No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the way it slotted into the religions of Abraham narrative foundational to Vampire the Masquerade was fine. Demon's handling of non Christian religions in Earthbound, despite that book's many good qualities, was problematic to say the least.
    Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• A few people I know have committed suicide recently, and it weighs on me heavily.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        A few people I know have committed suicide recently, and it weighs on me heavily.
        My condolences.

Comment

• I hate when someone offers to listen to my problems and then when I start talking they wave it of saying that what I deal with isn't serious enough to be called a problem and that I should just man up and deal with it like a grownup.

Also I hate myself for ruining my life.

Comment

• I hate feeling like I'm a passenger in a vehicle that is going way too fast and is on a direct course to pancake itself against the dead center of a brick wall, and the driver won't let himself be persuaded to steer from the course by petty "facts" or "sense of self-preservation."

Comment

• I hate that two months of harassment and the offender losing his shit and screaming nonsense during a sensitivity training still isn’t enough for HR to consider that maybe, just maybe this guy doesn’t have a place on the team.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• I hate that I somehow didn’t manage to sell any copies of my book for the whole month of October. It kind of sent me into a self loathing spiral because I had so much my self worth tied up in it

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

• https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ronies-n817711

The hits just keep on coming.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• Loving something that's tragically unpopular, or simply not popular enough, and thus never going to get the support or interest that more popular things get. It's one of the reasons I dislike TVTropes, as basically a showcase for how it pans out.

I'm sure everyone can relate on some level.

Poor Cass, at least she got some new editions out.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      I definitely can.

For example, between the AD&D and "basic" D&D (plus other boxed expansions) of the '90s, I have always felt like TSR chose the wrong one to stop making. And, my favorite campaign setting that was made in-house for D&D also happens to be one that continues to be full-stop ignored to the point of not even getting mentions in the sections of modern adventures that talk about how to fit the adventure into other D&D settings.

...and I've always wished that Final Fantasy VI would get even half the attention that Final Fantasy VII manages to draw.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
                        And, my favorite campaign setting that was made in-house for D&D also happens to be one that continues to be full-stop ignored to the point of not even getting mentions in the sections of modern adventures that talk about how to fit the adventure into other D&D settings.
                        Which one?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          It's one of the reasons I dislike TVTropes, as basically a showcase for how it pans out.

Poor Cass, at least she got some new editions out.
                          I dont understand what TVTropes has to do with popularity or not of a product

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
                            I dont understand what TVTropes has to do with popularity or not of a product
                            You might have read that wrong. I didn't say TVTropes influences how popular or unpopular a product is. I said it's a 'showcase' for how popularity can affect the support a piece of media gets.

Sure. Lets use Game of Thrones as an example of a popular piece of media right now. If you go to the Game of Thrones page, you'll see that there are so many tropes, they've been divided into eight sections, alphabetically. Going midway down we'll pick E-F, then going further midway down the page there's the trope 'Even Evil Has Standards.' One of the entries references a Rat Cook and another trope, 'Sacred Hospitality.'

'Sacred Hospitality is very Serious Business throughout the known world. While at the Nightfort, Bran recalls the myth of the Rat Cook, whom the gods cursed not for murdering a prince, nor for baking him in a pie, but for harming his guest.'

Now, this doesn't really fit the trope 'Even Evil Has Standards,' which is described basically as, 'One of the easiest ways to highlight just how bad something or someone evil is: have an otherwise-remorseless villain reject it.' The gods are not portrayed as evil. The Rat Cook isn't rejecting it, in fact he seems pretty straight out evil. This is more in the vein of 'Evil Should Have Standards,' or just 'Sacred Hospitality.' But because this is a popular piece of media, people love to add to it. It's not that it's got more than other things. It's merely more popular. So people will dig out some of the most obscure of references and shoehorn them in.

Now going with the same trope lets check out Vampire the Requiem. The trope has enough examples to fit everything into their associated genre, so we have a Tabletop setting. Masquerade tops the list, first thing there. Requiem is second.

I'm thinking of Belial's Brood. See, they're fairly unpopular. Most of the people who mention them don't seem to know they have their own book, or at the least haven't read it, and base their knowledge of the group on the core book's faction description. But within Belial's Brood there's many factions, one of which is called the Corpus Delecti. They drain humans to death. Because they believe it's how they can get their souls, so that they can make themselves more of a creature of soul. They're weird, and clearly evil, a threat to the Masquerade and everything. However, there's this, regarding diablerie:

'the Corpus Delecti abhors the notion of diablerie, and its members prefer any fate — up to and including Final Death — to committing the detestable and sacrilegious act.'

They would rather choose the Final Death than diablerie. Diablerie is a contentious subject in the Brood, but more due to the effect it has on you than anything else, but these guys draw a line in the sand. This would fit perfectly for Even Evil Has Standards. Even if the Corpus Delecti are just a fraction of the Brood, it's not as if the Rat Cook is a major part of the Song of Ice and Fire, so they're even comparable in scope. But there is no entry for it. Requiem, played by a fraction of a fraction of tabletop gamers, is not as popular as the Song of Ice and Fire series, and so doesn't get the same amount of people clamoring to add things to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                              Which one?
                              Mystara/"the known world" - it was the setting that arose from the details included in the B-series of adventures and was used as the example of a setting in the Expert rules box, and further expanded upon by all the products released under the D&D (rather than AD&D) banner.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• The logic falls down a bit when you consider how work on a wiki is accomplished. Popularity is certainly part of things, but the quantity of examples on a page, and a quality of them, only says how much work is being done on them. A TVTropes page could be the product of a hundred people doing a little bit of work each, of ten people doing a ton of work each. And most people on wikis don't go in an look at the contributors, edit history, and so on to really look at this sort of thing.

Like, voice actors on TVTropes tend to have much larger pages than regular actors... this has very little to do with the relative popularity of each (even on TVTropes) and more to do with the wiki culture there finding listing voice actor credits more interesting (holy crap, he did that voice too, I didn't even realize that was him!).

But then again, the initial issue strikes me as odd. Popular things win popularity contests even if I don't like them as much as other things? I mean, it's not fun, but we're on an RPG forum... RPG's have been losing popularity contests to other forms of entertainment since always. I mean, I can relate, but it hardly gets to the level of "mild dislike" for me, let alone "hate."

Comment

Working...
                                X