Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Sooooo, how about that Goblin Slayer?
    How's the anime? I really like the manga - it started off pretty dark and brutal but settled into a more comfortable pace down the road. I really like his party, and it's fun seeing a Vancian D&D setting with some trappings of Japanese RPGs.
    Last edited by AnubisXy; 10-10-2018, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

How's the anime? I really like the manga - it started off pretty dark and brutal but settled into a more comfortable pace down the road. I really like his party, and it's fun seeing a Vancian D&D setting with some trappings of Japanese RPGs.

I only just found out about it today. Apparently there's only 1 episode out right now?

I don't know how well it holds up to the manga, but I will say the people on Youtube are comparing the Goblin Slayer to Doom Guy!

Comment

• The manga and light novel have been out for a while now.

They went for a weird way to get attention in their first story and it seems to have gathered the most attention of the series.

He's kind of like Punisher, if he refused to be concerned with supervillains. Goblins all the way. Though Doom Guy and Punisher are more willing to use better equipment when it becomes available.
        Last edited by nofather; 10-10-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• Only one episode so far, yes. I just viewed it at your recommendation, and my first impression was how brutal it is.
          We see a party of newbs get cut down by goblins, and they specifically show the blood, the trauma, and a rape — the latter of which fortunately takes place off-screen, but only after they've made damn sure you know what the goblins' intentions are. After the titular Goblin Slayer arrives and butchers the goblins, his final act before leaving the tunnels is to massacre a group of defenseless goblin children.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

They went for a weird way to get attention in their first story and it seems to have gathered the most attention of the series.

He's kind of like Punisher, if he refused to be concerned with supervillains. Goblins all the way. Though Doom Guy and Punisher are more willing to use better equipment when it becomes available.
            I tried looking up some images of the manga on google, and saw a page where he's facing off a giant ogre. His response is "Feh, you're not a goblin?"

I also found this amusing video:

Goblin Slayer Honest Description

Comment

• I really, really don't like the kind of horror and trauma Goblin Slayer goes for. Don't like it in Fantasy, don't like it in Horror, don't like it in RPGs and in comics, don't like it in general. I know that's a thing that does not bother some people as it does for me and there are obvious reasons for it to exist in a horror context but hell, I can't help it.

It was tough to get through it in Berserk and Goblin Slayer is even worse on that side. Way worse, possibly because Berserk's world is almost always bleak and dark while Goblin Slayer's is not.

The fact I kept on reading is a testament to the manga's quality. It is brutal and mercilless but I honestly can't say it's a bad manga. In fact, I think it's quite good and that it treats its darkest elements with all the seriousness and dramatic weight the nature of the series allows it to have.

I hesitate to call it "entertaining" and the monsters are so vile that when the titular character does what he's best at I can't fully appreciate the catharsis, but I still read all the manga and its spin-offs, so that has to mean something.

Can't exactly recommend it, but if you like Dark Fantasy and manage to endure through it, the series quality only improves with time. I feel like I'm always a chapter away from dropping it, but I'm still there.

Also yes, the party and the supporting characters are great and Goblin Slayer deserves a place in the Hall of Fame of brutal anti-heroes, along with Punisher, Doom Guy and Guts
              Last edited by Cinder; 10-13-2018, 12:46 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Working...
              X