No announcement yet.

Lets talk Anime/Manga/Visual Novels/Light Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This season blows. The only show worth watching has been Getsuyoubi no Tawawa.

pls respont

Comment

• Yeah, this season is pretty disappointing.

I'm only watching two shows. Brave Witches, a spin-off of Strike Witches, though so far it feels pretty unremarkable and the cast isn't anywhere near as interesting as Strike Witches was.

The other show I'm watching is Vivid Strike, a spinoff of Nanoha Vivid. It's actually pretty good and feels like a nice spiritual successor to the older Nanoha franchise, though this one focuses more on the characters being magical MMA fighters with lots of weightlifting and training montages rather than on being purely magical girls.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
        Yeah, this season is pretty disappointing.

I'm only watching two shows. Brave Witches, a spin-off of Strike Witches, though so far it feels pretty unremarkable and the cast isn't anywhere near as interesting as Strike Witches was.

The other show I'm watching is Vivid Strike, a spinoff of Nanoha Vivid. It's actually pretty good and feels like a nice spiritual successor to the older Nanoha franchise, though this one focuses more on the characters being magical MMA fighters with lots of weightlifting and training montages rather than on being purely magical girls.
        yeah I saw the shoe locker scene on /a/. Jesus. I didn't pick up brave witches but Its mostly because its one of the few anime I really like to sit and watch all the episodes at once like some kind of drug addict.

I just finally caught all the way up with the monogatari series. The nearest showing for Kizumonogatari is about 8 hours away though so I'm not going to get to see it.

pls respont

Comment

• The shoe-locker scene was pretty harsh, but then Nanoha has always been surprisingly dark, with characters getting tortured, seriously injured and killed. The most recent series, Vivid, was much more "cute" and "hugboxy" and I think in the years since StrikerS came out some people forgot how dark the Nanoha franchise could be at times.

As for Monogatari what did you think of it? Personally I probably rate it as one of my three favorite anime series. I think it has really great characters, each one with memorable scenes, quirks and personality. Plus the series has some of the best dialogue I've heard in an anime series, and I'm a sucker for good dialogue and witty banter. Further, SHAFT's visuals manage to make even the random conversations visually engaging, and I think the music score is darn near perfect for setting or enhancing the mood.

The story is typically a bit weak, but then I feel that the story is more just an excuse for Nisoisin to write dialogue and interactions for the characters. That's the core of the show, and the "why" is largely just a vehicle to set up the chance for those characters to interact with one another.

Comment

• For monogatari I became attached to the characters back with Bakemonogatari and honestly my opinion hasn't changed much involving them. The main reason I watched it all the way through was to see what would happen to my favorite characters. I honestly couldn't care about Nadeko. She didn't become likable to me until she became a homicidal snake goddess. Kanbaru and Hachikuji always had my favorite stories. Senjougahara kind of seemed to fall to the wayside as the stories progressed. I also liked how things in Owarimonogatari and Koyomimonogatari actually occurred in previous installments as well. I didn't care much for Ougi.

pls respont

Comment

• Hachikuji was my favorite character in the Monogotarari series. I thought she had the best interactions with Arararagi and their back and forth banter was great. I especially loved her, "The courage to..." conversation that they had.

So, I just got finished reading the first two stories in the visual novel series World End Economica.

The setting is fairly interesting - it takes place several centuries from now on the moon. The main character is essentially a run-away hobo who makes money by playing the stock market, making sure to have just enough to survive while investing everything else. There's lot of interesting stock market analysis and problems, and the story revolves around the character trying to make a fortune. Even as someone who was never terribly interested in the stock market, the writing managed to make everything look neat and exciting.

The story played up the science fiction elements fairly well, and one of the bigger themes in the story were that of the moneyed elite and the poor who have to bow to their whims. Money makes the world go around, as they say. There was also an interesting tangent on religious faith. One of the major characters in the story is a Christian who helps the main character out quite a bit and it was nice to see the Christian religion to have such a positive portrayal. It also helped to shine a different aspect on the otherwise "pro-money" segments of the rest of the story and on several occasions pushed the idea that money was both good and bad - that it can solve problems but also creates problems.

