• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    Alright, time to check back in with Darling in the FranXX an-

*sees all the backlash online*

WOW. OK THEN.

This has to be the biggest 180 on an anime since...what, Sword Art Online?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      ...I assume you're referring to the story arc that all AoT fans considered to be the worst in the series?

Which, well...Isayama is apparently aware of this arc's reputation and has stated that the anime's version of the arc is going to diverge a bit to address those problems. Plus, from what I understand, the manga turned things around and became good again.

Comment

Plus, from what I understand, the manga turned things around and became good again.

In the most recent chapters?

Yeah, people who only watch the anime are going to be in for some planetoid heavy shit!

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          I am so skeptical of the new FLCL. I want it to be good so bad, but...
          THree episodes and let me assure you-it may not be as innovative in animation, but it is just as good as the original FLCL so far. It's, in fact, my new favorite example of what can happen when you give the controls over to people who grew up with the material and know how to tell a new story with an old framework.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Out of Nation from 5/22 to 5/29

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            THree episodes and let me assure you-it may not be as innovative in animation, but it is just as good as the original FLCL so far. It's, in fact, my new favorite example of what can happen when you give the controls over to people who grew up with the material and know how to tell a new story with an old framework.
            Really? I’ve been super underwhelmed. I feel like we still know nothing about our protagonist, which is a little frustrating for a character drama.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

In the most recent chapters?

Yeah, people who only watch the anime are going to be in for some planetoid heavy shit!
              Yeah; when they discovered that the world was flat and that there was another Titan Wall out on the edge keeping the ocean in, I was stunned. Stunned, I tell you! j/k

Comment

• Been trying out some light novels. Goblin Slayer 1 was good but I get the feeling part 2 is going to go more traditionally. Need some dark fantasy inspiration and maybe Berserk is the only way to go. Bastard! is just too silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  Yeah; when they discovered that the world was flat and that there was another Titan Wall out on the edge keeping the ocean in, I was stunned. Stunned, I tell you! j/k

And how can we not mention when the Beast Titan relocates to Skull Island and challenges King Kong for his throne?

But seriously, though. There's something I'm a little curious / confused by in regards to Titan Shifters. We're lead to believe they're completely unique species of Titans, yet there's a Colossal Titan shifter, and then you've got the 3 walls, which are actually made out of millions of Colossal Titans.

How the heck does this work?
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-21-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• I'm gradually becoming more of an anime fan, but I occasionally have a hard time deciding whether to watch the shows with English subtitles or dubbed into English. I've heard that in some cases, like Cowboy Bebop, the English dubbed version is just as good, if not preferable, and I don't disagree. On the other hand, the English dubbing loses some of the original voice actor's emotional expression, and when you hear the same English dubbed voices over and over in different shows, it's as bad as the "same face syndrome."

So my question for the thread is whether anyone has any strong suggestions for which anime do well with the English dub, and which should be watched with subtitles. For example, I've noticed that the English dubbed version of My Hero Academia is currently only a couple of weeks behind the original production release. I'm already used to the original Japanese voices from watching it on Crunchyroll, and I don't think there's any legal free service that airs the English dubbed version, so in this case it's a question of whether it's worth it to subscribe to a streaming service so I can watch it (and other shows) in English, or if I'm better off watching it on Crunchyroll with the subtitles and ads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                      I'm gradually becoming more of an anime fan, but I occasionally have a hard time deciding whether to watch the shows with English subtitles or dubbed into English. I've heard that in some cases, like Cowboy Bebop, the English dubbed version is just as good, if not preferable, and I don't disagree. On the other hand, the English dubbing loses some of the original voice actor's emotional expression, and when you hear the same English dubbed voices over and over in different shows, it's as bad as the "same face syndrome."

