Legend of Korra season 3: Electric Jamboree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legend of Korra season 3: Electric Jamboree

So the new Korra season is rumored to be airing fairly soon. I thought I would start the inevitable Avatar thread so we could discuss what we liked about the previous seasons as well as what we hope will happen in the next one.

Personally, I'm really, really hoping that the whole "Dark avatar" thing is never mentioned once in the remaining seasons. The whole thing just felt utterly ridiculous to me as a concept in the Avatar universe.

I hope we get to see more spirit stuff, that was really cool. Although I hope they aren't all "rawr humans bad nature good!" again. That was lame.

Also, less holding of the idiot ball. The series has so much potential that it has yet to live up to, I really don't want the whole thing to be a giant flop.

The entire Korra series has been ridiculous to the Avatar Universe. If Korra had stayed about Probending and dealing with gangs we would have gotten very focused more down to earth series. It tried to be more "Epic" then avatar and George Lucused the fuck out of itself. I'm not really going to watch it anymore but I'm just mad about Korra in general. It had a lot of potential but it's all been wasted. Amon while a good villain is part of the issue that it had. Season 2 only made it worse. Season 3 from what I've seen hasn't changed the mold.
    Last edited by Epimetheus; 06-09-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

And so it begins again...

Comment

Oh shit, I just now remembered this existed. I stopped watching mid-season 2, and I'm not sure I'm entirely interested in catching up.

I'm not sure Korra is actually a terrible series. Maybe it's just not as mind-numbingly awesome as the Last Airbender, but then again, that's a high bar. On the other hand, it's certainly not being handled well, and the fact that I just left an Avatar series mid-season with no real regrets does speak volumes.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

It's not exactly bad - the animation is top notch, seeing the setting progress from the original series is certainly interesting*, there are many brilliant characters, and overall I've quite enjoyed watching it.

That said, as a sequel to this near-perfect thing Avatar: the Last Airbender was, it fails. Miserably. It started off pretty good, with a naive, hot-headed protagonist facing a social issue that couldn't be either talked down easily or punched in the face until it went away, but then it all went downhill. First season had a decent story, but felt rushed, especially in it's conclusion - I really think it needed a few more episodes to wrap things up, and I'd much rather they left the issue of Korra losing her bending for season two (though I understand that wasn't on the table as they needed to wrap everything up in case the series got discontinued - still, executive meddling may explain missed potential, but not excuse it).

Then, season two pretty much abandoned all nuance in an effort to crank things up to eleven, and it sucked. They turned probably the subtlest, most morally ambiguous setting in the history of children television into yet another good versus evil cliche with a Stupid Evil villain whose grand plan would make Skeletor cringe. The season still had it's moments - for all my misgivings about the changes to the mythology of the setting, the story of the First Avatar had a gorgeous style, a powerful setting and a great, likable protagonist, and I couldn't help but feel warm when Korra met Uncle Iroh in the spirit world - but as a whole, it was weak, forced, and contrary to the first season, seemed horribly dragged.

I'll still watch the third season, mostly in hopes of seeing more Tenzin (or, as my friends and I call him, Kejak's nicer brother) and several other characters I've grown fond of, and on the off-chance they'll get their shit together and finally give us something worthy of it's great predecessor, but I'm not holding my breath.

