X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayTee
    started a topic Legend of Korra season 3: Electric Jamboree

Legend of Korra season 3: Electric Jamboree

So the new Korra season is rumored to be airing fairly soon. I thought I would start the inevitable Avatar thread so we could discuss what we liked about the previous seasons as well as what we hope will happen in the next one.

Personally, I'm really, really hoping that the whole "Dark avatar" thing is never mentioned once in the remaining seasons. The whole thing just felt utterly ridiculous to me as a concept in the Avatar universe.

I hope we get to see more spirit stuff, that was really cool. Although I hope they aren't all "rawr humans bad nature good!" again. That was lame.

Also, less holding of the idiot ball. The series has so much potential that it has yet to live up to, I really don't want the whole thing to be a giant flop.

• Wise Old Guru
    replied
    ...I loved this season.

Favorite moment was Zaheer's moment of enlightenment. It's interesting seeing a villain undergo that sort of spiritual epiphany, and I'm a really big fan of Evil Buddhist villain archetypes. It's cool to see that the sort of spiritual journey the Avatar always goes on will also empower regular benders. He's excellent Abyssal or Adorjani Exalted inspiration.

I also really like this season because it's the first one that feels like it's not living under the first series' shadow. They're doing new things here, changing the world in interesting and permanent ways. They're having conversations about the nature of Power in a more sophisticated way than Aang did. "Killing is bad, so have so much overwhelming power that you can win without having to do so" is a great personal moral dilemma, but Aang's not exactly setting an example that other people can reliably follow. I really like that the show is asking questions like "when is it okay to destroy a corrupt ruler," and "what is the best way to protect the people from exercises of power by their rulers" and "are all rulers corrupt by nature," "is a strong ruler necessary to protect people from other strong people, even if that ruler is corrupt?"

Korra is straight-up okay with killing people, here. They set up villains that I cared about, who obviously had histories and love interests and their own spiritual journeys, and the heroes killed them. Villains who the hero...didn't really disagree with, but just thought their methods of achieving the hero's own goals were too extreme. And it was hard and it was painful, and it did not really solve any of the world's problems.

Character growth was good, I love Asami and I love seeing the effects of this sort of thing on Korra. Adorable Airbenders were adorable, the art and the fight scenes were consistently gorgeous, and I really enjoyed the fact that the world of the story was permanently changed by their actions rather than just "bad guy beaten, back to normal." Legend of Korra's not always perfect, and it's still not the original series...but it's better than most of the other stuff I see on TV these days.

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied
    Please disregard this message.
    Last edited by semicasual; 09-23-2014, 10:55 AM. Reason: There is no delete button, so I'm just blanking this post.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Man, the new world order channels Miyazaki like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Mostly, I just like female characters to actually have consistent and friendly interactions with one another. You know, the whole Bechdel thing being applied properly.

I also just think they make for a good double-act; I certainly enjoyed the bit where somebody assumed Asami was the Avatar.
    I know, I know, and I don't disagree with you. I was simply mocking the excessive importance the Korra fanbase seems to give to romance subplots or their absence in LoK and they causing so much hatedom for Mako. I don't mind either way, but I'm not displeased with some little romance subplot to spice up the main plot or all the family-drama stuff we got last two seasons. It fits with the age of the Krew, and for the same reason it also seems realistic it often gets messy, experimental, filled with melodrama, and poorly communicated. Ironically enough, the lauded first Korra-Asami scene in ep. 1 fails the Bechdel test because they talk about a man, although in that case the restriction should not really apply. But I'm serious about shipping Makorrasami, especially after this season added the Korrasami chemistry for the last side of the triangle.
    Last edited by Irioth; 08-31-2014, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Mostly, I just like female characters to actually have consistent and friendly interactions with one another. You know, the whole Bechdel thing being applied properly.

I also just think they make for a good double-act; I certainly enjoyed the bit where somebody assumed Asami was the Avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Irioth
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I too saw that. I like it!
    I otherwise share your opinion, but what about the unconventional option ? Threesome Bi Polyamory. No Triangle Drama and No Romantic Frustration. Everyone Benefits. <Bolin impersonation> The Badass Adorable Amazonian Beauty, the Action-Girl Femme Fatale, and the Brooding Teen with Hidden Depths.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Korra and Asami have much better chemistry with each other than they do with Mako.
    I too saw that. I like it!

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    So, I only started watching season 3... a bit more than a week ago, I think. And I caught up with it today, because I could hardly keep away from it.

What can I say other than that, to me, the show has finally made the transition from generally okay to pretty excellent?

Korra herself feels like she was a much more grounded character in this season, in a manner that I'm satisfied as having emerged naturally from her experiences in the last two, and other characters in general managed to drop most of their annoying traits, allowing me to just enjoy their personalities and dynamics. On top of that, I enjoy the little arcs they all got based more on their interpersonal dramas (and not in the manner of Drama, as in the prior seasons).

I also enjoyed the driving premise of the series; it was a nice shake up, something with believably deep meaning for some of the characters, and one that gives a chance to explore and expand on something that was never really possible before. I also like how it gave an impetus to return to some old locations, and get a first look at some new ones.

