Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I too have watched that video by hbombergy

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I hate the pain from the second round of periodontal surgery I just had, I had to go back for a follow up visit 3 days after the procedure (and missed 3 days of work from a job I just started last week) because the pain wasn't getting better. Perio surgery sucks, the moral of the story is don't skip 3 of your scheduled dental cleanings, and don't let your dentist do inadequate cleanings when you do go. Flossing and brushing daily apparently aren't sufficient by themselves in my case.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
      Posts in this color are moderator posts
      Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
      Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

• On the subject of the new Ghostbusters movie/Marvel's changes to major characters:

I LIKED the new Ghostbusters. I laughed, and I laughed hard. Maybe I have bad taste? The genders of the characters didn't bother me. Leslie Jones also went on record as saying that people who don't like the movie are sexist; heck, she even brings up gender/race discrimination IN THE MOVIE. For the record, she was my least favorite character, not because of ethnicity, but because she's kind of annoying. I also don't like her insurance commercial.

I have no problem with Marvel introducing new characters, but I would prefer it if they were ACTUALLY NEW; and not affirmative action replacements for the top 10 heroes. SOME of them are well handled, but as a concept, the whole thing is just a blatant publicity stunt.

Miles Morales as Spider-Man is good from what I've read. It helps that Peter Parker is still THE Spider-Man.

Jane-as-Thor is actually pretty good, but I don't like her calling herself Thor. As many of you are no doubt aware, Thordis is the correct feminine form of Thor; (And was used in a What If? where Jane found Mjolnir instead of Donald Blake DECADES AGO) and since Asatru is still a living faith, having a mortal, no matter how worthy, steal the personal NAME of one of their cheif deities seems rather offensive. The way Odin has been portrayed as a mysogynist symbol of the Patriarchy in this story is crap. The scene where Titania throws a fight for Jane because "girl gotta stick together" was pure bullshit! Titania's whole motivation for becoming a villian has been to prove she's better than She-Hulk; she's NEVER been about "sisterhood", or feminism; quite the opposite, actually.

Sam taking over for Steve was going well for a while, but now it's gotten too political.

X-23 as Wolverine has been good so far, and Laura makes sense taking up the mantle with James Howlett dead.

Amadeus Cho... I am a bit torn about this: on the one hand, he has been portrayed as Hulk's sidekick for years, so his taking over makes sense. On the other, "Bro Hulk" can be annoying.

I LOVE Jen Walters, but this current run, with her new look, is GARBAGE. 6 issues of a book titled "Hulk", before she FINALLY Hulks out? Ugh.

Riri just plain sucks. They really should just make her a villian and be done with it.

America Chavez was kinda interesting when she appeared in "Young Avengers", but now? Lol, nope! The "Utopia" she comes from is one in which I would probably be executed for being: A. Male. B. Heterosexual. C. Not brown enough. If that's her idea of a perfect society, then she's well on her way to being a villian.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

• I hate when people break their promises. It's been happening so often recently and it never stops being heartbreaking for me, even if it's over the most unimportant of things.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

• Quick vent since this seems like the best place for it:

After months of encouraging his players to plan extensively on gaining supernatural templates in play, my ST decided it'd be funny to have them all suddenly happen at the same time regardless of our individual readiness or what he had told us to expect. This went horribly. Now he's decided he doesn't like the game and will wrap it up after one more combat focused session, or drop it entirely, to play D&D.

Which... okay, I guess. I don't want to force him to run it, obviously. But I put a lot of time and effort into my character and learning the beast rules, foreshadowing the eventual devouring, and today he admitted he never wanted or expected that to be a major part of the game.

The chronicle was never great, but there aren't a lot of opportunities for gaming out here, especially ones that are safe for a trans woman, and it feels like I almost never get to engage in one of my favorite hobbies.
            Last edited by Manic Pixie Dreamcast; 07-31-2017, 04:51 PM.

she/her

Comment

• That's unfortunate. Overreach is a big thing among Storytellers and DMs and even if it works out can lead to burnout. I've found avoiding cross-splat games to help a lot in terms of minimizing difficulty. Once you start throwing other lines in it's a lot of work.

