X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    All the work crowdfunding involves.
    What are you crowdfunding?

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      What are you crowdfunding?
      I'm thinking real hard about doing a Kickstarter for Feathers.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• It's kinda frustrating to watch an author for a series you once enjoyed try and fill in holes in her story in ways that only open more holes (and in the process, make things stupid).

"How did they not notice the giant snake under the castle when they installed the modern plumbing? Umm - there was a conspiracy coverup, and prior to that, everybody just soiled themselves!" Okay, then why did the headmaster find a whole room full of chamber pots if everyone was just shitting themselves prior to that?
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-10-2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• They probably didn't need the chamber pots if they just magic'd the shit out of their pants.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            It's kinda frustrating to watch an author for a series you once enjoyed try and fill in holes in her story in ways that only open more holes (and in the process, make things stupid).

"How did they not notice the giant snake under the castle when they installed the modern plumbing? Umm - there was a conspiracy coverup, and prior to that, everybody just soiled themselves!" Okay, then why did the headmaster find a whole room full of chamber pots if everyone was just shitting themselves prior to that?
            Why was that explanation even needed? Just say "well, those wizards couldn't speak Parseltongue, so the chamber never opened" and call it good.

Although I doubt they would have discovered the chamber anyway. It's not like wizards are going to install pipe by hand.

Comment

• It gets worse when you consider that vanishing magic is pretty advanced, which means children up to 15 would have to ask an adult to cast such a spell for them.

Comment

It gets worse when you consider that vanishing magic is pretty advanced, which means children up to 15 would have to ask an adult to cast such a spell for them.

Even worse since plumbing has been around since the BCE, and even in the middle ages people didn't just throw chamber pots out the window. So the whole vanishing the poop away makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                  Even worse since plumbing has been around since the BCE, and even in the middle ages people didn't just throw chamber pots out the window. So the whole vanishing the poop away makes no sense.
                  Well, to be fair, it’s canon that wizards have always been behind-the-times technologically. But yeah, it’s pretty absurd that it took them SO long to get on the plumbing bandwagon, and that they apparently didn’t use chamber pots (which they could have magicked the waste out of just as easily).

Comment

• Without knowing much about Harry Potter verse magical technology, couldn't they enchant diapers or underwear to get rid of waste?

Comment

Well, to be fair, it’s canon that wizards have always been behind-the-times technologically. But yeah, it’s pretty absurd that it took them SO long to get on the plumbing bandwagon, and that they apparently didn’t use chamber pots (which they could have magicked the waste out of just as easily).
                      Guess those chamber pots in the Room of Requirement were canonically just decorative.

Comment

Guess those chamber pots in the Room of Requirement were canonically just decorative.
                        Eh, it’s the room of requirement. It could have been full of used needles if Dumbledore had asked for it.

Comment

Eh, it’s the room of requirement. It could have been full of used needles if Dumbledore had asked for it.
                          I dunno, I always assumed the Room didn't just create stuff out of nowhere, that the things that occupy it came from stuff lost, thrown away, or otherwise unattended around the castle over the years. Like, the room manifested training dummies, which are presumably fairly simple conjurations, but it also stocked itself with numerous self-defense books, which seems a bit far-fetched. But I'll admit there's probably something in canon that contradicts me.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-11-2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I dunno, I always assumed the Room didn't just create stuff out of nowhere, that the things that occupy it came from stuff lost, thrown away, or otherwise unattended around the castle over the years. Like, the room manifested training dummies, which are presumably fairly simple conjurations, but it also stocked itself with numerous self-defense books, which seems a bit far-fetched. But I'll admit there's probably something in canon that contradicts me.
                            The things the room manifests vary from relatively simple ("I need a place to hide my book" resulted in a room full of random junk, implied to be the same room that appears for everyone who asks for a place to hide anything, and that all of the junk was left by others who had hidden it there) to the exceptionally elaborate (when the Death Eaters took over Hogwarts, the room created a fully-stocked common room, including a secret tunnel to Aberforth's house, which I would be pretty surprised to learn existed before the students needed it). I think we can infer that the room is capable of producing anything that is asked for, but that it uses the simplest means necessary to meet the needs of the asker, which is why Dumbledore found chamber pots instead of a bathroom with functional plumbing and everyone who ever wanted to hide anything found the same room. Greater need and more specific requests result in more elaborately-stocked rooms. At least, that's my reading.

Comment

• Fair enough. It's still kind of stupid to say that wizards just soil themselves instead of having bathrooms, since I'm having trouble imagining something more disruptive to a Defense Against the Dark Arts class than making a fresh batch of chocolate cauldron cakes in your robes and having to ask the professor to Scourgify your backside for you.

Comment

• In the last two days, the most thoughtful and civil discourses I've read online have been about wizards pooping.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
                                - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
                                (She/Her)

Comment

Working...
                                X