The villains were also a significant improvement for me. The Equalist concept was a bit overambitious for the length of the season, when it wasn't just a bit lacking in credibility (it's a bit hard to buy the sense of a fundamental inequity between Benders and non-Benders when Mako and Bolin grew up on the streets and Asami lived in a grand mansion), and Vatu and Unaloq were kind of vague and esoteric. Having characters who were a good deal more down to earth really helped enable letting the season have that interpersonal drama I was talking about, and I find the Red Lotus' brand of anarchy a lot more believable as a motive than what the other villains had. I like the characters themselves; I would have liked a bit more development for them, but I think their soft spoken interactions with one another gave them a reasonable level of personality, while also fitting with their context (of being heavily driven and also kind of out of it for a while). Their actual plans were elegant in their simplicity in concept and execution, and they were certainly believably threatening (helped by actually killing somebody for once, and kind of graphically at that, without needing to fixate on it). I can honestly say that I got a stronger sense of tension and danger with them than I've ever gotten with Avatar villains, and it helped make the stakes feel high without having to resort to a "world in danger" plot.

Zaheer in particular was one who I had doubts about in his first appearance (I was about dubious on the content and acting of his monologue), but I feel he came into his own more when he got to interact with his fellows and with Korra. I also found the concept of him rather fascinating, an "evil" Airbender, not just in his abilities but his enthusiasm for the teachings of an ancient Air Nomad, and applying them to his own situation. In many other cases, I would have felt that the development of the ability to fly was pretty cheap, but setting up how he could do it in his actual character and then triggering it within the context of the scene, it worked very well.

Personally, I also get a kick out of the idea that there was a splinter group from the White Lotus based on a dispute of their purview changing (literally right before watching the episode where Zaheer explained his background, I'd been thinking again about what a big change they'd had). That and how Ming-Hua gave us another example of using Bending to overcome disability at the same time as producing a distinct and interesting style.

The whole thing managed to feel very well paced and well constructed to me, tightly focused and held together despite having characters far apart in various cases, and building up coherently to its conclusion.

It was also nice to see Zuko again, and to open the possibility that we might see Toph in the future.

And I liked the bittersweet note the season ended on; its sense of consequence was very fitting to the tone and escalation that had been running throughout, and it leaves me enthusiastic to see where they'll go from here. It reminds me of the kind of thing people said they wished the first season ended with, but I find this premise more compelling than inability to use Bending.

To cap it all off, the action was among the best it's ever been. This season alone skews my whole curve for judging the action across both shows. And like all good action, I really cared about the people and circumstances involved; I bought that and why they were fighting.

So yes, they really raised the bar with this one. I look forward to the next one with more enthusiasm than ever.

Leave a comment:

• wulf
    replied
    I found Zaheer to be very interesting as a villain: That he used the philosophical teachings of a peaceful people to justify his agenda is a story element I don't come across often. He is the "rogue monk" and makes me think of the Buddhist mobs in South Asia who have been in the news for attacking Muslims. I think the themes of this season have matured and because of that I think this season suffered from constrained episode length - these are good stories that need more time to be told.

Leave a comment:

• Scelesta
    replied
    without posting spoilers:

i'm left confused with this season, i'm caught between loving it and hating it. It felt EXTREMLY rushed especially the last 2 episodes...and i think the season finale could have benefited by being a two parter.

The relationships(romantic and otherwise) kinda just felt...blah. Like they were missing something, but this seems to be the problem in LoK...I found myself not giving a flying fuck what happened to Korra and actually was hoping they'd kill her(oh i knew they wouldn't but eh wishful thinking).

The bad guys fell flat for me as well. I wanted to turn the TV off when Zahir(or however his name is spelled) started rambling about his "grand plan". In truth the plan was a great story line and could have been great if it hadn't sucked so bad in its execution. They were THIS close to being an understandable evil, but then went right off the rocks at the end...Though I did find myself agreeing with him in regards to the avatar...so eh. I also wanted more back story on the bad guys, but that may be that i just don't like the whole "I am a bad guy for reasons" shit and prefer fleshed out people you can relate to and maybe even sympathize with.

Wow just realized while typing I cant really find much I liked about this season. I could go on and on about the crap i hated, or found annoying though lol o0

I really enjoyed seeing the scenes involving the air nation, in fact that's a big reason i kept watching i wanted to see how that would turn out. Tenzin, and his kids are interesting to me, more so then the main plot.

Despite my total lack of interest in the next season I plan to watch it(its kinda like a train wreck...) I do hope perhaps they keep Korra in that chair, could actually make things interesting...but i doubt that'll happen. Who knows MAYBE the final season can redeem this.(I did like season 1 after all)

Leave a comment:

• JayTee
    replied
    Man, the moment I saw those green crystals I had a flashback to Azula ganking Aang. Avatars and green crystals do not mix.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated and utterly whacky note, I found this.
    Last edited by JayTee; 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• danelsan
    replied
    I wonder if she will actually fully recover from the mercury poisoning...and does anyone knows the title of book four or what it the theme for it?

Leave a comment:

• AkatsukiLeader13
    replied
    Just finished watching the season and all I have to say is damn did that end on a depressing note. But if nothing else I really want Season 4 now.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by danelsan View Post
    Known* among the Exalted fanbase as "pulling a Salina" XD

*No, not really.

Same ideological reason too: trying to destroy power hierarchies (well that's her DotFA motivation, obviously the current writers do not put a ton of stock in Dreams as continuing canon; but it's definitely a more compelling motive than "Sorcery derives from instinct and nature; or I've decided it SHOULD, so I'll cosmically rewrite nature to let people learn Sorcery from it." which was her philosophy as shown by the Pre-DotFA Sorcery supplements)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X