No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “But Heavy, I only want to be responsible with my gaming choices when it’s convenient for me!”

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      “But Heavy, I only want to be responsible with my gaming choices when it’s convenient for me!”
      This is too real.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Listen here boys and girls
        I've know Matthew McFarland since 2015. He is my friend, fuck it, ill be honest he's like family to me. he helped me through some tough times,he is not and never has been an abuser. I would know.
        Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 02-15-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• I'll believe his accusers, not someone that's known him for a few years. Unless you've spent 24/7 with him for the better part of two decades? You wouldn't know, because you weren't there. Abusers have a fairly obnoxious talent at not seeming like abusers (even to their victims). If every abuser could be identified as such by people that have been friends with them for less than five years... that would mostly speak horribly of humanity by all the abusers everyone notices and does nothing about. I'd rather acknowledge that most abusers are good at hiding it and deflecting suspicions, and (most of) their family and friends are as duped as the rest of us.

If he's actually innocent? It's not going to come out sooner or more conclusively by you defending him. If he's not? You're helping an abuser. So... don't

Comment

• He's family. He's innocent. It's all I have to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              Listen here boys and girls
              I've know Matthew McFarland since 2015. He is my friend, fuck it, ill be honest he's like family to me. he helped me through some tough times,he is not and never has been an abuser. I would know.
              You’ll have to forgive me if I am more inclined to believe the victims than someone who is close to the man and thinks they know him better than that. Especially having been very close to a man who turned out to be an abuser myself, I am well aware of how deceptive abusers can be. Trust me, I know how shocking it can be, how unbelievable it can be, when someone you thought you knew well, who you respected and loved like family is accused of having done something horrible, seemingly out of the blue. But the unfortunate truth is, abusers are not all grease balls who ooze creepy vibes. Some of them, a lot of them, are seemingly very good people, even to those close to them. No matter how well you think you know a person, you are not a perfect judge of character, and the most successful abusers are very, very good at passing themselves off as respectable, trustworthy people. They may even be genuinely good people in other respects; people are complex, and sex is an incredibly strong drive, and otherwise good people don’t always respect sexual boundaries. We HAVE TO believe victims over the people who think they know those people’s abusers better, otherwise the ones who are good at winning others’ trust get away with it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Every abuser has family. That doesn't make them innocent. I know precisely how hard it is to accept that someone you love is also someone that's abused people from personal experience. Letting your love for someone blind you to what they're doing to other people is not helping anyone.

Comment

• Dude, Matt's one of the best people I know, and I actually owe more of my writing career to him than I do Olivia Hill-but one of the problems is that I only know what he has presented to me. And people change over time, and bad decisions in our youth can always find a way to come back and reveal something we never saw.

It's not like this is new news, at least of that sort. Much like Vic Mignogna's* stuff has floated around for years, stuff has been floating around about Matt for years, and unfortunately that sort of stuff usually ends up being true. And we owe it to victims to give them the benefit of the doubt, because otherwise this is how harm gets buried and normalized.

You can be a good person and have done something you really shouldn't have. How we reconcile that is one of the great questions of all time.

Matt's good peeps, and Matt's done wrong. How we proceed now is the question.

*And that dude was gonna be at my brother's wedding.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                    I hate most criticism of Beast as a game because 99.9% of complaints about the text are base around putting 1% of what it says out of context.

And yes, I'll call you out specifically Camilla, because you have spent far too many posts complaining about how unsupportive people are of you playing the games you want to play, slagging a game as "shitty" is fairly hypocritical.

That said, if you're going to hate a game-line because Matt was involved in it significantly you have a lot more hate to go around. Though according to multiple people of the 11 on the cover of the book, despite Matt being the developer, the creative process was far more collaborative; one of them citing this as a bad thing and why the core book performed as poorly as it did, and the other just to point out that odds are if there's something in the book that you particularly don't like Matt didn't write it.

If people want to avoid games Matt worked on? Go for it, but be honest with yourselves, look at all the books he's actually worked on, and cut them all out of your rotation (you might not like the end results, but oh well). Singling out Beast doesn't do anything; esp. since Matt's already been blackballed by Onyx Path and not buying the newer Beast books is just harming the writers still around, and Matt doesn't make money off of sales because that's not how the traditional RPG freelancer paradigm works.

Using Matt to attack Beast, and then going to play some other WoD/CofD game he worked on doesn't really say, "I'm trying to use my gaming choices responsibly."

In my defense, I just don't like Beast as a game, Matt's involvement aside.

The concept just doesn't appeal to me all that much, regardless of anything political. To me, Beast feels redundant because there are several other CoD splats that already fill a similar niche and do a much better job of it.

Politics and Matt's behavior are not the main reason I don't like Beast, although they certainly don't help improve my disposition towards it. If you like Beast, that is fine by me.

Beast is a shitty game, but only in my opinion.

So don't jump my ass over something you don't know the full context of.
                    Last edited by Camilla; 02-15-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                      In my defense, I just don't like Beast as a game...
                      Fine, don't play it, and don't take shots at it here.

Just like you don't want people dumping on your preference for dark heroes with fangs play.

If you actually want to talk about the merits and flaws of the game, there's a forum for that; though you might want to bring a bit more than "I don't like the concept, so I assume other game do the same thing better."

Beast is a shitty game, but only in my opinion.
                      "Dark heroes with fangs interpretations of VtM are only enjoyed by losers, but only in my opinion."

Adding that bold part makes you feel just fine about what I said, right? It's fine because I added that and you totally don't think it's an attack on your preferred playstyle, or even yourself right?

I doubt it (outside of the hypothetical nature of the example), and as I said, you're being hypocritical. You don't like it when people talk shit about what you like, but don't want push back when you do the same.

So don't jump my ass over something you don't know the full context of.
                      The context of, "I'm using the accusations of one of the people responsible for this game as an excuse to dunk on the game and thus making it not about affirming believing the abused but instead perverting it to soapbox about gaming preferences," is plenty to jump on someone's ass about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

Fine, don't play it, and don't take shots at it here.

Just like you don't want people dumping on your preference for dark heroes with fangs play.

If you actually want to talk about the merits and flaws of the game, there's a forum for that; though you might want to bring a bit more than "I don't like the concept, so I assume other game do the same thing better."

"Dark heroes with fangs interpretations of VtM are only enjoyed by losers, but only in my opinion."

Adding that bold part makes you feel just fine about what I said, right? It's fine because I added that and you totally don't think it's an attack on your preferred playstyle, or even yourself right?

I doubt it (outside of the hypothetical nature of the example), and as I said, you're being hypocritical. You don't like it when people talk shit about what you like, but don't want push back when you do the same.

The context of, "I'm using the accusations of one of the people responsible for this game as an excuse to dunk on the game and thus making it not about affirming believing the abused but instead perverting it to soapbox about gaming preferences," is plenty to jump on someone's ass about.

Point conceded

Comment

• *raises a finger to make a point*
                          *thinks about it*
                          Actually, I think people know how I feel on this particular problem already.

Comment

• The harem genre has not confined itself to Japanese comics and cartoons, and has become common in Western fantasy and sci fi. And it has evolved so that it's not even just a genre, but a selling point.

This. And the world that has both supply and demand of this.

Comment

• What fantasy/sci-fi series are you thinking of?

Comment

• Also, and I can't believe I'm going to ask this question, what's wrong with the harem genre?

Comment

Working...
                                X