You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    Well, I'm not familiar with the fandom, I just watch the show, but has not Missy helped people be more open towards a woman Doctor? Or I'm just being optimistic?
    Sadly, you're being optimistic.The contentious part isn't about Time Lords changing genders - it's that the titular character is becoming a woman. The subject is so toxic in circles that Neil Gaiman - the very one who wrote "The Doctor's Wife" and "Nightmare In Silver" - stopped answering fan questions and talking about the subject. Gaiman was previously very open to talk about the subject, and very much in favor of it.

This is the vocal underbelly however, and in my experience it's also a minority. The problem is that it only takes the worst of a representation to taint the opinion of the whole, however small that worst part is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

Sadly, you're being optimistic.The contentious part isn't about Time Lords changing genders - it's that the titular character is becoming a woman. The subject is so toxic in circles that Neil Gaiman - the very one who wrote "The Doctor's Wife" and "Nightmare In Silver" - stopped answering fan questions and talking about the subject. Gaiman was previously very open to talk about the subject, and very much in favor of it.

This is the vocal underbelly however, and in my experience it's also a minority. The problem is that it only takes the worst of a representation to taint the opinion of the whole, however small that worst part is.
      Eh, I considered it a thing that would happen eventually ever since they made note that the genders could change with Romanadvoratrelundar.

I do find it amusing (darkly) that the complaints (directly or indirectly) I've heard so far consist of (paraphrasing):

"But they promised us a redheaded Doctor!"

"Ewwwww! He can't be a woman!" (Fangirls)

"The BBC had a chance to make a REAL step forward with a female POC Doctor and they fucked it up!"

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• It's hard to tell if it's a matter of people not being able to be happy or just being happy when they make themselves known by complaining.

Comment

• For what it's worth, hearing that not only is Moffat gone, but the new doctor is a woman and her companion is a gay woman of color has got me interested in watching the show again after 3 years. (Nothing against Cappaldi's Doctor, it was Moffat's terrible direction that drove me away, and in retrospect I didn't really enjoy Series 7 very much either). Now I can just pretend nothing after Big Bang 2 happened and Matt Smith died in the explosion and regenerated into Jodie Whittaker.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Fitting to the topic, I hate how Capaldi, his charisma for the Doctor's role and his skills as an actor got wasted the way they were, that's for sure

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
            Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• I'm probably part of the minority who is okay with Moffat's era overall (certain parts I am so not okay with though), but I am looking forward to a new showrunner.

That said, I don't think Bill is carrying over to the next season, given what happens in the last one with her. A shame, but it does avoid the by now cliche Doctor/companion romance subplot/theme.

We will see. So far Capaldi has gone through something equivalent to Colin Baker's era in terms of script quality (though hopefully not behind the scenes events- poor Colin Baker). Time to see if Whittaker gets McCoy's lightning...

Comment

• Phone tag with bureaucracy. Don't call me back. Tell me when you'll be free to take my call and I'll call back. If I couldn't trust you to do whatever it is I needed in the first place, I'm not going to trust you to call me at any reasonable time.

Doctors offices are a real pain with that, why'd I fill out all those forms saying you can tell my wife anything if you're just going to tell her to have me call you back?

But I hate phones in general. The only good things to come out of them are closing geographical boundaries and allowing for an international exchange of ideas and socializing, and phone sex.

Comment

• I hate all these people throwing fits about the Doctor on Doctor Who being a woman.

All this unneeded and unwarranted drama and anger over a fictional character. I don't watch Doctor Who, but I have a lot of friends who do and all the internet bullshit from both sides is really annoying. Personally, I'm okay with the Doctor being a woman.

All this unnecessary drama over the Doctor being a woman makes me glad I'm not a Doctor Who fan.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. So what if the Doctor is a woman now? Is it really worth all this drama and anger? It's just a TV show.

I'm just going to avoid this fandom drama and stick to watching anime and listening to oldies music.
                  Last edited by Camilla; 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Man, someone really doesn't like female characters. I'm not a Trekkie, Star Wars guy or Dr. Who fan but people've been causing a huge fuss about having female captains and jedis, Thors and Iron Mans for years, I'm not surprised they'd do the same for a doctor, even if I find it a weird thing to get angry about in this day and age.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      Man, someone really doesn't like female characters. I'm not a Trekkie, Star Wars guy or Dr. Who fan but people've been causing a huge fuss about having female captains and jedis, Thors and Iron Mans for years, I'm not surprised they'd do the same for a doctor, even if I find it a weird thing to get angry about in this day and age.

I don't get it either. I'm fine with the Doctor being female. Personally, all the people throwing fits over the Doctor being a woman are acting childish and pathetic. I'm not even a Doctor Who fan and I can see the ridiculousness of this whole thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Man, someone really doesn't like female characters. I'm not a Trekkie, Star Wars guy or Dr. Who fan but people've been causing a huge fuss about having female captains and jedis, Thors and Iron Mans for years, I'm not surprised they'd do the same for a doctor, even if I find it a weird thing to get angry about in this day and age.
                        The only one I complain about in that list is the Thor one. And that's not because there's a female wielder, it's because they make his name into a title.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                          The only one I complain about in that list is the Thor one. And that's not because there's a female wielder, it's because they make his name into a title.
                          But there'd been a few different "Thors" before that, no? Aren't there three Thors right now?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                            I think that was more because of the inscription on the hammer, and it does make sense to call her that, if only because what else would you call someone with the power and gear of Thor.

I mean. There's a frog Thor.

Last edited by nofather; 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Don't mind the Doctor Who, but count me in as someone who could've done without Jane FosTHOR and Ri Ri Iron Man.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                                Looking forward to the change, just hope they have more lined up for her than "I'm a woman now")
                                Supposedly the new showrunner has a 5 year long set up plan for the series. I love the first 2 seasons of Matt Smith as 11 but after that it felt that moffat tried to sell us he had it planned all along when he clearly was making up shit as he went.

Comment

Working...
                                X