Layoffs at CCP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs at CCP

Very sorry to hear that a round of layoffs has hit the World of Darkness MMO development office.

"CCP today made strategic adjustments to the staffing on the team working on the
    World of Darknessproject in Atlanta that resulted in the elimination of approximately 15 positions at the company. The change was due to our evaluation of the game's design and ongoing development needs. While this was a difficult decision, CCP remains committed to the franchise and our promise to make a compelling, rich, and deep World of Darkness experience."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12...-darkness-dev/

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

This is pretty awful. All of us who came from WW have friends affected.

Just to get this out of the way, though, this shouldn't have any effect on Onyx Path or our relationship with CCP.
    Last edited by Rose Bailey; 12-13-2013, 12:29 AM.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
    Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

Still though, I feel terrible for all of them, and I really hope they land on their feet.

Sure, there's no way to canonically do it, but Exalted allows you to knee canon in the crotch and rifle through its pockets to take what you need while it whimpers on the ground. - mockery

Comment

Why can't the end of the financial year be in, like, March, or something? It's always gotta be just before the Holidays.

... I still blame Dust514.

- Arthur "Torakhan" Dreese David "Wall-of-Text" Tealdeer - US2012070036​ - Grand Rapids, MI

V:tM 20thHunters Hunted IIAnarchs UnboundW:tA 20thW20 Changing BreedsExalted 3rd EditionM:tA 20thW20BotW

Comment

This sucks...

I game. This is the way.

Comment

I will chime in with the observation that most (if not all) game developers tend to go through cycles of increasing and decreasing employment depending on needs.

This *could* be the "we are done with the core engine for WoD/Dust and are laying off most of the expensive engine engineers" phase. Which while not great would at least have the glimmer of positive info that the game is slowly inching towards being complete?

On the other hand it could just be that finances, layoffs etc etc.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Son of a...

Well... that sucks. Of course, I work at Blockbuster, and ALL of us are closing. My store sooner than any...being the last one in Tennessee and all. I feel the pain of the lay-offs. In any case, lay-offs or no, I'm still looking forward to that mmo.

Comment

Didn't they cut a lot of positions on the WoD MMO and move people over to Dust 514 last year? And now they're cutting more positions? Doesn't sounds good for the project...

AnubisXy

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                  Didn't they cut a lot of positions on the WoD MMO and move people over to Dust 514 last year? And now they're cutting more positions? Doesn't sounds good for the project...

AnubisXy
                  That was Black Wednesday in late 2011. Before Onyx Path was a thing.

Between then and now, they'd increased the team from 50 people to about 65, and it looks like that's getting cut back to 50 again.

Ian A. A. Watson
                  Onyx Path Community Manager
                  Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post
                    Son of a...

Well... that sucks. Of course, I work at Blockbuster, and ALL of us are closing. My store sooner than any...being the last one in Tennessee and all. I feel the pain of the lay-offs. In any case, lay-offs or no, I'm still looking forward to that mmo.
                    holy crap..there are still block buster videos left!?!?!? OMG SEND ME A SHIRT.

Comment

Just kidding. it DOES suck when layoffs are happening..I hope everyone involved is okay..

Comment

This sucks. I'm sure the people affected will land on their feet. I've never been happy with CCP, and I've voiced my opinion numerous times on how I would love for Onyx Path to have total control over White Wolf properties, etc. I'm not a fan of CCP, and I've heard a ton of negative things about the company from former employees.

I know Dust 514 did extremely poorly, and I wonder if the WODMMO team was affected because of this, which would be extremely sad.

I still have hopes for the WODMMO, but man...

Regardless, I KNOW those affected will get back on their feet. We all do.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

I recall hearing something to the effect that the project requires radical restructuring, and from a friend of mine that used to work at CCP, they'd heard that it looked so bad that releasing information about it would've damaged the company's reputation. Which is an... interesting point of view. It still sucks for all those who lost their jobs.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                            I they'd heard that it looked so bad that releasing information about it would've damaged the company's reputation.
                            So basically the same thing that happened with Blizzard's Titan. Too bad. I've been looking forward to the WoD MMO for awhile.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the bad news - I hope those people from WW end up getting into jobs elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X