You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
    Mystara/"the known world" - it was the setting that arose from the details included in the B-series of adventures and was used as the example of a setting in the Expert rules box, and further expanded upon by all the products released under the D&D (rather than AD&D) banner.
    Ahh, yes. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that setting was explored more through inference and environmental storytelling, as opposed to the more direct storytelling and exposition of, say, Forgotten Realms, yes? I think that’s the same reason my own favorite setting, Nentir Vale/Points of Light gets ignored as well. That, and it’s association with 4e. And arguably that style of worldbuilding is part of why Requiem and CofD by extension were not as well received as Masquerade and WoD. It seems like direct, expository storytelling just has more commercial appeal than more invironmental worldbuilding. Which is really too bad.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      But then again, the initial issue strikes me as odd. Popular things win popularity contests even if I don't like them as much as other things? I mean, it's not fun, but we're on an RPG forum... RPG's have been losing popularity contests to other forms of entertainment since always. I mean, I can relate, but it hardly gets to the level of "mild dislike" for me, let alone "hate."
      The issue is not 'popular things win popularity contests.' It's 'liking something that doesn't win popularity contests and the effects of it.' As small as RPG culture is it's still a fairly large culture. And the 'of Darkness' games may be a fraction of that but they're still decently supported. That said, if you did want to use the gaming community as an example you could look at something like Paizo, which manages to put out monthly and quarterly books. You may be fine with how often books get out, but you've had to at least seen other posters wanting more books or faster releases (something a more successful company, due to more popularity, manages). If you want to look the other way you can see the various 'failed' RPGs that simply don't have anything at all, like Talislanta, the fans of which are, for however much they enjoy their game, stuck with decade old books without support.

Though tabletop gaming wasn't part of the initial point, I've also seen people struggle with gaming simply because they lack access to other people who play tabletop games, or the tabletop games they like. I've always thought the internet should be able to bridge some of those connections but it's not entirely a given and whatever the tabletop version of pick-up groups are called there's often less of a connection when done online than in person.

I suppose it's the fandom equivalent of privilege. Game of Thrones fans can rest assured they can bring things up and talk about the fandom to strangers and know that, even if the writer dies the story will get finished somehow. While a fan of, I suppose, Dwarf Fortress might recognize that mentioning it to a group of friends can result in blank faces, and if Toady gives up the entire thing is over.
      Last edited by nofather; 11-11-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

... and if Toady gives up the entire thing is over.
        Damnit dont jinx it, i want to see the game come out of alpha some day. Quick somebody knock on wood.

Comment

• I hate when a gamer is both hyper-obsessed about "balance" and hyper-obsessed about "rules as written", and as a result they take some game element and start raving about how "broken" it is even though the only way to arrive at the result they are getting is to slavishly adhere to one particular part of the rules for the game and ignore any others that would contradict it being used in that particular way (i.e. insisting something that only does what is perceived as broken because if you stick with combat turns being taken sequentially - rules as written initiative/turn order - and ignore that combat turns represent a specific amount of time in which a bunch of stuff happens simultaneously - also the rules as written - you can do the thing perceived as broken).

Makes it nearly impossible to actually resolve the problem (a thing theoretically happening in play that they do not like) because anything short of changing the bits of text they are overly focused on isn't a "fix" it's just "home-brew" (which I guess is inherently bad to people afflicted by this twin obsession with balance and rules as written).

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• I hate when people over-reach to the point of absurdity in order to justify oppression in fictional settings, and doubly so when they try to argue that such things are more 'realistic' no matter how fantastical the setting.

Source: Had someone trying to argue with me that one of the nations in Eberron should be sexist and transphobic "because it's a theocracy," even though that state religion has no beliefs that support any of that.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              I hate when people over-reach to the point of absurdity in order to justify oppression in fictional settings, and doubly so when they try to argue that such things are more 'realistic' no matter how fantastical the setting.

Source: Had someone trying to argue with me that one of the nations in Eberron should be sexist and transphobic "because it's a theocracy," even though that state religion has no beliefs that support any of that.
              That's the sort of thing on my short-list of ways to get asked to leave my house.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
                That's the sort of thing on my short-list of ways to get asked to leave my house.
                Thankfully, this was in an online community. My actual playgroup consists entirely of very kind trans girls.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• I hate that alt right chuds been spraying threat graffiti all over the college I go to it’s really making me nervous
                  Last edited by The young man in the cafe; Yesterday, 12:47 AM.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Working...
                  X