No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So....neo fascists and incels decided to review bomb and rant on youtube, and brigade two websites so they could rage about Total War Rome 2 because they added more female characters the game. I am so fucking tired of the dregs of fanbases trying to ruin hobbies.
    Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 09-24-2018, 04:35 AM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
      rage about Total War Rome 2 because they added more female characters the game
      As I understand it, the initial trigger was the behavior of the company's community manager in response to such allegations.

But on to the actual hate - 2018 is the year when everything is fucked. Linux developers are threatening to retract their code in response to ideological purges that followed the change in code of conduct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
        As I understand it, the initial trigger was the behavior of the company's community manager in response to such allegations.

But on to the actual hate - 2018 is the year when everything is fucked. Linux developers are threatening to retract their code in response to ideological purges that followed the change in code of conduct.
        Which would be incorrect.

The community manager stepped into a thread on Steam that had devolved into nonsense because your usual suspects of gamer gate types started posting in the thread with the usual hate speech vitriol they are known and loved for. So the thread was shut down, then later a white supremacist website posted an article about the company to fuel "white genocide" mythology. THEN a wannabe Carl of Swindon style youtuber decided to post a video to rile up the gater side of the internet hate machine using a doctored image to make people think that instead of how the game mechanics worked in the game on being able to pick female war leaders for a handful of factions that the game was replacing all the available generals with women.

The whole "But Ella said m̶e̶a̶n̶ totally reasonable things about the fanbase." is this situation's variation of "It's about ethics in gaming journalism."
        Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 09-25-2018, 01:00 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• I hate that people in my life that know I'm a sociopath don't understand what that means well enough to not incorrectly assume I'm being a dick when I am genuinely trying to care, then assume I'm completely immune to any harm that them being a dick in response to that will cause. So if I'm trying to help a friend get past something emotional, and get shit on for not being good at it, it's like I'm confirming that they were right about me being a dick if I snap back after having my feelings hurt.

I wish they could understand that "my emotions didn't develop in the same way as yours" and "I don't have any feelings at all" are not the same fucking thing.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• 20 cm of snow overnight on October 2nd. Dis stupid.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Back pain severe enough that I can't lay down properly. That's not fun. I'm exhausted and I just want some rest, and maybe a painkiller. And some cocoa. And a hug.

And a grilled cheese sandwich.
              And more comics.
              And some plastic vampire teeth.

And my old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pajamas!

AND A LIGHTSABER!!

...I'll settle for the painkiller, though.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." - Clive Barker, The Books of Blood

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                20 cm of snow overnight on October 2nd. Dis stupid.
                And you know the worst part is all the assholes who'll point at the snow on the ground and say, "How 'bout you try and tell me global warming is real now?"

Comment

• Anyone interested in a rant about Columbus made by someone who grew up 50 minutes away from the guy's birthplace?

Because I hate what happens when the topic of being proud of him comes up around here and I have to tiptoe around historical truths to not get labeled as iconoclast and shamed like it just happened

So I feel like speaking without filters about the conflicted relationship you're bound to develop with Columbus if you live where I do but also know enough about the facts.

Just an angry Italian perspective on the whole Columbus day thing, if people think it's worth reading that

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                    Anyone interested in a rant about Columbus made by someone who grew up 50 minutes away from the guy's birthplace?
                    Vent your frustrations, friend. This is a place of healing.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Ok, I'll rant and try to have some fun.

The thing is, I grew up with Columbus not only as a national hero, but even one that's closer to me than that. I'll explain.

I live in a small town near Genoa, which is Columbus' town, in the Italian region called Liguria. We have a reputation for not only being rather fierce (to be honest, lots of regions have that) but also for being grumpy, prideful and always angrily complaining about something. The kind of people that live of tourism but can't stand the tourists and tend to give outsiders the impression they're allowed to pass through but will never truly belong. Each country has those and we're it for Italy.

In all fairness, there's a bit of truth to that. Take that Simpsons sketch where Willie says "Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!", apply it to us, and it will still work. But being this kind of prideful people that care a lot about our own achievements, one of the few things we don't argue about is Christopher Columbus.

We have schools named after him, songs, museums and all that stuff. The first thing you see once out of Genoa's biggest station is a giant statue of him, people visit his home and every now and then a town tries to claim it was there that Columbus actually was born. He's not just an Italian hero: he's our hero. Which is just a fact you grow up with.

And that's where the problem start. Because someday, you'll eventually get across the fact that maybe Columbus was not that great. That maybe he's not that worthy of the respect and fame he has.

At first you'll ignore it, because that will just sound wrong to you. Perhaps you'll take it as slander without foundations. At best, you think it's a matter of the usual ugly side of history, nothing more than that.

But then evidence starts piling up, especially if you read some more, and then you have to face the truth: that Columbus, even for historical standards, was a human pile of garbage.

And that's an absurd realization to live with around here because the guy's everywhere! There's this weird dissonance, which is made even weirder by the fact that actually many people know about it. But you can't talk about it because that would break an unwritten social rule. I'm not kidding: aside from some arguments I got into, I witnessed people having trouble with their professors because they disputed Columbus in class, the kind of trouble that comes back to bite you when you're making an exam. People (history nerds, students and other teachers) learn to avoid the topic.

It's frustrating.

Look, I get that historical figures have nasty skeletons in their closet way more often than not and I get that people need heroes and adore the icons they grew up with, but Columbus' actions cross a line of...let's say tolerance towards the facts through awareness of value dissonance, that made me put him off the pedestal.

I don't go out there to ruin people's idea of him, but if I'm taking part in a discussion about Columbus, I'll eventually say what I think.

Let's say that I I wish for the conflict that comes with confronting with sanitized history and actual history to be easier to deal with
                      Last edited by Cinder; 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• I have to get this off my chest. I hate the current Pope. It seems to me he is more interested in looking like a kind and good person then actually being a kind and good person. "Oh I can't talk about how the priests that are under me have been molesting children and have worked to cover it up, we have to talk about the enviroment!" "It's the work of Satan that all this kids have been sexually abused, lets say a prayer and that will fix everything. No Pope Francis its your priests and cardinals that believe that they are above mortal law. How about instead of doing something useless like pray that kids will stop being molested by your priests, you clean house and punish and turn over to the authorites that priests that have been molesting kids.

Sorry for the ramble

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                          I don't go out there to ruin people's idea of him, but if I'm taking part in a discussion about Columbus, I'll eventually say what I think.

Let's say that I I wish for the conflict that comes with confronting with sanitized history and actual history to be easier to deal with
                          Yeah, even for his time period Columbus was a piece of shit. His crimes against the indigenous natives were horrible enough, but he also engaged in brutal oppression of Spanish citizens in the Americas and his actions were so horrific that he was taken back to Spain in chains. In spite of his status as a national hero arguably second only to Ferdinand and Isabella, they nevertheless stripped his governorship from him because of his actions were too much to stomach.

The guy deserves a place in history sure, his navigating to the Americans changed the course of European and world history, but people shouldn't get so wrapped up in the myth that they forget what sort of a person he was.
                          Last edited by AnubisXy; 10-09-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• I hate pointless, vicious arguments. I hate exchanging hurtful words with people I care about. Today I'll be dealing with the fallout of a horrible, possibly home-wrecking situation. I don't know what I'm going to do. I just want some peace. I hope this doesn't get any worse. I have very few people I can rely on, or even speak to. I don't want to lose more family.

Almost forgot: I don't like Mondays.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." - Clive Barker, The Books of Blood

Comment

Working...
                            X