No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't know where else to say this and I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this but:

It may be unfounded, but more and more I get the feeling that Chronicles of Darkness is dimming. I don't really know of a better word than dimming... it's just a feeling. It's not really in the spot-light ever and it doesn't seem to ever get emphatic blog posts like the one V5's supplement just got.

Again it might be unfounded, but just don't have a good feeling.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
      Didn't know where else to say this and I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this but:

It may be unfounded, but more and more I get the feeling that Chronicles of Darkness is dimming. I don't really know of a better word than dimming... it's just a feeling. It's not really in the spot-light ever and it doesn't seem to ever get emphatic blog posts like the one http://theonyxpath.com/onyx-path-publishing-to-publish-cults-of-the-blood-gods-for-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition/"]V5's supplement just got[/URL].

Again it might be unfounded, but just don't have a good feeling.
      To be frank... I lost interest after almost all of the developers that were doing really interesting things with the game left. Losing Olivia was a massive blow, and losing Rose and Matt not long after pretty much killed my remaining interest. They’ve still got Dave and I’ll probably give Deviant a look when it comes out, but today’s Onyx Path is really just not the same publisher that caught my interest ...6 years ago. Add to that the fact that the new IP holder wasted no time in throwing away all goodwill the audience Onyx Parh had cultivated may have had for them, and seemed to actively want to drive away Chronicles fans, and... Yeah, CofD is just not in a good place IMHO.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I think some of it can be tempered by how much is in the works. Changeling 2e was the last major release, while Geist 2e and Contagion Chronicles are both still in process, and Hunter 2e hasn't even gotten to Kickstarter yet, and there's all the CtL 2e supplements in the works. There's just not that much for them to be actively pushing for the CofD right now.

I think a bigger issue is that a lot of the people no longer working on the CofD were really big into the open development process. Olivia in particular generated a huge amount in the main Onyx Path, which created a lot of visibility. The current developers have backed off from open dev or were never that into it, so all the cool stuff they're working on isn't being posted in doses to the main feed, but instead just get hype around either Kickstarters or when the books finally drop. I think Travis's work on Geist 2e is inspired, and Chris's work on Shunned by the Moon was awesome, but since they didn't do open dev on them, there's not really much to do besides the announcements we got around those books.

Comment

• I've run into several people in discord who don't want to come to the forum (or rpg.net) because they've been assured that both places have authoritarian mods that will ban anyone speaking openly and shadowban anyone they don't like, and wannabe edition warriors are rising from their basements in anticipation of a new video game to start the slander and misinformation again. So while I agree with Heavy Arms (and that often it helps to have someone act as a booster for a line, the way Rose was for vampire (though she still publishes stuff tangentially for it), I believe it has also 'helped' that newswise Chronicles isn't exactly hitting the headlines and bitter people are being bitter and loud.

Comment

• Not that my opinion on the matter counts for much among the people spreading such rumors, but I left the mod team on not great terms and I will still go to bat for them as not “shadowbanning” anyone for any reason, and only banning people for repeated or egregious rules violations. They’re particularly strict on shit stirring and group attacks, but I think that’s to their credit.

Comment

• Well, Signs of Sorcery's hit Gold Best Seller on DTRPG and Shunned is sitting at Electrum. Dark Eras 2 is close to release. Changeling, Geist, and Contagion all did well on Kickstarter, plus Deviant is coming soon. And from my PoV as a writer on Mummy and Changeling, there is some awesome stuff working its way down the tube.

