Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Onyx Path keep putting out products even if the election goes badly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Onyx Path keep putting out products even if the election goes badly?

Sorry. Idk as much about politics as I should and this really worries me. Thanks.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Given they've been a game company for 9 years and have industry veterans, I doubt regular politics will keep Onyx Path from putting out product.

What product they do put out depends on the economy, including shipping and distribution. At least in the U.S., game companies have been impacted by government response to Covid-19. You can't print a book if your printer is closed, which has happened to several companies (the deluxe print of Wolves of God by Sine Nominee Press and the Knights of the Dinner Table Magazine are two products I know of that were delayed due to the printers being closed). Also, if shipping and printing is impacted, that impacts the cash flows from those projects (might be later payment, less sales, different payments for printing, etc).

Most of the creation of games is intellectual work, so a lot has to be done for a print product even before it gets printed. The Monday meeting notes, if you click on the 'more' in the announcements link, shows a lot of products in the pipeline and the stages they are at.

Prudent organizations realize that while they can do great work and they can control many factors related to getting great products or services to customers, the outside world does impact them.

I wouldn't be worried--it is clear from the Monday Meeting notes that there's a lot of thought going into working with everyone to get us the awesome games Onyx Path and its partners want to sell us.

Comment

Okay 😊. Thanks.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

However you feel about the potential results of the election, the impact of them is unlikely to be immediate. Even if things get very ugly, people are going to want (if not need) entertainment that helps them get through rough times, and Onyx Path doesn't really need to be attached to a specific physical location for most of what they do. Things might slow down, but outright stopping seems unlikely. Even during the US Civil War, society didn't come to a screeching halt, and while there's a lot of reasons to be worried about an uptick in politically motivated violence, it's doubtful to escalate to the level of a true war.

Frankly, a lot of things that could really harm Onyx Path in the immediate future are going to come up regardless of the election. The Supreme Court hearing an ACA case is going to happen, and if they rule against the law it's going to make life even harder for most freelancers in period of high unemployment (and job growth isn't in great jobs). That's not going to get fixed fast if it happens, so a lot of the writers are going to have to focus on day jobs and less on RPGs, possibly never really coming back.

Comment

Thank you. The first paragraph makes me feel a little better.

Comment

Heavy Arms question. Freelancers and gaming companies existed before the ACA was passed. Why can’t they continue to exist after it’s struck down?

I can fake it when I need to, but politics aren’t my strong suit.
            Last edited by Penelope; 10-21-2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I didn't say it would cause Onyx Path to cease to exist, just that it would be harmful to freelancers, and with how much OPP relies on freelancers it could seriously disrupt workflow.

Since so few people working on RPGs in general are full time employees with benefits from their RPG work, the ACA represents a slew of important protections on top of easier access to purchasing individual insurance. Those protections all dropping next month, and no real chance of a fix before January when most insurance plans expire, is going to be horrible for lots of people, but more so for people that don't have employer based insurance.

Basically, the harder insurance is to get, the more it pushes RPG freelancers into spending their time in more lucrative pursuits. RPGs don't pay well, so their health plans jumping up (or ceasing to exist) means doing work that pays more even if they're less passionate about it, because living is more important. If the freelancer pool shrinks, books take longer to make because less people are working on the same amount of material (as well as running into issues regarding diversity in writing and development; these things hit women, BIPOC, and people with disabilities hardest). Even if the freelancer pool gets replenished by people that have stable incomes/insurance from outside the industry, it takes time to get people writing up to standards.

Image how big of a wrench it would throw into the gears of things if half the writers/editors/developers/etc. OPP relies on had to stop taking contracts because they need to move to a better paying gig. That, by itself, would set OPP back a huge deal in terms of keeping up a pace of releases and thus cashflow (nobody can get paid if no books get made, and if books slow down, there's a longer gap between finishing work and getting paid as well). Even if there's a flood of new freelancers coming in, there's going to be a significant delay just in terms of getting them used to how OPP does things.

Comment

Got it. Thanks for explaining that to me.

Comment

I believe OPP pays half when the transcript is received and the remainder at publication. So when you have something getting released almost two years after you get initially paid......

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                    I believe OPP pays half when the transcript is received and the remainder at publication. So when you have something getting released almost two years after you get initially paid......
                    We have a variety of payment arrangements depending on the creator. And we have often paid before publication when a project has dragged on through no fault of the writing team.

Penelope: Don't worry, we continue to be cautious in keeping an eye on the effects of real-world developments. Thanks for being concerned!

Comment

Originally posted by RichT View Post

We have a variety of payment arrangements depending on the creator. And we have often paid before publication when a project has dragged on through no fault of the writing team.

Penelope: Don't worry, we continue to be cautious in keeping an eye on the effects of real-world developments. Thanks for being concerned!
                      Thank you 😊😊😊

Comment

About the Monday Meeting Notes: Happy 🥰🥰🥰

Comment

Is there gonna be something really bad happening on the 6th (Wednesday) cause of the election? People are saying there will be and I’m getting really nervous.

Comment

No, but yes.

There's going to be a procedural stunt. It isn't going to change anything this election.

The bad thing is a party blatantly abusing a system designed to safe guard free and fair elections to subvert them instead. The only reason this isn't going to work, is that currently the House and Senate are divided. If the Republicans controlled the House right now instead, and managed to keep their members in line in both houses, they could vote to make Trump president despite the election, and the Electoral College.

This many members of one party basically saying that they're willing to overthrow democracy is bad, even if the attempt fails, because nothing stops them from doing it when they can succeed.

Comment

Thank you. That explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X