No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who throw around certain words with reckless abandon. I know it's the cool thing to do, especially from the left, but if you do, I will automatically tune you out.

I can be your ally, or continue standing in the corner. Up to you...
    Last edited by Fat Larry; 03-07-2018, 10:00 PM.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
      People who throw around certain words with reckless abandon. I know it's the cool thing to do, especially from the left, but if you do, I will automatically tune you out.

I can be your ally, or continue standing in the corner. Up to you...
      Care to be specific?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Care to be specific?

Sure, I'll be specific...

Who in the blue hell told people to start throwing around the word "cuck" like a bunch of god damn smurfs?

Learn the definition of a word, before you start using it in a sentence, people!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Sure, I'll be specific...

Who in the blue hell told people to start throwing around the word "cuck" like a bunch of god damn smurfs?

Learn the definition of a word, before you start using it in a sentence, people!
          That one’s an alt-right buzzword motivated by folks who think the only reason you would be nice to a woman is because you want to fuck her, and that being nice to a woman without using it to fuck her makes you a cuckold. They then expanded it out to refer to anyone they think isn’t appropriately hyper-masculine.

Larry was complaining about leftist dialogue, which is why I was curious, and that particular nasty one has nothing to do with it.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

That one’s an alt-right buzzword motivated by folks who think the only reason you would be nice to a woman is because you want to fuck her, and that being nice to a woman without using it to fuck her makes you a cuckold. They then expanded it out to refer to anyone they think isn’t appropriately hyper-masculine.
            Neither one of which is even remotely close to what the word actually means!

Cuckold = A married man who's spouse cheats on them.

I'm not angry that people decided to raise this word from the dead. I'm angry that people constantly misuse it. Hell, it even got thrown into an episode of Winona Earp!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Neither one of which is even remotely close to what the word actually means!

Cuckold = A married man who's spouse cheats on them.

I'm not angry that people decided to raise this word from the dead. I'm angry that people constantly misuse it. Hell, it even got thrown into an episode of Winona Earp!
              The intent of the alt-right use of the term to refer to people whose sexual partners aren't literally cheating on them is meant to humiliate the target by implying a lack of masculinity on their part, under the assumption that unmasculine men get cheated on by their sexual partners.

It's a bit like calling someone a pussy as opposed to a coward. It's not meant to literally suggest that the target is a vagina. It's meant to suggest that, like a vagina, the target is unmasculine. Nevermind the cisnormative and mysoginistic implications of that usage, that's the intent. Likewise, the intent of cuck is to suggest that, like a cuckold, the target is unmasculine.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              Larry was complaining about leftist dialogue, which is why I was curious, and that particular nasty one has nothing to do with it.
              I'd assume nazi, antisemite, homophobe, misogynist, racist, etc.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Changing gears here a bit...

Sometimes I feel like a neophile in a hobby inundated with neophobia. Seems like gamers, particularly RPG gamers, get so attached to tradition and resistant to change, while I just love seeing the hobby evolve. I always get really excited when a game I like starts development of a new edition, while it seems like it puts a lot of other folks on-edge. It's sometimes hard to find people interested in the cool new games I'm most excited about because most folks would rather stick with something older that they're more familiar with. I don't know if I hate that, necessarily, but I wanted to get it off my chest, and didn't know where else to put it.

Also, this is nothing against those who prefer the old, familiar games. People are welcome to their preferences, and there's nothing wrong with sticking with something you know and love as opposed to embracing the new just because it's new. My frustration is entirely with the situation I find myself in, rather than the people who are only doing what suits their taste. It's just kind of a bummer when some new thing comes out and I get super hyped for it and tell my friends, only to be met with trepidation and skepticism. It's not their faults for being happy with what they already know they like, but it leaves me with this horrible nervous energy when I get really excited for something new and can't find anyone to share that excitement with.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  Changing gears here a bit...

Sometimes I feel like a neophile in a hobby inundated with neophobia. Seems like gamers, particularly RPG gamers, get so attached to tradition and resistant to change, while I just love seeing the hobby evolve. I always get really excited when a game I like starts development of a new edition, while it seems like it puts a lot of other folks on-edge. It's sometimes hard to find people interested in the cool new games I'm most excited about because most folks would rather stick with something older that they're more familiar with. I don't know if I hate that, necessarily, but I wanted to get it off my chest, and didn't know where else to put it.

Also, this is nothing against those who prefer the old, familiar games. People are welcome to their preferences, and there's nothing wrong with sticking with something you know and love as opposed to embracing the new just because it's new. My frustration is entirely with the situation I find myself in, rather than the people who are only doing what suits their taste. It's just kind of a bummer when some new thing comes out and I get super hyped for it and tell my friends, only to be met with trepidation and skepticism. It's not their faults for being happy with what they already know they like, but it leaves me with this horrible nervous energy when I get really excited for something new and can't find anyone to share that excitement with.
                  My favorite game ever is getting a new edition that I got to playtest and it’s so much improved it isn’t even funny - and I thought the first edition was perfect!