I ain't worried. And I'd agree with Heavy about the shift away from Open Dev making things seem quieter.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                I've run into several people in discord who don't want to come to the forum (or rpg.net) because they've been assured that both places have authoritarian mods that will ban anyone speaking openly and shadowban anyone they don't like, and wannabe edition warriors are rising from their basements in anticipation of a new video game to start the slander and misinformation again. So while I agree with Heavy Arms (and that often it helps to have someone act as a booster for a line, the way Rose was for vampire (though she still publishes stuff tangentially for it), I believe it has also 'helped' that newswise Chronicles isn't exactly hitting the headlines and bitter people are being bitter and loud.
                My experience with discords and such people are that they are the type of people that do things like......hang out with the worst dregs of 4chan, chat up people that are straight out, "Let me tell you what kind of neo nazi I am.", are people that like to personally attack fans of certain game lines or are the kind of folks that love to get a particular idea in their head about their favourite game line and then bash others over the head with the notion. Is it everyone? No. Or not even a plurality of people, but it's enough to make them unpleasant places. Given how often I see those folks be by far the loudest voices who say, "Ohhh no don't go to the forums or MeanieMcMeanFace will moderate you!" I am not exactly sympathetic.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  Not that my opinion on the matter counts for much among the people spreading such rumors, but I left the mod team on not great terms and I will still go to bat for them as not “shadowbanning” anyone for any reason, and only banning people for repeated or egregious rules violations. They’re particularly strict on shit stirring and group attacks, but I think that’s to their credit.
                  Yes, I've never had any problem with the mods I don't think (usually just arguments with the player side of them and thats more me being argumentative). But these people are coming to the table with silly ideas. As a non OP example, someone was asking if anyone knew about SLA Industries and if there was word on their updates. I suggested they tried rpg.net and they responded that, 'I much prefer the rapidity of Discord, and I am not sure if it's current crowd would be drawn to something as edgy as SLA.' I can appreciate wanting rapid answers, but I did a quick check and not only had SLA Industries been talked about repeatedly on the forum, but the developer was literally starting up Q&A threads there, one of them was really recent.

And yeah, TyrannicalRabbit, I've noticed that a lot too (I mean this person was basically thinking their interests were too edgy for a forum about rpgs), but it's still an obstacle building a community when there's a group of people maligning them.

I don't think its death knells or anything, all it really takes is one big book idea (and people are really big on some upcoming books, and have been big on a few just published) and some social media impact like someone doing a livestream of their game that turns popular.
                  Last edited by nofather; 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post

My experience with discords and such people are that they are the type of people that do things like......hang out with the worst dregs of 4chan, chat up people that are straight out, "Let me tell you what kind of neo nazi I am.", are people that like to personally attack fans of certain game lines or are the kind of folks that love to get a particular idea in their head about their favourite game line and then bash others over the head with the notion. Is it everyone? No. Or not even a plurality of people, but it's enough to make them unpleasant places. Given how often I see those folks be by far the loudest voices who say, "Ohhh no don't go to the forums or MeanieMcMeanFace will moderate you!" I am not exactly sympathetic.
                    Really? Thats news to me. Every discord I've been have been full of polite,even kind people.

Comment

Yeah, I’m really not at all bothered that the sort of people who think the moderation around here is “authoritarian” don’t feel welcome on these forums. That’s... kinda the point. If you don’t like the idea of SJW being treated as a slur, maybe forums where half the mods are trans women aren’t a great place for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Really? Thats news to me. Every discord I've been have been full of polite,even kind people.
                        Yes really. There are a lot of discords so experiences are going to vary. I would much rather have a kind experience than one involving harassment and people talking about how they miss a person who is making a fan game that makes fun of trans people.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

Yes really. There are a lot of discords so experiences are going to vary. I would much rather have a kind experience than one involving harassment and people talking about how they miss a person who is making a fan game that makes fun of trans people.
                          i'm sorry to hear that.

Comment

• Making people sad. I fucking hate that.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
                            - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
                            (She/Her)

Comment

• I hate my best friend's abusive mom. I hate that I can't tell anyone in my family about it (besides those who know) because of the financial issues getting her out of the picture would put him in until he gets a job that can pay off his college debt and help him afford an apartment. I hate how powerless and confused I feel and I hate how I'm talking about my feelings when he's the one who has an alcoholic mother. I will not say anymore and I don't want any responses. I just want to vent. I also am kicking myself for talking out loud about it over the phone despite my promise when my Dad was down the hall.
                              Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 08-09-2019, 06:26 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• there's a certain group of people who gained more and more power this days,i don't have a name for them but they can be identified by
                                Dehumanizing,vilifying and even advocating violence against people who disagree with their views
                                Hating people for things they haven't done
                                Not engaging in any meaningful discussion or debate,instead they think they are right always, Seriously i'm talking people who don't even consider the possiblitly they might got something wrong
                                thinking people should be convicted of serious crimes without evidence
                                thinking death threats and doxxing are okay in any circustances
                                calling people prejudiced without any proof of past prejudices
                                demading special privileges without wanting to pay for them
                                i deal with those imbeciles all the time,and i'm close as fuck to punch one

Comment

Working...
                                X