It can be pulled off, it's just not necessarily worth the work.

Comment

• Yeah. I thought everyone was on the same page about giving those introductions some room to breathe, both for narrative purposes and so we could all get used to the mechanics. It was originally pitched as a long term game so I think the potential to do it well was there. I'm trying not to be too bitter but I feel like misleading us like that was a spectacularly ill conceived move. He really just thought it'd be a good twist but even if we were still playing, it destroyed a lot of the work that we put in.

And D&D is fine but shutting down a narrative focused non-fantasy game to play it instead is my twilight zone-esque ironic hell.
                Last edited by Manic Pixie Dreamcast; 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM.

she/her

Comment

• Everyone thinks they want to run a cross-splat game but comparatively very few people find they actually enjoy doing so when the time comes. It's a LOT of work, and not even particularly rewarding work in my opinion. I am sorry your game fell apart because of it, that really sucks.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manic Pixie Dreamcast View Post
                    Quick vent since this seems like the best place for it:

After months of encouraging his players to plan extensively on gaining supernatural templates in play, my ST decided it'd be funny to have them all suddenly happen at the same time regardless of our individual readiness or what he had told us to expect. This went horribly. Now he's decided he doesn't like the game and will wrap it up after one more combat focused session, or drop it entirely, to play D&D.

Which... okay, I guess. I don't want to force him to run it, obviously. But I put a lot of time and effort into my character and learning the beast rules, foreshadowing the eventual devouring, and today he admitted he never wanted or expected that to be a major part of the game.

The chronicle was never great, but there aren't a lot of opportunities for gaming out here, especially ones that are safe for a trans woman, and it feels like I almost never get to engage in one of my favorite hobbies.
                    If you ever want to have the fun of a crossover CofD game without the mechanical headache, Urban Shadows does a wonderful job of it. I've been having a blast running a game with a demon, a werewolf, a mad scientist, a ghost, and a hunter in it, and there's an upcoming playbook that looks an awful lot like Beast.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manic Pixie Dreamcast View Post
                      Quick vent since this seems like the best place for it:

I lost count of how many times I saw this happen. I get why, as a Storyteller, you're excited, make great plans and aim to go big. Then can't handle the realities of all of it. It's always awful when that happens, had to throw away quite a few characters because of this.

Sorry you had to deal with it.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

• You might try something online. Sometimes there's people recruiting for games in the play-by-post forum.

Society's so annoyingly weird.

Comment

• Just realized that lately I can afford to be on the forums only after long days of work and study, because I really, really want to finish college (despite the many issues that make it difficult). This in turn means that I tend to be more tired and stressed than it would ideally be and I my attempts at interacting with people or being a pleasant person fail miserably. At least from my perspective, where I'm always afraid to disappoint people.

Still, I feel the need to apologies to anyone I might have offended or irritated recently. Sorry people. I swear it's not intentional and that I can usually behave better.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

• The feeling of being usless. My wife's at hospital in another city cause of birth complications, daughter in womb stoped eating and growing, today they will think what to do. I'm going to the job to end many cases at once and ride asap to her. Yesterday we were waiting 4 hours before doctor decided that he can take a look at her cause he ended a dinner and stoped joking with personel (I wanted to kill motherfucker with bare hands), I was in home in middle of night and few hour later I had to wake up. I think that nobody is prepared for such things.

Comment

• Joe Rogan can go fuck himself. Giving a platform for bigots while nodding along with their opinions MAKES YOU ONE TOO, JOE, YOU SELLOUT.

I hate that I used to respect him.

(They/Them/Theirs)

Comment

• I hate that I might be homeless tomorrow. And even if I have a place to stay, I'm not sure how I'm going to move my stuff; I don't have a car, and so far none of my friends are available to help me move.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

Working...
                                X