*I usually don't give such issues much thought, but writing this rant I realized the "updated" setting feels a bit... whitewashed? It's not like they neglected the ethnic diversity of the original, but compared to this awesomely exotic world straight out of Asian myths that was given to us in the original series, it's like they tried to downplay the exotic and ethnically diverse aspects by burying them under as many trappings of a modern western civilization as possible. It's not a major problem for me, and it's not like I don't like the new setting (and I greatly appreciate the amount of thought they've put into blending magic and technology in an internally consistent way, rather than just handwaving the whole industrial revolution entirely), but I think in a way it feels more standard by the inclusion of all the technology, something you'd expect to see in a Saturday morning cartoon, and not quite as alien (and thus interesting) as the setting of the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
            *I usually don't give such issues much thought, but writing this rant I realized the "updated" setting feels a bit... whitewashed? It's not like they neglected the ethnic diversity of the original, but compared to this awesomely exotic world straight out of Asian myths that was given to us in the original series, it's like they tried to downplay the exotic and ethnically diverse aspects by burying them under as many trappings of a modern western civilization as possible.
            Welcome to early 20th century Shanghai.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
              The season still had it's moments - for all my misgivings about the changes to the mythology of the setting, the story of the First Avatar had a gorgeous style, a powerful setting and a great, likable protagonist, and I couldn't help but feel warm when Korra met Uncle Iroh in the spirit world - but as a whole, it was weak, forced, and contrary to the first season, seemed horribly dragged.
              The tragic part is that Wan basically had more growth and development in the two episodes he appeared in than Korra did throughout two seasons. He started out as a petty thief and survivor, and grew into the first Avatar, the saviour of humanity and bridge between worlds. Korra? She started out as a rash, stubborn kid whose only solution to problems is to punch them and ended up the exact same way. She also decided to go through with a plan concocted by a lunatic, but had not stopped for five seconds to think about where the Equalists are coming from. The merging of the worlds, incidentally, basically screws over non-benders something fierce - as Bumi's oh-so-hilarious stumbling around showed, they're utterly powerless against spirits. So they're going to be entirely reliant on benders for protection against spirits who misbehave. Good going, Korra. I'm sure the surviving Equalists appreciate being proven right about you.

I'm probably going to watch Season Three, but it'll be due to my morbid curiosity that I can't suppress. The first season of Korra was a massive disappointment and the second one followed up on that. I've honestly begun to think the success of Last Airbender was mostly an accident. Or maybe the writers just can't handle subtlety - TLA took one of the most basic, well-worn premises in the history of fiction and made it good. Then they tried to introduce more complex issues in Season One of Korra, and planted their faces in the mud while doing it. They created a brilliant antagonist in Amon, and then they proceeded to ruin them within a half hour of exposition - from a mysterious, charismatic terrorist mastermind who scares the Avatar herself witless despite being a non-bender, he turned into a bloodbender with daddy issues, incoherent motivation and implausible powers, who was ultimately defeated through a combination of an inexplicable bout of stupidity and dumb luck.

Then again, Season Two had no subtlety whatsoever and yet it failed as well. So who knows.
              Last edited by Morty; 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

If you can steel yourself, I highly recommend not watching the season until it's complete. Not that it necessarily improves anything, but you save yourself a lot of mental hassle that comes with concocting potential future scenarios the real show can't live up to. Just 1.5X through the talky scenes, savor the fights, and then go back and read the forum discussions where people gave the writers way too much as they tried to extrapolate hypothetical plots.

The ongoing "Varrick is the Big Bad and will be important!!" arguments were particularly amusing after a binge intake of the season.

Good going, Korra. I'm sure the surviving Equalists appreciate being proven right about you.
                This requires the show actually acknowledging the Equalists ever again [sadtrombone.gif].

Comment

It's interesting to note what depths people see in Korra's character arc. I mostly view it as wasted potential (I view a lot of things in the Legend of Korra as sadly wasted potential; oh, that first season had such promise), but it's interesting nonetheless.

There are no problems, only plothooks.
                  Terrifying Argent Witches Hub
                  Originally posted by Dex Davican
                  I need them for my collection: Enormous Gonads of 2012: A Retrospective.

Comment

I just wanted Kung-fu Hustle Avatar, was that so much to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Side Item View Post
                      This requires the show actually acknowledging the Equalists ever again [sadtrombone.gif].
                      To be fair, if I screwed up that badly as a writer, I'd want to forget it too.

