No announcement yet.

Lets talk Anime/Manga/Visual Novels/Light Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently watching Welcome to the Ballroom on Amazon Prime. I've no idea why I keep getting sucked into these shows about mundane clubs and competitions (mahjong, badminton, kabuki, shoji, paintball, camping, kendo, cooking), but I seem to be addicted to them. Almost as badly as I'm addicted to Food Wars and My Hero Academia.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• I must say I'm terribly disturbed from how much I enjoy Overlord's third opening. The anime seems to have a talent at assigning opening songs which just embody the whole atmosphere of the current season. Doesn't make me any less disturbed, though :P

I also start wonder which anime I should give a look at the next season. I wanted to catch up and see the new season of Stein's Gate, but I think I'm too terrified to see it alone (the first season got me so nervous so many times and I still don't believe it had an happy ending, and I don't want to ruin that experience by seeing a possible not-that-happy ending for the second season..)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        I must say I'm terribly disturbed from how much I enjoy Overlord's third opening. The anime seems to have a talent at assigning opening songs which just embody the whole atmosphere of the current season. Doesn't make me any less disturbed, though :P

I have no idea what the hell the song is even supposed to be about. The only lyrics I can make out is "I am very" at the beginning of the song , "We can make you, even if you don't want to" which comes shortly afterward, and finally "I just want to see how tasty it is" at the end of it.

Also, I don't know what this "SPLAT" is, but everybody on youtube seems super excited about it.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-20-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Well, there are translated lyrics for the song- and they are, well, pervert at best :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            Well, there are translated lyrics for the song- and they are, well, pervert at best :P

That was my impression. Just going by the visual imagery, my guess is that they're singing about wanting to rape Ainz!

Comment

• From what i've been able to tell the song is about gluttony, hunger and eating. The title is called Voracity.
              Like the part where shalltear and albedo talk goes like this;
              Shalltear: "Anything can be eaten"
              Albedo: "Even if you say no"
              Both: "HAHAHA"

https://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyr...roid/voracity/

Anyway, its now my favorite song of the anime passing the ending of 1st season

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
              Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
              Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

• The way I read it, it is more of a.. sexual appetite than actual hunger. Still perverted, but in another way.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• If I lived in the Yggdrasil universe, I'd probably have played a Brain Eater.

Mind Flayers are one of my three favorite monsters in D&D, alongside Liches and Lycanthropes.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I didn't hate it, exactly. But I was watching Overlord to see Ainz steamroll everyone, and instead those episodes spent a lot of time building up these lizard characters and their relationships, even though you knew they were going to get steamrolled. In fact, I assumed all of them were going to die, so I didn't let myself get emotionally invested in any of them to begin with. So basically my whole attitude throughout that arc was, "Can we get this over with already, because all of them are going to die anyway, and instead move on to the more important things?"

Maybe I just went into it with the wrong attitude. The second Arc with Sebas being a Hero of Justice around town was pretty amusing though and I enjoyed it a lot more.

I'll admit though, the lizard-girl-plant-monster was pretty cute.

Actually, I recently found a video that perfectly explains why having entire arcs of the series dedicated to people who aren't a part of Nazarick is actually a unique and interesting concept for Overlord's story.

There are a lot of anime out there that glorify the idea of Wish Fulfillment fantasies, but rarely do they demonstrate the consequences that come from achieving that wish fulfillment. As far as Ainz is concerned, the people of the New World may just be random NPC's he can use to serve his purposes while searching for players from Yggdrasil, whom he refers to as "real people."

I mean, he sentenced a bunch of mercenaries that he personally contracted to raid his own home to spend the rest of what I can only assume to be eternity of being tortured to death and then resurrected again. And as for those two little girls who were waiting for their sister to come home? According to the light novels, they get sold off as sex slaves and die from exhaustion.

Ainz either doesn't realize, or just doesn't care that the people of the New World are, for all intents and purposes, living beings. They have their own personalities, aspirations and personal lives, yet Ainz and his underlings go around treating them like playthings for their own amusement. They are inflicting pain and misery upon the world, but Ainz doesn't care, because in his eyes, they're not "real people." They're just an extension of the game he's been playing so far.

I would link / post the video here, but I'm having trouble finding it again.
                    Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-05-2018, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• I must say that this season of Overlord is much darker than the previous ones- in the two last seasons, while we could obviously see that Ainz and the rest of Nazarick are pretty evil, but the outcomes were generally positive (defeating an undead legion, fighting against a corrupted organization, etc), but this time, there were rarely some redeeming traits to the "main characters" other than the protection of the Carne village. It feels like the last arc, where he hires the Workers only to punish them so he would have the legitimization to put the emperor under his debt and all of the massacre afterward with the war against the kingdom showed a much darker side of Ainz than the usual. I think it is mainly to remind us that while Nazarick are the main characters, they are not heroes, and that even if their actions had a beneficial result from time to time, they are in the end (mostly) evil, and don't care for humans. While certain humans can gain a certain amount of respect from their side (Enri, Gezef, etc), most of mankind do not gain any empathy from them, and even when they do it is not on the way they would have wnated it to be (see Archie for example)

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• I had lots of fun watching Cells At Work

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• So, with Overlord ending, I've just discovered that A Certain Magical Index is going to air a new season soon, which would be cool :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• I have a preference for A Certain Scientific Railgun; but I'll take what I can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              I have a preference for A Certain Scientific Railgun; but I'll take what I can get.
                              Me too- I've always felt that Scientific Railgun was much deeper and more interesting than Magical Inedx, but we work with what we have :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• Sooooo, how about that Goblin Slayer?

Comment

Working...
                                X