So my question for the thread is whether anyone has any strong suggestions for which anime do well with the English dub, and which should be watched with subtitles. For example, I've noticed that the English dubbed version of My Hero Academia is currently only a couple of weeks behind the original production release. I'm already used to the original Japanese voices from watching it on Crunchyroll, and I don't think there's any legal free service that airs the English dubbed version, so in this case it's a question of whether it's worth it to subscribe to a streaming service so I can watch it (and other shows) in English, or if I'm better off watching it on Crunchyroll with the subtitles and ads.
                      As you've already stated, cowboy bebop is a great example of an English dub done right. They're pretty uncommon but a few others off the top of my head would be DBZ, Hellsing Ultimate, Outlaw Star, Full Metal Panic, Gurren Lagann, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun.

Comment

• I've generally found that the quality of English dubbing has declined since the late 90's, early 00's. There were some fantastic shows where the dub was just as good as the sub (Cowboy Bebop, the Kenshin dub from the early 2000's, Macross Plus, Trigun, Slayers and tons of others). Since 2010 though it often feels like the English VA's are just phoning it in, or are mangling basic Japanese words that, if they had bothered listening to a character say once or twice they could avoid doing it. It always kills me when English VA's mangle a character's names when just spending a minute or two listening to the original Japanese would have shown them proper enunciation and pronunciation. It's something dubbing studios used to do that it seems like they don't do anymore.

That said, there are still a few really great dubs that have come out in more recent years. The English dub of Panty and Stocking was top tier, just as good as the original was. Stein's;Gate was a pretty good dub all things considered. They did have to change a lot of stuff since the Japanese had tons of Japanese internet memes that wouldn't make sense for English speakers, but the VA's all did an excellent job. Baccano and Black Lagoon are also two more fairly recent series with top notch dubs that are as good as the original Japanese was. If you're looking for shows with English dubs I'd recommend all of those.

*EDIT* I just realized Black Lagoon came out 12 years ago. Okay, so somewhat recent...
                        Last edited by AnubisXy; 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          I've generally found that the quality of English dubbing has declined since the late 90's, early 00's. There were some fantastic shows where the dub was just as good as the sub (Cowboy Bebop, the Kenshin dub from the early 2000's, Macross Plus, Trigun, Slayers and tons of others). Since 2010 though it often feels like the English VA's are just phoning it in, or are mangling basic Japanese words that, if they had bothered listening to a character say once or twice they could avoid doing it. It always kills me when English VA's mangle a character's names when just spending a minute or two listening to the original Japanese would have shown them proper enunciation and pronunciation. It's something dubbing studios used to do that it seems like they don't do anymore.

That said, there are still a few really great dubs that have come out in more recent years. The English dub of Panty and Stocking was top tier, just as good as the original was. Stein's;Gate was a pretty good dub all things considered. They did have to change a lot of stuff since the Japanese had tons of Japanese internet memes that wouldn't make sense for English speakers, but the VA's all did an excellent job. Baccano and Black Lagoon are also two more fairly recent series with top notch dubs that are as good as the original Japanese was. If you're looking for shows with English dubs I'd recommend all of those.

*EDIT* I just realized Black Lagoon came out 12 years ago. Okay, so somewhat recent...
                          I Think only a couple years ago they put out a Black Lagoon OVA but I don't know if they ever dubbed it. And to those people who haven't watched Black Lagoon yet. Watch it, it is amazing and the last couple episodes are heartbreaking.

Comment

• There is only one anime that i entirely prefer the dubbed over the subbed and its Baccano.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

• Dubs, always. Why the hell would I want to experience a visual medium...by reading about it? If I wanted to read a story, I'd read a novel.

I only make exceptions if it's either:

a.) A show I know without a shadow of a doubt is never going to get a dub (Samurai Flamenco, Yatterman NIGHT)
                              b.) If it's a show I enthusiastically like when it first broadcasts that I'm willing to watch it twice subbed and dubbed.

Comment

Dubs, always. Why the hell would I want to experience a visual medium...by reading about it?
                                Because subs convey the original emotion more reliably and some dubs are terrible because of North America's Animation Ghetto? It's getting better, but there are still shows I prefer to watch the subs for because the dubs are just too damn annoying.

Also, the Japanese title songs are often way more balling than the English.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X