Comment

Now would probably be as appropriate a time as any to post the comic I drew immediately after seeing the Season 2 finale.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

I've avoided all Korra threads wherever I'm at. The reason is that I keep reading "mñe the show's not cool as Aang's mñeee"... And although I respect that anyone can have his own opinion, I can't help but feel like people are unfair with the things they like. This begs the question "why did you like it in the first place only to start hating it later?", and many would blame the creators: "this or that didn't make sense" "the previous show didn't do this or that" "X was lame" etc...

And you know, being a creator is hard, The Legend of Aang wasn't perfect, but it was a GREAT show, and I as part of the audience have chosen to focus on the things I like, and if you ask me what I think about Avatar (both Legend of Aang and Korra) I'll say "It is a great show, and I feel like the creators really have their hearts on the story they want to tell, and really gave life to the characters they wanted us to know". I don't give a damn if a certain nerd on the internet rages because of the lion turtle or Zukko's mom or whatever.

But you know... being part of the audience is hard too. You can either simply sit in front of the TV and say "this is bullshit" or you can remember why you decided to sit, you wanted to get into little worlds not your own maybe. You decided to witness whatever happens for a couple of hours. And sudenly people like Avatar, and for whatever reason feel like they have the absolute right to "know" how it should have been done. I'm sorry, but the story is still a creation of the creators. The audience tends to get corrosive about things that should make them happy. They're still making the show! We can still see this type of characters! The animation and action sequences are of the best quality! There aren't many shows like Avatar. And everything people dislike isn't enough to objectively say "The show is crap".

Remember the Street Fighter movie? THAT WAS CRAP. And nowadays people talk about it and even watch it with a lighter mood, and say "this crap is so awesomely crap!". What's wrong with us? Why can we enjoy goofy shit just because it is nostalgic, while the good stuff "isn't good enough for our finest tastes"?

And last... Say what you will about the Legend of Korra, but in a world in which cheap ass creators are terrified to push stories further, a world in which every now and then we get PREQUELS or MIDQUELS, we have to admit the Legend of Korra has balls to show us the world beyond Legend of Aang. Not many creators have the courage and talent to do so. I applaud their decision and enjoy the story they show me, not the one I "think I could have done better".

I hope nobody gets mad at me, these were just my two cents and I'll be leaving this topic in 3, 2, 1...

Join the Strife

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm the only one that thought season 2 was better than season 1.

Season 1 had too much going on and didn't really focus on anything. Not enough time was given to Korra's development as a person, not enough time was given to the Equalists for them to become credible, the thing with the city's criminal gangs almost got glossed over entirely... I get the impression that the authors weren't all on board with each other about how the whole season would play out, or maybe they had gotten used to having multiple seasons to spend faffing around. The Last Airbender was good, but it had a LOT of airtime to develop things gradually, and it used a fair amount of filler.

Season 2 was more coherent. There was one major plot that got introduced in the first episode that got almost exclusive focus for every following episode. All of the sideplots were clearly tied to the main one. I can't really think of anything that I feel didn't get enough explanation or could have been given more development time.

Also, I would like to state my belief that the Avatar fandom is utterly insane. They're right up there with the MLP and the Portal 2 lunatics who invest so much mental energy into interpreting and understanding and sharing what they feel about what is, at the end of the day, a cartoon intended for light entertainment.
                            Last edited by semicasual; 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM. Reason: "A cartoon aimed at teenagers" is easily misconstrued

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

I often feel the same, Gonzo. I generally try to be positive, to focus on what things do well, and I think there's a lot to love in the first two seasons of Legend of Korra. Many characters were great, and the show has a lot of exciting and moving moments leading up to the finales.

It's just... nothing bugs me quite like missed potential and stumbling climaxes. Where I felt The Last Airbender took a while to get going, Legend of Korra was excellent up until the ending, where it stumbled and fell. And... I much prefer the former. The Last Airbender's ending wasn't quite what I was hoping for either, but not to that level.

Still, I'm going to watch the third season, and hope that this time it reaches a conclusion I find satisfying. And even if it doesn't... I'll still have a lot of fun on the way there, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X