You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
    I hate how politically polarized everything has become, and I also hate the rise of extremism on both the Left and the Right.

Fuck the extremists. Bill Maher may be a dickhead, but he was right about one thing. There is a middle ground between the PC Police and the Baltimore Police, and we seem to have forgotten that in this day and age.
    Centrism is still being political.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Centrism is still being political.

I wasn't condemning politics as a whole, I was condemning polarization and extremism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
        I wasn't condemning politics as a whole, I was condemning polarization and extremism.

What's annoys me is that statistically, the vast majority of Americans are rather moderate. It's really only the politicians who are particularly extremist, but our electoral process encourages politicians to be far more extreme in their ideology than the rest of the electorate.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

What's annoys me is that statistically, the vast majority of Americans are rather moderate. It's really only the politicians who are particularly extremist, but our electoral process encourages politicians to be far more extreme in their ideology than the rest of the electorate.

This guy gets it.

Comment

• The idea of the "Extreme leftist America." is a paper tiger. *shrugs*

And I am reminded of a quote. “The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”

Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 04-15-2018, 07:05 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• America is skewed so far right, what passes for “centerist” here is really just right to the rest of the world; our “right” is extreme right and our “left” is center, maybe just a little left of it. So, when I hear other Americans claim to be centerists, I have trouble taking that at face value.

EDIT: To be clear, I don’t think American centerists are lying about their political stances. Only that in a broader political context, their views tend to be moderate-right.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 04-15-2018, 07:14 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                America is skewed so far right, what passes for “centerist” here is really just right to the rest of the world; our “right” is extreme right and our “left” is center, maybe just a little left of it. So, when I hear other Americans claim to be centerists, I have trouble taking that at face value.

EDIT: To be clear, I don’t think American centerists are lying about their political stances. Only that in a broader political context, their views tend to be moderate-right.
                I remember taking a comparative democracy class back in college where we examined America and various other democracies around the world. I can't count how many times someone would ask, "How come America does X but other countries do Y? X seems really backwards and inefficient compared to Y," and the professor would essentially raise her arms and say, "You're right, and the reason America does that is mostly just because of tradition and precedent."

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  America is skewed so far right, what passes for “centerist” here is really just right to the rest of the world; our “right” is extreme right and our “left” is center, maybe just a little left of it. So, when I hear other Americans claim to be centerists, I have trouble taking that at face value.

As a Canadian, can confirm. The Democrats and the Conservative Party aren't actually that far apart politically, despite supposedly being on the opposite sides of the political spectrum. Context is everything.

That said, it's always hilarious to see the Americans declaring they'll move to Canada every four years if "so-and-so" wins (less funny this time though). That said, it really ticks me off when American politicians start slamming Canada for stuff, especially health care or education. We're fine up here with everything paid for, thank you very much.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

3D Printing CofD | DC Chronicles | Marvel Chronicles | CofD Quotes | The Giftbox

Comment

• While I wouldn't say that all so called American centrists are lying. I WOULD say that a great many such people are lying to themselves or otherwise displaying a great deal of naivety about political realities. Extremism by nature invites confrontation, but it is not the only form of political action that invites confrontation. Protest by nature invites confrontation, rightfully so, but protest and extremism in the political sense are hardly synonyms. Yet, particularly recently in American politics I see that brush being used deliberately and cynically as a weapon against protest and activism. The American centrist would be wise to take a moment to examine the motivations of those that are trying to convince them of that. Before they find themselves labeling people who are fighting against extremism rife in America, the economic, the environmental, in the arena of civil liberty, as extremists themselves.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• I could not care less for John Kricfalusi: did not like his cartoons as a kid and, as an adult, the so-called "genius" never actually impressed me one bit. I know there's nothing objectively wrong to his style, but it's not for me and never was; I just don't like it. But I happen to be a fan a Katie Rice, a cartoonist and comic creator whose work I like quite a lot.

I admit to live outside of the web bubble and discover things months later, if ever, but Katie had not updated her webcomic for ages and today I decided to look around and discover if everything was alright. What I learned left me utterly disgusted and filled with contempt, both for Kricfalusi and in general.

Fuck that.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

• How 'bout those doctors who decide that gay people existing is objectionable enough to excuse them from doing their jobs?*

Oh, wait, no, they asked this invisible guy if it's cool first, and sent the family a non-apology letter five months later, so I guess that's fine.**

**No, no it isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          How 'bout those doctors who decide that gay people existing is objectionable enough to excuse them from doing their jobs?*

Oh, wait, no, they asked this invisible guy if it's cool first, and sent the family a non-apology letter five months later, so I guess that's fine.**

**No, no it isn't.
                          They may be in the profession, but they aren't doctors if they've done that. They broke their oath. Assholes.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

3D Printing CofD | DC Chronicles | Marvel Chronicles | CofD Quotes | The Giftbox

Comment

• Three days of sore throat and fever combined with the awakening of my spring allergies haven't been the best. I feel a bit like a tattered rag and can't do much about it, with the fact that merely looking at a screen or trying to read make my eyes watery and does not help with the boredom

Bleargh.
                            Last edited by Cinder; Yesterday, 07:10 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

Working...
                            X