Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you typically play characters of the same gender and age as yourself?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you typically play characters of the same gender and age as yourself?

I typically play female characters (though I have had a couple male PCs), but I like to mix up the ages of my characters a lot.

For V:tM and V:tR, by “age” I mean the age you were Embraced.

• Mr Sharp
    replied
    I don't have a proper overview, but guess I play about 50/50, with periods of playing a lot more female characters than male. Partly to liven up the roleplaying experience after only playing dudes for the first decade of my tenure, and partly because female fictional characters tend to be thin as paper and boring and/or predictable as hell, even and especially these days, and it's refreshing to get to do it right yourself and write and play a woman with something resembling depth and passion. Sans silly stereotypes, Mary Sueness or ridiculous overcompensation.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Played enough girls that I wondered if there might be a reason why. Figured it out at 21
    This, but took me a while longer.

But I had a variety of chars. It actually took one character of mine changing sex due to a magical curse during a D&D campaign for me to begging playing females. I have a tendency to prefer young characters because I like the sense of a relatively fresh slate, but with time I did a number of characters of other ages, too, and I try to go for other ethnicities with some frequency.

For the last years, though, I'm the ST too frequently, so not many characters of my own. I think the most recent one was for a L5R game, so young and Fake-Japanese because that's the game's standard anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Darksol-aeternium
    replied
    Hm, I've now realized that I've never played an actual female character of my own (I don't count NPCs portrayed while acting as an ST), but I guess it never occurred to me to even want to. Usually my own characters are either androgynous, or monstrous, so it's not something that comes up. Last time someone asked me if my character might be into someone I rolled a die to randomly see if they had a preference other and Ace/Aro.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    I normally play characters that are male and are usually look my age. In my case mid 40's and in regards to VTM & VTR I was playing characters that were embraced in the 1800's and my eldest Changeling The Lost Character was taken in 1900 and returned in 1920 or so and appears to be in his late 50's currently.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Charlaquin awesome! 😊

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    As a genderfluid person, it’s kind of a shrodinger’s cat situation as to whether or not any given character I play is the same gender as me. But I play characters of genders and ages across the board.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No One of Consequence,@Dex Davican cool.

Leave a comment:

• Dex Davican
    replied
    I’m about 60/40 gender-wise, leaning toward playing women though I’m a man. Age is all over the map, though I think 20’s are most common. Most of my games have been by text, which does make it easier .

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    If playing in person, I'm 95% likely to play as male. The exception is the handful of times I've had one whose personality was directly based off a fictional character I was able to mimic moderately well. (Rarity from MLP works surprisingly well as both Glass Walker and Etherite.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Heavy Arms I totally understand.

Both of my male characters I created myself (not pregens). One, Liam O’Rourke of House Leanhaun, I took a lot of time creating and I played him over the course of several months. The other was a half-ogre barbarian named Zorg who liked to kill stuff and get laid a lot. I basically played him for shits and giggles over the course of a weekend with my friends.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I think there is a contextual element.

IME one-shot con games, and certain styles of online play seem to be much more likely to have people playing farther from their personal identities. Con one-shots tend to mean being handed a pre-gen sheet and doing your best to run with the notes you get, so nobody's feeling too self conscious about how well they're doing. A forum PbP game means you only have to try to convey things via text; nobody is expecting you to try to match accents, inflections, and other affectations to help get into character even if it isn't serious acting.

One of the things I definitely had to get over when I shifted from player to GM, was my nervousness about playing characters I simply can't act out in any meaningful way. When I was me, playing another teen white guy, they sounded authentic to me because I was playing something close enough to me that I felt it sounded right. Playing a 20 something looking actually over 100 year old female vampire that immigrated from China to the US, and having her sound like me? It felt exceedingly inauthentic because wtf did I know about sounding like someone with that experience? She just sounded like me (or worse me doing really bad voice work). As a GM, I'm never going to be someone who's NPCs are memorable because of my acting chops, so I know I need to put in my work on making them have moments in other forms. But I think this is something that probably impacts a lot of people.

When you take away the pressure of live performance of characters, i've seen people far more willing to try things.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Heavy Arms In Dungeons and Dragons most of my characters and the characters of people I’ve played with have been in their late teens to mid-twenties (or the equivalent for nonhumans). For WoD and Trinity Continuum the age range has been more diverse.

I think people usually play the gender they feel most comfortable with. I prefer female characters, but I’ve had two male PCs, once when we were all just goofing around and once in a more serious long-term campaign.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I typically play characters that share my gender, but not exclusively. Age I tend to jump around a lot more on, though I find a lot of RPGs orient towards starting ages of 20-30 (or equivalent for non-humans). Either as established enough to be competent but still young enough for a lot of potential room for growth, or for game where characters tend to live a very long time, they tend to stop aging (or have it stopped) in their physical prime.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Awesome!!! Thanks for answering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X