No announcement yet.

How would you spend a trillion dollars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you spend a trillion dollars?

It isn't going to be long before our current economic system produces the world's first trillionaire. If you had just made your first trillion, what would you spend it on?

He/Him... I just Love Witches. I am here for conversation rather than formal debate. My Hacks.

Originally posted by HorizonParty2021 View Post
    It isn't going to be long before our current economic system produces the world's first trillionaire. If you had just made your first trillion, what would you spend it on?

To be fair - and boring, quite boring indeed - i would probably spend only the first million and put the rest in savings & investments until i have other uses for that. Then i would probably waste my life between games as usual and possibly look into some undersea/subterranean/aerial/space exploration-colonization projects to put some of that money to use, maybe actually finance one or two.

Comment

Well, there is this exiled Nigerian prince offering male enhancement opportunities ....

Actually, probably some sort of trust.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

If I had a trillion dollars, there wouldn't be any more homeless or hungry people in the US. Hell, with that kind of money maybe even in the whole world.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
          If I had a trillion dollars, there wouldn't be any more homeless or hungry people in the US. Hell, with that kind of money maybe even in the whole world.
          You could give 10 million dollars to every person in the world and still be the top of the 1% so yeah. Though I'd expect prices to skyrocket once companies found out there was someone trying to do it.

It's basically more money than you could spend in a lifetime, at least until people decided that rent was a hundred billion a month and artificially inflated other values. It's a thousand billion, or a million million. Even something as simple as putting it in a savings account means whichever bank you picked to do so now would rise tremendously in value or knock every other one out of any sense of competition. The biggest bank in the world, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, has about 4 trillion in assets.

I suppose to answer, feed everyone and develop some sort of education system. Could always just buy news agencies like Fox and ensure they weren't pushing the divisiveness, sexism, and racism. I mean even then you have enough money to spend on whatever you want personally, so you'd be looking at other more widespread changes, like Baaldam's exploration or altering the landscape of assorted industries.
          Last edited by nofather; 12-10-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

You could give 10 million dollars to every person in the world and still be the top of the 1% so yeah. Though I'd expect prices to skyrocket once companies found out there was someone trying to do it.
            I think that math is way off. There's around 8 billion people in the world, so if you gave everyone 10 million dollars, that would be 80 quadrillion dollars. 80 quadrillion is one trillion multiplied by 80 thousand. Mathematically if you divide a trillion by 8 billion that would leave 125. So with 1 trillion dollars, you'd be able to write everyone in the world a check for about $125. That would be a life-changing amount of money in many parts of the world, but not terribly noticeable in others.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I think that math is way off. There's around 8 billion people in the world, so if you gave everyone 10 million dollars, that would be 80 quadrillion dollars. 80 quadrillion is one trillion multiplied by 80 thousand. Mathematically if you divide a trillion by 8 billion that would leave 125. So with 1 trillion dollars, you'd be able to write everyone in the world a check for about $125. That would be a life-changing amount of money in many parts of the world, but not terribly noticeable in others.
              You're right. The industry shifting would be what you'd focus on to feed the ~700 million undernourished and ~150 million homeless.

Comment

Vienna, Austria is the city that social housing advocates are looking to as having one of the boldest visions actually put in practice to make affordable housing available for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41VJudBdYXY

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdred...le_011314.html

It is hard to quickly find info on the average cost to provide one person with affordable housing and I wanted to find such info to make calculation easier when considering how far a trillion dollars would go. There is definitely a high cost imposed on society by having people live on the street.

Aircrete home building is a relatively new thing. It is claimed that this construction method can be used to build houses for a tiny fraction of what it would cost to build houses using standard methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcdwDRNPzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzCXNlqDW6M

He/Him... I just Love Witches. I am here for conversation rather than formal debate. My Hacks.

Comment

I would establish a non-profit that helped people start businesses, no matter how small, related to sustainable development. This would include microlending and the building of things like preassembled aquaponic kits sold at cost.

Comment

Hmmm.....
                    Nonprofits get tangled in legality and corrupted.
                    Corporate policy makers inflate the world in the face of charities or handouts.
                    Bandits, conmen, and warlords make distribution of funds to the needy impossible.
                    Revolutionary research for medical cures and such gets blocked by stale old policy & politics.
                    No politician can clean up ANY country worth a damn.
                    Seems the problem is people.

So then, with a trillion dollars I'd launch several villainous organizations as a shadow backer. One ecoterrorist org, one anarchist org, and e-terrorist org and aim them at the source of the problems as a punishment. To cover my tracks the first casualty of the e-terrorists will be myself, as they'll hack my accounts and "steal" all their funding while neglecting to take the money from the modest savings and investments I'd use to remove the need for me to work. Between insurance payouts and loss of incriminating data it will never come to light I was involved as anything but a victim. in the meantime various obstructive special interest groups, politicos, and corporate entities will be plagued by everything from vandals to assassins and I can sit back and watch the chaos unfold.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                      Hmmm.....
                      Nonprofits get tangled in legality and corrupted.
                      Corporate policy makers inflate the world in the face of charities or handouts.
                      Bandits, conmen, and warlords make distribution of funds to the needy impossible.
                      Revolutionary research for medical cures and such gets blocked by stale old policy & politics.
                      No politician can clean up ANY country worth a damn.
                      Seems the problem is people.

So then, with a trillion dollars I'd launch several villainous organizations as a shadow backer. One ecoterrorist org, one anarchist org, and e-terrorist org and aim them at the source of the problems as a punishment. To cover my tracks the first casualty of the e-terrorists will be myself, as they'll hack my accounts and "steal" all their funding while neglecting to take the money from the modest savings and investments I'd use to remove the need for me to work. Between insurance payouts and loss of incriminating data it will never come to light I was involved as anything but a victim. in the meantime various obstructive special interest groups, politicos, and corporate entities will be plagued by everything from vandals to assassins and I can sit back and watch the chaos unfold.

That's beautiful - lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X