No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate that I can't get into Netflix Castlevania, also I hate that seven seasons in and League of Legends still has one of the most awful player bases in gaming.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
      Man, someone really doesn't like female characters. I'm not a Trekkie, Star Wars guy or Dr. Who fan but people've been causing a huge fuss about having female captains and jedis, Thors and Iron Mans for years, I'm not surprised they'd do the same for a doctor, even if I find it a weird thing to get angry about in this day and age.
      IMHO, what people are angry about is not so much that Doctor became a woman, but rather the greater background on which it's happening. The so called "culture wars" we are having. When "Ghostbusters" remake happened with female characters, everyone who didn't like the movie was accused of being a misogynist and a horrible person. Even though the movie was really terrible. Marvel rebooted various characters as females, and for the most part this was accompanied by bad writing and downright villainous characters (looking at you, Riri). And once again this was accompanied by attacks on the fanbase. Seeing more and more of their beloved childhood characters twisted and changed hurts people and they get angry on the internet. Where the default state of being is being angry. And I could be wrong, but I don't think Force Awakens was caught in a "Feminist Propaganda!!!11" controversy, in no small part because Rey is not an established character. She's not "Luke Skywalker, but as a gurrl!", she's her own person and can be judged on her own merit (yes, she's a Luke expy, but she's not THE Luke and that matters).

It's also worth remembering that shitslinging over the new doctor is the special olympics of the whovian community. It happens with every regeneration as fans pick apart exactly why ten lines of information they have mean that the new Doctor will be a burning turd compared to their favorite Doctor.
      Last edited by Kammerer; 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• A vocal minority was definitely upset about tfa centering a female character. Also, all of the other characters you mentioned were also their own characters. The "new Ghostbusters" were all new characters, and multiple teams of busters have existed in the (admittedly shaky) canon for years. Tony Stark didn't cease to exist. Etc.

(And I don't really want to make this into a huge thing, but if you don't think at least some of the complaints about female characters in major franchises were misogynistic in nature, it probably just means you were in a position to ignore it.)
        Last edited by Manic Pixie Dreamcast; 07-21-2017, 03:56 PM. Reason: added a link now that i'm on my laptop.

she/her

Comment

• Also, just saying, I didn't like the new ghostbusters movie. Never been called a mysoginist for it. Probably because my reasons for not liking it have nothing to do with the gender of any of the cast or characters.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            Also, just saying, I didn't like the new ghostbusters movie. Never been called a mysoginist for it. Probably because my reasons for not liking it have nothing to do with the gender of any of the cast or characters.
            I'm sure you know what's what with "but I didn't experience it". But as far as Paul Feig concerned - you hated it because you are a womanhater. Like he said. Many times.

Feig said his version of Ghostbusters was made at the time of a "perfect storm" of reboot/remake fatigue and the current political climate in which "white male patriarchy is feeling threatened." But while star McCarthy dismissed those who claimed the remake was "ruining their childhood," Feig said he wasn't aware of what a huge deal the original film was for men who spent their childhood pretending to be Ghostbusters.
            You'll never see Feig say "The movie flopped because I failed". But there are plenty of articles where he blames THE PATRIARCHY.

He added: “The biggest thing I’ve heard for the last four months is, ‘Thanks for ruining my childhood.’ It’s going to be on my tombstone when I die … Honestly, the only way I could ruin your childhood is if I got into a time machine and went back and made you an orphan.”

Feig also described his surprise at who his online trolls are. “I figure it’s some wacked-out teenager. But almost constantly it’s someone whose bio says ‘proud father of two!’ And has some high-end job. You’re raising children, and yet you’re bashing me about putting women in my movie?”
            The message he chose to quote has nothing in it about women... but clearly that's what it was about. Feig knows.

Or look at the daily dot article. I'm not sure how their selection of tweets proves the bias against the movie, but clearly it does in the writer's mind.
            Or look at what happened when James Rolfe aka AVGN refused to review the movie because he doesn't want to watch the movie he'll hate. Look at all them articles accusing him of sexism: daily dot, esquire, indiewire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
              But as far as Paul Feig concerned - you hated it because you are a womanhater.
              Dude, that's complete bullshit. Yeah, Feig handled the Internet backlash crappily but in your own links he doesn't label everyone that disliked the movie as a womanhater. He was clearly addressing the specific volume of social media backlash against the film based on it's all female cast before it was even released; so it wasn't about the quality of the film.

Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight even used Ghostbusters as a demonstration on why IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, and so on all kinda suck at adequately communicating the aggregate views on a film. In it he points out that Ghostbusters got over 10,000 negative reviews from male identifying users on IMDb... before the movie was released (and that this is an example of an observable trend where male identifying users regularly pull down the ratings of female oriented media on the site beyond any individual film). If you actually poke into the numbers the closest to a consensus on the film by people that actually saw it, is that it was mediocre, not bad.

There's a reason your links about Feig are both from before the movie came out.

Or look at what happened when James Rolfe aka AVGN refused to review the movie because he doesn't want to watch the movie he'll hate. Look at all them articles accusing him of sexism:
              First off, he's a film critic. His job is to watch movies and tell people about it. If he doesn't want to review a film, that's between him and his coworkers. Putting out a video about how you're not going to review a film because you don't think you'll like it is kinda dumb when your job is to review films (which means watching lots of bad movies).

Also, those articles largely accuse him of being stupid, not sexist, because is reasoning for not watching the movie were... kinda stupid for a film critic.

Comment

I'm sure you know what's what with "but I didn't experience it". But as far as Paul Feig concerned - you hated it because you are a womanhater. Like he said. Many times.
                Nowhere in that article does he say or even imply that if you didn't like the movie you are a woman hater.