The second story takes place several years after the first - the story is quite a bit darker and the themes are far less optimistic and adult than they originally were. The main character has undergone major changes due to events that happened at the end of the first game, and a lot of the story on this one is him trying to come to terms with what happened and his decision on whether to move on or try to go back. The second game had more of a "detective" or "investigative" mood to it than the earlier game, and the focus on the stock market was less important.

Still, it did a nice job of continuing the story in a direction I was not expecting and has me eagerly looking forward to the third (and I believe final) installment.

Comment

• yeah I've got World End Economica on steam from like 3 years ago but I've yet to read it. I'm currently reading Dracu-Riot! and when I finish it I'll probably try Rewrite again. I just finished KonoSuba and I'm going to watch Outbreak Company next.

pls respont

Comment

• Konosuba was pretty 10/10. I haven't watched a series that funny in a long time. Of course, right after watching it most of people in my group decided that their next character is going to be Megumin.

Comment

• I liked it. I've got the first few LNs downloaded now so I'll probably check them out. We're also going to get another Highschool DxD anime soonish (which will be faithful to source material unlike S3) so I'm looking forward to that. New season of precure looks like its gonna be super qt.

pls respont

Comment

• Drifters and Hibike Euphonium 2 are the shows I've been following most attentively this season. Hibike is consistently incredibly high in production values and enriched by characters easy to relate to, so I wholeheartedly recommend it in the same breath as I do the first season. Drifters is a party of Kohta Hirano's detailed gore-heavy action and atmospheric characters, but it also engages with surprisingly realistic and brutal tactics as well as philosophy on war and death. Our main group of protagonists brings together a set of very different skills and values, and their effect on the environment that surrounds them is proving quite interesting to watch.

Comment

• This season, only Bungou Stray Dogs 2 and Fune bo Amu managed to grab our attention. Thankfully, these two are still here to keep us in good anime drive, started by Assasination Classroom, followed by Erased, sustained by Bungou and peaking at ReZero.

Comment

• I was genuinely surprised with Re:Zero. I started off being fairly ho-hum. By the end of the first arc I was enjoying it. By the end of the second arc I was liking the main character quite a bit. Then with the third arc and the second season I started really hating the main character, almost to the point that I wanted to drop the series. But then the MC had a good arc and ended up redeeming himself (except for his choice of romantic interests, BOO) and by the end of it I think Subaru was my favorite main character that I have seen in a show in many years.

We actually got some real character growth and development slowly over the course of a season, which is all-too rare in Japanese media.

Comment

• Mahou Shoujo Ikusai Keikaku (or, in English, Magical Girl Raising Project) is a magical girl show in the spirit of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The premise is that sixteen players of a social game about Magical Girls are given the opportunity to become magical girls for real. Then they're told that the number has to be reduced to eight, turning it into a sort of Reality TV Show where each week the lowest-scoring magical girl gets kicked out of the project.

So far, I've been liking it. My main quarrel with it thus far has been that some of the characters have departed sooner than I would have liked — but then, most of the characters are written well enough that I'd be sad to see them go no matter how long it took. Whereas others have no business sticking around as long as they have…

Comment

• It looked like one of those shows where all the characters I enjoyed would be dead or gone by episode 6, so I was going to wait until it was finished, see what happens and then decide whether I wanted to watch it or not.

Comment

• Well, it is essentially a cross between Madoka and Bokurano. That said, the death toll is remarkably light so far, well under the number of episodes released. And in keeping with its Bokurano-like elements, what deaths have happened have been driven by character and plot rather than spectacle. If they're going to wrap this up in a dozen episodes or so, they're going to have to pick up the pace; or else there will be a lot more survivors than I anticipate. But if you're avoiding it because you don't want to watch something where half the cast disappears by the mid-point, don't worry about it; that's not happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X