You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
    Was that how it went though? I mean i remember that the whole "peter vs flash" was buried before Gwen Stacy death. Then he became a supporting character for peter for many years and he went on the alcoholism storyline.

But then one more day happened and he lost his legs on Irak in the new continuity but i dont remember if the alcoholism was part of the new continuity.
    He was explained as overcoming his alcoholism, but substituting his addiction with his need for the Venom symbiote. He still goes to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Regardless i do think he is popular or at least Marvel think he is as he got the Blue Beetle treatment of being shove in everything for a while.

I think they were aiming to make themselves a edgy Guy Gardner with the whole likeable but flawed Bro-hero.
    Considering how he was treated it doesn't seem like it. Most people flat out didn't trust him. As for his popularity, he's been replaced by a random army veteran, and now the symbiote's back with Eddie Brock. It's probably more accurate to say that the Venom symbiote is popular.
    Last edited by nofather; 09-09-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
      He still goes to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
      It's worth noting, this isn't uncommon for recovered alcoholics, even when they have been sober for years.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        It's worth noting, this isn't uncommon for recovered alcoholics, even when they have been sober for years.
        I think it's supposed to be something you keep up. I was just using it as evidence that his alcoholism was not rebooted away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Yup. It's all part of the philosophy, which is actually that an addict is always an addict - we aren't "recovered" no matter how long we've been sober, we are "in recovery" because it is an ongoing process, not an on-or-off state of being.

Even those of us addicts that don't go to meetings on the regular anymore might find a day we are feeling like we might use and could use some support, and swing by a local meeting (which are thankfully never too hard to find) to get it.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

No one in the Marvel Universe would honestly consider him that, given his tendency to eat people, succumb to villainous demands, and occasionally just let the symbiote go crazy and kill. Most people in the MU simply don't trust him. For all that Spider-man is depicted as a flawed hero, Flash is treated as a failed one, and the reason is nothing more than because he bullied Peter Parker when they were kids.

Huh? Flash Thompson, Agent of Venom? Was a decorated war hero, who lost his legs, and then gained use of the symbiote where he USED IT FOR GOOD fighting the good fight against villians through his own 40+ issue series.

Flash Thompson is NOT Eddie Brock.

Flash is definitely not a failed hero, and I'd argue his battle with alcoholism(and general success beating it) has made him stronger for it.

We're not going to agree, and that's cool. I'm a huge fan of symbiotes in general, and Flash did the suit proud. To me, Flash was/is a hero and had a comic last almost four years starring a C-list character during a time in comics where that simply did not happen.
            Last edited by Fat Larry; 09-09-2017, 07:06 PM.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
              Yup. It's all part of the philosophy, which is actually that an addict is always an addict - we aren't "recovered" no matter how long we've been sober, we are "in recovery" because it is an ongoing process, not an on-or-off state of being.

Even those of us addicts that don't go to meetings on the regular anymore might find a day we are feeling like we might use and could use some support, and swing by a local meeting (which are thankfully never too hard to find) to get it.
              Yeah, a lot of important people in my life are in the program, so I'm pretty familiar with it. That's why I pointed it out, cause I feel like that's a pretty commonly misunderstood facet of it. But it does seem I misunderstood Nofather's point anyway.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• My dad made a transphobic joke online about a week back and I called him out on it. He never apologized, so I made the mistake of confronting him about it today, where he told me that he had apologized, then deleted the comment thread with the apology in it before I could see. Then he said the problem was my fault because I'm always pouncing on people when they fuck up, and that I wasn't supposed to see it anyway. Then he said it was unreasonable to expect him to worry about offending people all the time. Then he said it was shitty of me to never visit him, and when I mentioned that he threw me out of his house when I was 16 and forced me to write and sign a contract saying I wouldn't come back, he said I chose to leave called me a liar to my face.

This on the heels of my ongoing debacle at work (a coworker has said several unacceptable things to me and is now literally crying to my boss that his hours have been cut because HR doesn't want him there when I'm there, so he came by the store after hours on his day off to accuse me of trying to get him fired) has me feeling real fucking exhausted.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Nerds aren't oppressed, and they're not any kind of minority. Anyone on the street knows who Thor is; videogames are the largest entertainment industry.
                  Dumbass foreigner question: What ethnic groups are minorities in US? Any nonwhite group?

(A related question is "What's white?". I know in the US some people who look European to me are classed as Latino due to having Hispanic culture/speaking Spanish, does "White" mean Anglophone European-American?)

Comment

• Originally posted by An Fhuiseog View Post
                    (A related question is "What's white?". I know in the US some people who look European to me are classed as Latino due to having Hispanic culture/speaking Spanish, does "White" mean Anglophone European-American?)
                    This is a funny one, because our census counts White Americans, European Americans, and Middle Easterners as white, and you can be white but also of Hispanic or Latino origin.

Comment

you can be white but also of Hispanic or Latino origin.
                      You can, but most legal forms don't have an option for it. Being a quarter Puerto Rican, I am often at a loss for which box to check, since the options are usually "White (not Hispanic or Latino)" or "Hispanic or Latino (not White)" and there's often no mixed race or "other" category.

Comment

• MORE GODDAMN HURRICANES.

This is not a joke: I'm becoming more and more convinced that either Heaven or Mother Earth are angry, and this is just the beginning of their wrath. God have mercy on us all.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                          MORE GODDAMN HURRICANES.

This is not a joke: I'm becoming more and more convinced that either Heaven or Mother Earth are angry, and this is just the beginning of their wrath. God have mercy on us all.
                          Clearly US teenagers should stop fucking around with time travel. DONTNOD warned you, and you didn't listen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                            Clearly US teenagers should stop fucking around with time travel. DONTNOD warned you, and you didn't listen!
                            I actually made that same joke a few days ago, speaking with some friends.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                            Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• I hate when people insist that something is not worth paying for, but they still want it.

I just don't get how a person can want something but not see it as having any value, and then start talking about how unfair it is that whoever makes the thing is asking for money in exchange.

It just seems to me that either you want a thing, and thus it has value to you (even if that isn't a value that matches the price being asked), or a thing has no value to you, and thus you have no desire for it. So every time I hear someone say something along the lines of "I want that, but asking me to pay for it is ridiculous" I can only think that the person is being dishonest (possibly with them self) or is just incredibly out of touch with how the world works for some reason (parents spoiled them to the point they don't understand the core concept of working for something, maybe?)

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
                                I hate when people insist that something is not worth paying for, but they still want it.

I just don't get how a person can want something but not see it as having any value, and then start talking about how unfair it is that whoever makes the thing is asking for money in exchange.

It just seems to me that either you want a thing, and thus it has value to you (even if that isn't a value that matches the price being asked), or a thing has no value to you, and thus you have no desire for it. So every time I hear someone say something along the lines of "I want that, but asking me to pay for it is ridiculous" I can only think that the person is being dishonest (possibly with them self) or is just incredibly out of touch with how the world works for some reason (parents spoiled them to the point they don't understand the core concept of working for something, maybe?)
                                Is this about art/graphic design? Because it sure feels like it.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X