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                You'll never see Feig say "The movie flopped because I failed". But there are plenty of articles where he blames THE PATRIARCHY.
                Again, he never blames the patriarchy for the movie failing in the article you linked. He just makes the completely accurate observation that a lot of grown ass men on the internet spewed an awful lot of hyperbole about the movie. The gender discussion doesn't even come up in the article.

The message he chose to quote has nothing in it about women... but clearly that's what it was about. Feig knows.
                It's not clearly about that. Maybe you are projecting a bit here?

Or look at the https://www.dailydot.com/via/all-female-ghostbusters-backlash-male-tears/"]daily dot[/URL] article. I'm not sure how their selection of tweets proves the bias against the movie, but clearly it does in the writer's mind.
                The thesis of this article is that some men don't like the new ghostbusters because of mysoginy. That's both a far cry from "anyone who doesn't like the movie is a mysoginist" and completely accurate.

Or look at what happened when James Rolfe aka AVGN refused to review the movie because he doesn't want to watch the movie he'll hate. Look at all them articles accusing him of sexism: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/"]daily dot[/URL], esquire, indiewire.
                He's a film critic. It's his job to watch dumb movies.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• The fact that AVGN could smugly bloviate about sacred cow franchises, and THAT'S totally the reason why he'll never see the bad bad movie with girls in it, while sitting beside a fucking cardboard cutout of goddamn Star Trek V (THE ONE WHERE KIRK MEETS GOD) is the best indication I've ever seen that satire is dead.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                  I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

It's also worth remembering that shitslinging over the new doctor is the special olympics of the whovian community.
                    This is absolutely not OK. It's tantamount to using the word "retarded" in a pejorative sense. Don't do it again or you will be subject to disciplinary mod action.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                    Posts in this color are moderator posts
                    Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                    Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

IMHO, what people are angry about is not so much that Doctor became a woman

Wait, WHAT!?

I probably need to start watching this show again, I've clearly missed a bunch of stuff.

Personally, I think the series finale will end with him becoming a ginger like he always wanted... but one without legs, like he always feared!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                        Wait, WHAT!?

I probably need to start watching this show again, I've clearly missed a bunch of stuff.
                        It's really not that unusual, diagetically speaking. If anything, it's diagetically unusual that the Doctor has been a white humanoid man through all of his regenerations up until now. The Master has been a woman before. Heck, the Master has been a bipedal insect before. This to me comes as less of a "wait, what?" and more of a "finally!"

Comment

• When I heard about what regeneration was I thought that was weird. I mean, one that's obviously got more 'real world' explanations than anything, but it's still like Star Trek aliens being for the most part humans with funny things on their heads. Though the new tv show trailer seems to be heading away from that, at least a little bit.

I hate it when movies have two people talking in a car switching back and forth and from the way it shows the background it's clear that they're going to be hit by a car, then they get hit by a car. It's been done well a few times but it's basically another kind of jump scare.
                          Last edited by nofather; 07-23-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            It's really not that unusual, diagetically speaking. If anything, it's diagetically unusual that the Doctor has been a white humanoid man through all of his regenerations up until now. The Master has been a woman before. Heck, the Master has been a bipedal insect before. This to me comes as less of a "wait, what?" and more of a "finally!"

Well, there's been like 12 or 13 doctors (lost count) who were all white men, so for them to finally switch it up like this is kind of surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                              Well, there's been like 12 or 13 doctors (lost count)
                              Yeah, Moffat kinda fucked the count up cause he got antsy about the whole "13 regenerations" thing and just added two previously-unknown incarnations, only one of which was portrayed on camera so he could be the one to "solve" the limited regeneration count "problem".

Though, we did briefly get John Hurt as the Doctor out of the deal, so it wasn't all bad.

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                              who were all white men, so for them to finally switch it up like this is kind of surprising.
                              Oh, yeah, totally. That's why I said diagetically speaking. From a real-life perspective, it's a pleasent surprise that they're finally taking that step.

Comment

• Personally, I stopped watching new Doctor after Season 6 (right before Clara joining). I just think that Stephen Moffat is a terrible writer who ruins everything he touches. He's really good at writing one-shot episodes (Empty Child and Blink are really, really good) but as soon as he has to follow up on things... What is to me the main failing of Moffat is that he warps every story he writes to be centered exclusively around the protagonist. This happened in Sherlock - the focus is not on mysteries, the focus is on the persona of Sherlock and his enemies. This happened in Doctor Who - the focus is not on adventures across time and space, the focus is on the Doctor being the single most important being in the history of everything.
                                Contrast this with the older new seasons. In Season 1 it's Rose Tyler who becomes the time god and is instrumental to solving the story. I forget what Season 2 was about. Season 3 was arguably about Martha Jones as the central character (who I think was the first black lead in DW), and the darker and more unfortunate sides of being a Companion. I mean, life was rough to Martha and she got nothing out of it but dead parents and probably PTSD. In Season 4 we have best girl Donna Noble beating the Dalek invasion, not the Doctor. And in all those seasons the story was not "Threat X wants to destroy the Doctor because he's too awesome." Daleks wanted to take over the world in seasons 1 and 4, and Master wanted to take over the world in season 3.

And speaking of Sherlock, the mutilation of Irene Adler story was an absolute crime. How do you go from a story about innocent woman outwitting Sherlock Holmes and getting away with doing what she wants (dumping king of Bohemia, marrying out of love and skipping country) to a story where Irene Adler is an actual villain, falls in love with Sherlock, and gets outwitted by him?

Comment

Working...
                                X