You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Let me put it this way - if scientists were to have found a correlation between birthdate and the suicide rate, would that make astrology valid?
    If the correlation was as strong as the ones we're talking about (eg Pisces being 10x more likely to commit suicide than the general population) - it would make ignoring birth date grossly irresponsible for those in a position to:

1) Evaluate mental health services for new patients with no established history
    2) Decide how to allocate funding for mental health services across an organization
    3) Decide how to allocate funding for research into mental health issues

The fact is that 'race', regardless of being a social construct, can be a useful canary for actual useful information. People don't tend to walk into a health service provider with a highly detailed map of their genetic history, and most people in the United States have absolutely no real idea where their heritage lies once you go back further than a generation or two. Race can be a useful indicator for identifying at-risk populations, and the fact that this is even a debate is ludicrous.

I'm not saying it makes the idea of race 'real' or 'valid', because frankly those are philosophical questions.
    I'm just saying there are situations where it's useful and where ignoring it can lead to actual harm specifically to those groups racism already harms most in healthcare.
    Last edited by lnodiv; 11-08-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
      Ethnicity is real. And it's not the same as "race". Being "white" means nothing. You might be German, you might be Moldovan, you might be White American or Jewish. And all of these are not very similar. Being a Black American is much closer to being White American than it is to being Nigerian. I get why a racially diverse country like the USA developed this meme classification of people, but it rustles my jimmies nevertheless. Didn't mean to start a big debate - just wanted to vent a little.
      Here’s the thing, though. As bogus as the concept of race may be, it would be irresponsible to ignore it, because of the way our sociopolitical systems are stacked in favor of white folks. Until and unless we can fix the systemic issues that do real harm to people based on these made-up categories, we can’t discard those categories. That’s why I say race isn’t real but it does matter. Rolling with the astrology metaphor, if the police unfairly targeted Scorpios, it would be irresponsible to ignore that correlation, even though the categorization system is inane.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        As bogus as the concept of race may be, it would be irresponsible to ignore it
        You have a habit of putting things into words that cut right to the point of the issues without alienating anyone, and I really appreciate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
          You have a habit of putting things into words that cut right to the point of the issues without alienating anyone, and I really appreciate that.
          Thank you, that’s very kind of you to say.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• $3 for a side of mole sauce? Did we loose a war? Did tariffs get placed on it?

Are you on the square?
            Are you on the level?

Comment

• Tariffs are just a little bit of it, mostly it's poor crops this past year in California and Mexico, where most of the world's avocados come from. That plus increased demand (it's a superfood!) means higher prices if places sell it at all.

As someone who's only recently (the past few years) had and came to love guacamole I'm annoyed at the situation as well.

Comment

• I'm a teacher. Every time I see another school shooting, my soul breaks just a little more.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• It’s wearing all of us down, and it’s horrifying.

Comment

• The San Francisco police union just threw $50,000 into a PAC intended to oppose a candidate who wants to reduce mass incarceration and hold police accountable for their actions.

Well, it’s clear what their priorities are, at least; the police want to enshrine themselves as a protected higher caste than folks like you and me, the people they swore to protect and serve.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-17-2019, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• I absolutely hate having the flu.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
                      - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
                      (She/Her)

Comment

• Congress might re-authorize the Patriot Act today.

​(Make sure and call your representatives - who knows, maybe we can fight this.)
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• YouTube’s content creators might well be put out on the street by the new rules.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; Yesterday, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• I haven't looked too into it but it seems like this is more YouTube going greedy with their information hoarding, then when they're caught, passing the buck on to creators. It's not as if StreamerJoe was collecting, analyzing, and selling children's information.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              I haven't looked too into it but it seems like this is more YouTube going greedy with their information hoarding, then when they're caught, passing the buck on to creators. It's not as if StreamerJoe was collecting, analyzing, and selling children's information.
                              I phrased it poorly, yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X