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

My favorite game ever is getting a new edition that I got to playtest and it’s so much improved it isn’t even funny - and I thought the first edition was perfect!
                    I seem to recall you mentioning Apocalypse World getting a new edition, is that the game you’re referring to?

Comment

I seem to recall you mentioning Apocalypse World getting a new edition, is that the game you’re referring to?
                      Close! I’m talking about Dream Askew, a diceless, GMless game about a queer enclave after the apocalypse.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

My biggest issue is that if it's a game I like and have been playing for some time, I've probably spent hundreds of dollars buying products for it. Usually new editions aren't backwards compatible, so either I put those hundreds of dollars in material on a shelf to gather dust, which sucks because that's now hundreds of dollars worth of stuff that might as well get tossed in the trash, or I don't buy any of the new material and just keep using the old stuff, which also sucks because I clearly enjoyed buying and following that company's products. It's basically the same reason I stopped playing CCG's - the new expansion comes out, you can't use your old cards you spent so much money on anymore, and if you want to keep playing you have to spend more money buying the new product. It was a treadmill I wasn't keen on staying on.

That said, I'm not completely against new RPG expansions, but I do look at them with a cold eye, and they had better be a serious improvement overt the prior edition, especially if it's not backwards compatible.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          My biggest issue is that if it's a game I like and have been playing for some time, I've probably spent hundreds of dollars buying products for it. Usually new editions aren't backwards compatible, so either I put those hundreds of dollars in material on a shelf to gather dust, which sucks because that's now hundreds of dollars worth of stuff that might as well get tossed in the trash, or I don't buy any of the new material and just keep using the old stuff, which also sucks because I clearly enjoyed buying and following that company's products. It's basically the same reason I stopped playing CCG's - the new expansion comes out, you can't use your old cards you spent so much money on anymore, and if you want to keep playing you have to spend more money buying the new product. It was a treadmill I wasn't keen on staying on.

That said, I'm not completely against new RPG expansions, but I do look at them with a cold eye, and they had better be a serious improvement overt the prior edition, especially if it's not backwards compatible.
                          I get that, for sure. I wouldn’t want the games I like to crank out new editions every few years. But with the average life cycle of an edition of an RPG being around 10 years, I feel like I have plenty of time to get my money’s worth. That’s more than your average video game console generation. Plus, those old books don’t disappear. I may not use them as much, but I’ll still bust out the 4e from time to time, just like I’d still bust out the old decks in Magic (or would, if I hadn’t sold all of my old cards).

Speaking of which, I’ve always liked the idea of running a campaign featuring some kind of cyclical antagonist - you know, the monster that slumbers for 30 years and rises once a generation to terrorize the land for a short time before going back into hybernation - where the players portrayed the descendents of their previous characters each cycle, and each cycle used a different edition of the same game’s rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                            ...so either I put those hundreds of dollars in material on a shelf to gather dust, which sucks because that's now hundreds of dollars worth of stuff that might as well get tossed in the trash, or I don't buy any of the new material and just keep using the old stuff, which also sucks because I clearly enjoyed buying and following that company's products...
                            I've never quite gotten that reasoning.

A lot of people seem to react to RPGs like people do to competition-oriented games that constant change what competitors can and can't play at events, or how things work in such a way that causes folks to want to buy X because the Y they already own isn't as useful anymore.

I react to RPGs more like board games - it doesn't matter how old it is, it doesn't matter how many editions/versions come out, all that matters is that if it is fun I will be happy to buy it and keep it on a shelf somewhere just in case the occasion to play it arises some unknown time into the future.

So I'm more with Charlaquin when it comes to the prospect of new games or new editions - I am always open to find something new and enjoyable. But it will go on my shelf (though I have started preferring digital versions where applicable since losing my first gaming collection in its entirety to the whims of a hurricane) next to all the other games/editions that I will likely never stop playing.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

Changing gears here a bit...

For me, it wasn't so much that I didn't like the concept of change in games over the years, but rather I disliked the way in which the changes were handled. The last great Final Fantasy game (for me) was FF9, which was like 3 or 4 consoles ago. After 9, the series tried to make dramatic changes to its gameplay mechanics, and I have never found one that was enjoyable to handle. Tactics came close, but it's still not the same. I miss the classic formula of the old games.

Diablo 3 was also a serious disappointment and completely lacked the spirit of what made Diablo 1 and 2 such great classics. They took a dark story with the occasional bits of humor thrown into it and turned it into a generic hack and slash adventure. It's got all the violence, but none of the atmosphere. It was such a let down that even to this day, I still impulsively spell the game as "Diablow" without even thinking about it.

And then, of course, there was Dungeon Siege 3, which if you didn't include its name in the title and the occasional reference to Azunai, I would swear it did not take place in the same franchise as the first 2 games.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-08-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• An ICE spokesperson resigns due to being unable to stomach the Trump administration's disturbing tact on undocumented peoples and because he was asked to lie about the situation in California, Rex Tillerson is forced out as Sec of State whilst being the only person who actually said anything in support of the U.K. government confronting the Russian government over the use of a nerve agent on it's soil, Trump makes a known torturer who ran a secret prison the next head of the CIA....so....uh......yeah....yeah. Way to go there America....way to go....

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Working...
                                X