Last edited by nofather; 06-28-2020, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I like to play shapeshifters, of various kinds, where I'm cis bisex bear man. So... kinda not? Kinda yes? I just like shapeshifting, where I'm cis on day-to-day basis.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Ages can be all over the place from kids to old age. Never generated a female character though, played them as npcs when i gm, but never had any interest in a long-term character.

I can only think of two people I've played with that actually played a character that wasn't the same sex as them

Prone to being a Classic Curmudgeon, goshdarned whippersnappers...

Comment

Awesome!!! Thanks for answering.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

I typically play characters that share my gender, but not exclusively. Age I tend to jump around a lot more on, though I find a lot of RPGs orient towards starting ages of 20-30 (or equivalent for non-humans). Either as established enough to be competent but still young enough for a lot of potential room for growth, or for game where characters tend to live a very long time, they tend to stop aging (or have it stopped) in their physical prime.

Comment

Heavy Arms In Dungeons and Dragons most of my characters and the characters of people I’ve played with have been in their late teens to mid-twenties (or the equivalent for nonhumans). For WoD and Trinity Continuum the age range has been more diverse.

I think people usually play the gender they feel most comfortable with. I prefer female characters, but I’ve had two male PCs, once when we were all just goofing around and once in a more serious long-term campaign.

Comment

I think there is a contextual element.

IME one-shot con games, and certain styles of online play seem to be much more likely to have people playing farther from their personal identities. Con one-shots tend to mean being handed a pre-gen sheet and doing your best to run with the notes you get, so nobody's feeling too self conscious about how well they're doing. A forum PbP game means you only have to try to convey things via text; nobody is expecting you to try to match accents, inflections, and other affectations to help get into character even if it isn't serious acting.

One of the things I definitely had to get over when I shifted from player to GM, was my nervousness about playing characters I simply can't act out in any meaningful way. When I was me, playing another teen white guy, they sounded authentic to me because I was playing something close enough to me that I felt it sounded right. Playing a 20 something looking actually over 100 year old female vampire that immigrated from China to the US, and having her sound like me? It felt exceedingly inauthentic because wtf did I know about sounding like someone with that experience? She just sounded like me (or worse me doing really bad voice work). As a GM, I'm never going to be someone who's NPCs are memorable because of my acting chops, so I know I need to put in my work on making them have moments in other forms. But I think this is something that probably impacts a lot of people.

When you take away the pressure of live performance of characters, i've seen people far more willing to try things.

Comment

Heavy Arms I totally understand.

Both of my male characters I created myself (not pregens). One, Liam O’Rourke of House Leanhaun, I took a lot of time creating and I played him over the course of several months. The other was a half-ogre barbarian named Zorg who liked to kill stuff and get laid a lot. I basically played him for shits and giggles over the course of a weekend with my friends.

Comment

If playing in person, I'm 95% likely to play as male. The exception is the handful of times I've had one whose personality was directly based off a fictional character I was able to mimic moderately well. (Rarity from MLP works surprisingly well as both Glass Walker and Etherite.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I’m about 60/40 gender-wise, leaning toward playing women though I’m a man. Age is all over the map, though I think 20’s are most common. Most of my games have been by text, which does make it easier .

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

No One of Consequence,@Dex Davican cool.

Comment

As a genderfluid person, it’s kind of a shrodinger’s cat situation as to whether or not any given character I play is the same gender as me. But I play characters of genders and ages across the board.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Charlaquin awesome! 😊

Comment

Working...
                              X