X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cerealkiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryu View Post
    Cerealkiller: As my pm's somehow end up having an empty text I'll write it here:

I had asked if you also include indie VNs in your VN list.

If so then as example:
    http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/vie...69eedd155be2f0 3ca6eaf7f

That is a site for indie VNs (to be exact it is a site for indie vn game developers who talk about problems, hire staff but also who publish their games there. Most of the games are cost free which affects the quaility of about 70% of the VNs published there).
    are the VNs OEL (original English Language)? I've found that most OELs don't do it for me. Something is always off or just bothers me. Or they feel too fan-fictiony. The only one I read that I thought was okay, and is probably the best written, drawn and everything OEL VN, is Katawa Shoujo. i only read 3 routes but those routes were okay.

Speaking of VNs my best friend and another friend are both done with their editing of Sumaga from JAST. I'm re-reading muv luv right now which may seem like a torturous thing to do but I'm thinking of stopping when I finish extra again and just leave it be. I've got Altered Fable so I'm hoping to see the translation make more progress again.

Leave a comment:

• Ryu
    replied
    Cerealkiller: As my pm's somehow end up having an empty text I'll write it here:

I had asked if you also include indie VNs in your VN list.

If so then as example:
    http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/vie...69eedd155be2f0 3ca6eaf7f

That is a site for indie VNs (to be exact it is a site for indie vn game developers who talk about problems, hire staff but also who publish their games there. Most of the games are cost free which affects the quaility of about 70% of the VNs published there).

Leave a comment:

• Cielle
    replied
    Originally posted by cerealkiller View Post
    the manga is excellent for watamote. The show is pretty good too. That's the OP for all the episode IIRC. She's not really misanthropic as much as she is an awkward pervert otaku with no friends. It can get hard to read and watch.
    Holy shit you were not kidding. I am ten minutes in. This is intensely and uncomfortably familiar.

EDIT: Five episodes in. This is heartbreaking. Comedic at times, but stunningly bleak and nihilistic at its core. Definitely going to keep watching.
    Last edited by Cielle; 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cerealkiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Xelloss View Post
    To be fair, from what I understand a lot of "Nasu's writing" comes from an awkwardly literal translation into English.
    I'm not talking about the translations really. I'm talking about his actual writing. He has a really bad habit of dragging me right out of the moment. He writes too much exposition about one thing in the middle of events, for my liking. I just don't care for Type Moon. Not my thing. I'm an Age guy. KimiNozu, Muv Luv, KimiIta. Those all do it for me.

Leave a comment:

• Xelloss
    replied
    Originally posted by cerealkiller View Post
    I'm not a fan of Type Moon. Nasu's writingg doesn't do it for me
    To be fair, from what I understand a lot of "Nasu's writing" comes from an awkwardly literal translation into English.

As for recommendations :
    - Slayers (Fantasy/Adventures anime based on a light novel written by Hajime Kanzaka and illustrated by Rui Araizumi)
    - Gunnm (Sci-Fi Seinen manga) and its sequel Gunnm Last Order
    - Hellsing (Horror Seinen manga/anime/OVA)
    - Tenchi Muyo! OVAs (original Harem accept no substitutes) and its sequel Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
    - Black Lagoon (Action/comedy Seinen manga & anime)

Leave a comment:

• Ryoga84
    replied
    See MAL for the exact watching order

Leave a comment:

• cerealkiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryoga84 View Post

Can I suggest the Sekai no Senki series?
    I'll add that to my watch list and check it out on my long weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Ryoga84
    replied
    Space Opera/Mecha -- Galaxy 999, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Mobile Suit Gundam (Universal Century stuff), Mouretsu Pirates, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Giant Robo, Getter Robo, Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, Ghost in the Shell, Five Star Stories, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Mazinger, Mazinkaiser, Rinne No Lagrange, Macross (Everything ever), AKB0048, Ozma, Zoids
    Can I suggest the Sekai no Senki series?

Leave a comment:

• cerealkiller
    replied
    the manga is excellent for watamote. The show is pretty good too. That's the OP for all the episode IIRC. She's not really misanthropic as much as she is an awkward pervert otaku with no friends. It can get hard to read and watch. A lot of people on /a/ (the anime/manga board on 4chan) actually kept the manga alive by buying 20 and 30 copies of the manga volumes because they loved it that much.

Leave a comment:

• Cielle
    replied
    Someone suggested Watamote to me yesterday. I don't really know much of anything about it, other than that it apparently covers the adventures of a misanthropic high school girl, and from that description, it could really go either way. Oh, and it seems that at least one episode has a rather impressive intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtkbo2QJ7Y

I won't be able to give it a look until this weekend either way, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's take on the series.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    I have just discovered Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic and I have to say that I'm enjoying it. Like, a lot.

It's surprising because I have a complicate relationship with the Shounen genre, as my friends constantly talk of of Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball and similar series as if they are absolute masterworks and the ultimate expression of the Anime/Manga art. For such reason, I've probably become overly critical of Shounen in general. I honestly can't say if that's because I can't stand the hype, the conventions of the genre don't suit my tastes or other reasons I can't fathom, but finding a Shounen I really like has become quite difficult nowadays, like some sort of Holy Grail.

It seems the search has finally ended with Magi, and I'm quite happy with that.
    Last edited by Cinder; 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I'm enjoying some light hearted Magical Girl stuff like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura at the moment, to contrast with the bleed off from Attack on Titan*.

Hmm, I've got to remember to keep up with Kill la Kill as well...

I'm also trying to consider which of my previously watched anime to revisit; at the moment, Code Geass (at least R1) is the main contender.

* Which I still need to put that review together for.

Leave a comment:

• cerealkiller
    replied
    well if you like the psychological stuff I would highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain.

Leave a comment:

• Darker Days Mike
    replied
    I tend to prefer more thought provoking anime, such as Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, and Shoujo Kakumei Utena.

Also, giant robots.
    Last edited by Darker Days Mike; 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cerealkiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Siven View Post
    I see a distinct lack of Type Moon VNs.

Also Now and Then, Here and There.

Also concerning School Days. Yeah, that one's...a bit. It's when you put it in context of the other VNs of that universe, it's brain bleach territory. And I'm not talking about Summer Days.
    I'm not a fan of Type Moon. Nasu's writingg doesn't do it for me but I understand the influence he's had on VNs so I'll add Tsukihime and FSN to the list for VNs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X