Vampire Book Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire Book Club

While writing for my VTM V5 game, I found myself turning towards vampire literature to try and get a sense for why I fell in love with vampires in the first place. Which to me meant revisiting all the vampire books from my teen years (and yes that includes Twilight...)

On my list to read or I am currently reading is:

House of Night Series (by PC and Kristen Cast)
    Twilight Series (by Stephenie Meyer)
    Night World Series (by LJ Smith)

Renfield's Journal (by George DeVein) [I discovered this as an adult and got to meet the author]

As many Clan Novels I can get my hands on for Vampire the Masquerade

So now I'm wondering what vampire based books have you been reading and would you recommend them to others?

Storyteller of Boston by Night on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/theonyxpath
    Fan of WOD Since 2013

The Rhesus Chart from the Laundry Files series offers a unique take on vampires. The "Phangs" as they are called are parasitized by the extradimensional entities informally known as V-symbionts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
      The Rhesus Chart from the Laundry Files series offers a unique take on vampires. The "Phangs" as they are called are parasitized by the extradimensional entities informally known as V-symbionts.

"extradimentional"

Like Science Fiction or Lovecraftian?

Fan of WOD Since 2013

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleCLight View Post

"extradimentional"

Like Science Fiction or Lovecraftian?
        The latter, not to spoil too much but the entity finds its host after they solve a complex hyper math equation.
        Last edited by Dwight; 08-13-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post

The latter, not to spoil too much but the entity finds its host after they solve a complex hyper math equation.

Eldritch Math, I'm hooked.

Fan of WOD Since 2013

Comment

Bram Stoker's Dracula and the first three parts of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned). They're all pretty good reads, but they're also where the vast bulk of the game originates from.

Stephen King's short story "The Night Flier", as well as his novel 'Salem's Lot.

Christopher Moore's Love Story trilogy, which is mainly a comedy, but is a lot of fun and the vampire elements are really good. Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck, and Bite Me.

George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream.

John Lindqvist's Let the Right One In.

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula, which is an "alternate history" thing in which Dracula wins and is now ruler of Great Britain.

Neil Gaiman's short story "Snow, Glass, Apples", which also has a graphic novel adaption.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              Bram Stoker's Dracula and the first three parts of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned). They're all pretty good reads, but they're also where the vast bulk of the game originates from.

I've been meaning to read Anne Rice, but I get thrown back in time to when people were afraid to post anything about those series online for fear of being sued.

Fan of WOD Since 2013

Comment

I've been meaning to read Anne Rice, but I get thrown back in time to when people were afraid to post anything about those series online for fear of being sued.
                Ah, yes, the early days of the Internet, when all the publishers were in dreadful fear of it stealing all their money. And then they learned they could use it to get everyone to just rent their material instead of actually buying it, and all was well.

Seriously though, Rice's first three Vampire Chronicles books, and to a lesser extent Ramses the Damned (her mummy novel) and The Witching Hour (which inspired the Arcanum), are the ones I recommend to anyone who is a fan of Vampire, as they had such a huge influence on the first edition and early years of the game.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

While writing for my VTM V5 game, I found myself turning towards vampire literature to try and get a sense for why I fell in love with vampires in the first place. Which to me meant revisiting all the vampire books from my teen years (and yes that includes Twilight...)

On my list to read or I am currently reading is:

House of Night Series (by PC and Kristen Cast)
                  Twilight Series (by Stephenie Meyer)
                  Night World Series (by LJ Smith)

Renfield's Journal (by George DeVein) [I discovered this as an adult and got to meet the author]

As many Clan Novels I can get my hands on for Vampire the Masquerade

So now I'm wondering what vampire based books have you been reading and would you recommend them to others?

Oooo Finally That's a topic to my liking!!!
                  Hello
                  I love vampire theme. Ever since the Twilight saga, when I was still a naive child. A little off topic, sorry. So, I have a little rum that you might be interested in. Novel "Guilty Pleasures" by Laurell K. Hamilton link wowessays to a short description is of course far from twilight, but it is written so that the head is spinning. So who is interested in cruel scary vampires, take a note

Comment

Working...
                  X