No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why I just said it sounded like, I had no idea where you were going with it but often when people start with a question about where 'Politically Incorrect opinions' you end up with someone, not necessarily that poster, but someone who wants to 'keep it real' and 'say it like it is' condemning whole groups of people.

You're on the internet, there's plenty of other places for that.

That said, I'm not admin or anything. The rules are there and if you're not breaking them post what you want.
    Last edited by nofather; 04-16-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
      I don't mean to attack the group, but things that are rarely seen or heard outside of particular groups. Like hating when someone leaves a lit cigarette butt somewhere; something rarely seen outside the "smoker" group.
      "I hate seeing cigarette butts lying around" is fine. "I hate smokers because they leave their cigarette butts lying around" is not. "I hate when smokers leave cigarettes lying around" is on the borderline, and will probably be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. When in doubt, I would err on the side of not getting an infraction, personally.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• So, I GUESS this will be ok? I don't like:

​When someone uses "Snowflake" to describe someone as sensitive. It implies that the other person is somehow lesser for having feelings.

​When someone uses the phrase "Micro-Aggressions". This just comes across as.... silly, I guess?

​When someone tries to change the meaning of a word to fit their own purpose or belief. Red is not blue, blue is not red.

​When politicians use arguments over social matters as a smokescreen to distract from more important issues.

When someone assumes I am being disrespectful of them/a group they identify with, just because I don't agree with their point of view.

How polarized and politicized​​ our world has become. People of all religions/ethnicities/preferences NEED to get used to the idea that NOT everyone is going to like you or agree with you. Demanding that someone change their mind about something isn't going to work. All that will do is make them dig in their heels and resist your way of thinking even more, and can even cause their negative feelings to escalate. If someone offends you, maybe try saying "I'm sorry you feel that way', and take your leave. The only exception is when someone is breaking the law; or if the law is somehow the source of the problem. That's when non-violent protests are the way to go.

​I might get more specific, but that will depend on how others respond to what I've said so far.
        Last edited by Mangle77; 04-16-2017, 11:56 PM.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

• I...uh, well I have a migraine and didn't get to see my family for Easter because I wasn't feeling well enough.

I suppose I hate that. It really just made me sad, though.

(They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

• Alcohol is a weird thing. People use it to celebrate regularly, but you can also just numb yourself in a way deemed acceptable by society. And if you're numbing yourself too much, it not only becomes unacceptable, but might also indicate that you have a "disease". Logic falls apart at some point there, but that's a puzzle for another day.

What's bothering me is that I really want to drink. I want to relax and let my mind have that brief respite from overwhelming stress. I don't know if I can. I might be able to handle myself better than I have in the past, but I don't know if I can be treated like anything but a drunk by the people around me should I choose to drink again.

I hate that existence hurts right now. I hate how needlessly complicated this is. I hate that I always have to compromise on a fundamental level for basic human comfort in general.

(They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

• If it helps any, I have a crippling fear of alcohol and people drinking it, and I have tomtamp down weekly existential crises about how I'm some kind of failure as a human being for not being able to enjoy something we've enjoyed for thousands of years.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Eh, alcohol is a drug. Very dangerous and unhealthy drug. Only reason why it "isn't a drug" is because population is so deeply chained by it that any attempt to take it away will be met with unrest. That and the fact that it forms a major pillar of economy, like cigarettes.

Comment

• Creative burnout. When you have to write, have time to write, know what to write but every word you lay on paper looks like shit and after a some minutes of trying you just can't go further.

I'm in the middle of that and don't see myself getting out of it soon. Hate it.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                  Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• So. After 16 and a half years of life, we had to euthanize our pet cat Sugar.

Today is not a good day.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Sorry about that. I dread the day we'll have to do that with our dog, I can only imagine going through the real deal

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                        Creative burnout. When you have to write, have time to write, know what to write but every word you lay on paper looks like shit and after a some minutes of trying you just can't go further.

I'm in the middle of that and don't see myself getting out of it soon. Hate it.

When I find myself in that rut, I do one of two things:

1. Keep writing until I dig myself out of the hole.
                        2. Stop writing. Read some books and refill the creative fuel tank. I had to do that recently and read Winter Tide and the Handmaid's Tale. Both have pretty good word choices and great descriptions.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

When I find myself in that rut, I do one of two things:

1. Keep writing until I dig myself out of the hole.
                          2. Stop writing. Read some books and refill the creative fuel tank. I had to do that recently and read Winter Tide and the Handmaid's Tale. Both have pretty good word choices and great descriptions.
                          I'll probably go for number 2, seems like a good idea. And thanks for the books suggestions. I was already interested in the Hadmaid's Tale so hearing it's good might convince me picking it up while Winter Tide is a lovecraftian book that totally flew under my radar (which is pretty good when it comes to that) and definitely got my attention
                          Last edited by Cinder; 04-23-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Winter Tide is a great book with great characters and writing. The only complaint I read is the plot and climax are a bit thin. I can see why the critics say that, but I totally understand wanting to reclaim your family's library and find that to be a good character motivation in a Lovecraftian novel. Also, the climax is one of endurance than conflict which may turn some readers off. Still fits into the Lovecraftian mythos though. You can't fight the otherworldly monsters sometimes, just survive them.
                            Last edited by wonderandawe; 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                              Winter Tide is a great book with great characters and writing. The only complaint I read is the plot and climax are a bit thin. I can see why the critics say that, but I totally understand wanting to reclaim your family's library and find that to be a good character motivation in a Lovecraftian novel. Also, the climax is one of endurance than conflict which may turn some readers off. Still fits into the Lovecraftian mythos though. You can't fight the otherworldly monsters sometimes, just survive them.
                              Totally works for me. I am open minded when it comes to all sorts of Lovecraftian stuff, always brought me more good than ill, and I do agree those elements you cited totally fit the mythos.

On my "to read" list for sure

Comment

• I got drawn into a internet argument with people over the Civil War (specifically over the cause thereof), and while the sources for my argument were good (primary source references to slavery as the prime causal factor for secession) I attributed references to them incorrectly (in my mind putting all of them in the declarations of secession rather than split between the text of the declarations and their supporting documentation), a legitimate methodological error on my part that led me to make a factually incorrect assertion (that every one of the declarations of secession contained references to slavery) that I had to walk back. Despite walking back my initial assertion, acknowledging and apologizing for the mistake, and revising the structure of my argument to more accurately reflect my sources, the core thesis of it and its supporting evidence being unchanged, my initial flub has apparently invalidated the entirety of my position. I should have walked away a while ago, but I'm angry at them for refusing to look past my attribution error and engage with my actual argument and I'm more angry at myself for having made the mistake in the first place and looking like a fool.

At this point I'm more motivated by not losing face and I hate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X