You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotEmpathic View Post
    You presume i don't know anything about it?
    Tell me how much you know about my peers and me, then. Otherwise, I have nothing go on outside of presumptions.

Comment

• I mean there have been dozens of studies that show that estrogen used by transgender woman can increase the risk of heart attack and some strokes. So I can see an argument to be made for a concern about a conflict between hormones and cholesterol medication. The human body is a pretty delicate balancing act of chemicals already before you start adding outside influences.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
      But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

• Well, estrogen very much helps me, a transgender woman, want to live. I would much rather have an increased risk of heart attack or stroke than become suicidal again. There's plenty of ways to decrease the risk of heart attack and strokes (diet and exercise are often a part of it), but intramuscular estrogen is literally the only medication I've ever had that was able to control my depression (often major to the point of active suicidality) for more than a couple months. My experience is not unique.

About 40% of trans people have attempted suicide, and I'm damn sure that less than 40% of trans people on hormones (or whatever else their transition may include) have had strokes, heart attacks, or other health problems that their transition-related treatment may exacerbate.

Comment

It was Iethloc that used the Dr and cholesterol meds example, presenting it as a real life example they'd encountered.
          Without any reference to the idea that the doctor's objection is based on preservation of life issues. That escalation was introduced by yourself.

Originally posted by NotEmpathic
          You presume i don't know anything about it?
          You are the one that adopted the defence of "I'm Just Asking Questions so that I can make a judgement on whether or not this is a thing worth taking seriously".

The point of my response is to present that kind of initial scepticism as the default assumption in the face of widespread activism connotes a presumption that trans people have a kind of functional incompetence, and that an inquiry made in good faith would interrogate that impulse.

And it also needs to be reminded that while trans people (and any other marginalised group) can have access to the kind of information and accounts that would disprove counternarratives and back up their own desires, being presented with a constant wall of scepticism and the need to justify themselves is the sort of thing rapidly causes emotional exhaustion.

If you have honest intentions, ask yourself if allaying your doubts should be valued more highly than maintaining a friendly and welcoming space for members of a community that is often severely pressured and lacking in safety or security.

Particularly in a thread that is supposed to be a spot for people getting things off of their chests.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• It's hardly as if hormone replacement is the only medical intervention that carries risk factors. Targeted cancer therapies can come with a variety of side effects, some of which can cause alternative risks of death. A good doctor keeps a patient informed of those things while seeking their consent, while I don't believe that any of them come at the issue with an argument of "I guess there's no choice but to let the cancer run its course".

The cancer therapies with toxic side effects is a basis for funding superior cancer therapies. If hormone therapies have side effects, maybe we should be researching better hormone therapies.

That and how there are several other things that people widely do that increase risks of stroke and heart attack over which I would surmise there is not nearly so much hand wringing. You do get activism trying to encourage people to consume less saturated fats, but those campaigns aren't deeply interwoven with societal systems that target vulnerable minorities.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Denying health care because you want some to die is horrific. Prioritising actual health over a non life threatening condition isn't. It's common sense...
              And?

The issue is that the federal government here just overturned an existing standard that protected people from sexual orientation and gender identity based discrimination.

If you're really seeking clarification on this, perhaps consider that this is about discrimination and what that means beyond things like doctors not always sharing medical opinions.

If i stop taking insulin so i can take something that makes me stop having awful skin, I'd expect a Dr to dissagree with me.
              This is not the issue.

The issue is that it is now legal for your doctor to say, "You need insulin? People that use insulin are evil, get out of my office, and I'm reporting you as having drug seeking behaviors so it's harder for you to get treatment from doctors that put up with disgusting people like you."

Just trying to find out if it's as bad as claimed, or theres a lot of hyperbole going on here...
              You realize you're asking about "how bad" things are for an extreme recent legal change, after years of protection?

We're not going to be able to cite definitive studies a week after the law changes (and is going to be challenged in courts ASAP).

There's already plenty of discrimination in the US health care system despite these protections, we don't need less protections against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

This is not the issue.

The issue is that it is now legal for your doctor to say, "You need insulin? People that use insulin are evil, get out of my office, and I'm reporting you as having drug seeking behaviors so it's harder for you to get treatment from doctors that put up with disgusting people like you."

This is what i have a hard time believeing actually happens, it's several magnitudes above disagreeing over medications. It's why I'm asking, because the assumption seems to be not blindly agreeing equals hate/phobia.

That. Is. Not. Always. Or. Even. Often. The. Case.

I know medical professionals, well enough that i get some behind the scenes chat. They've basically been told they are not allowed to even suggest that a hormonal treatment might be bad for the persons health. One even got threated will being fired for having a remarkably similar discussion about meds. She didn't even say they were bad but thst the hormones were causing complications, and she got reported, so that's why it looks like a massive over reaction. I'm in the BDSM scene with a fairly good representation of lgbt, and this is such a different reaction it seems strange.

Anyway, i get the impression I'll just get cast as the bad guy here, so i'll just not comment on this again.

Comment

This is what i have a hard time believeing actually happens, it's several magnitudes above disagreeing over medications. It's why I'm asking, because the assumption seems to be not blindly agreeing equals hate/phobia.

That. Is. Not. Always. Or. Even. Often. The. Case.

I know medical professionals, well enough that i get some behind the scenes chat. They've basically been told they are not allowed to even suggest that a hormonal treatment might be bad for the persons health. One even got threated will being fired for having a remarkably similar discussion about meds. She didn't even say they were bad but thst the hormones were causing complications, and she got reported, so that's why it looks like a massive over reaction. I'm in the BDSM scene with a fairly good representation of lgbt, and this is such a different reaction it seems strange.

Anyway, i get the impression I'll just get cast as the bad guy here, so i'll just not comment on this again.
                  Yes, please leave the thread and don't post in it again.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• And just to put a cherry on top of a truly awful sundae, Trump’s campaign just put up a Facebook ad using a symbol lifted straight from Nazi concentration camps.

I hate that I’m not even surprised to see this.

Comment

• The half-brother of Robert Fuller, the man who was "mysteriously" found hanging in a public place, was shot to death by the police.

Not counting all the “mysterious suicides,” in the 20 days since George Floyd’s death, the police have directly killed more than 120 people. That’s more than the average rate for all the gangs in America put together for the same span of time.
                      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-19-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing that, and I hate to say it but I am not surprised.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Fuck John Bolton. He had his chance to tell us these things he claims we need to know, back when we called on him to testify. That he is selling us these details now is frankly an insult.

And it’s not like a single one of these “tell-all” books has told us anything that Donald Trump himself wasn’t loudly blaring from the plethora of megaphones we’ve given him.

He’s racist? No shit - he put out a full page in the New York Times calling for five teenagers of color to be killed, and stands by it to this day.

He’s torpedoing the concept of representative democracy? We saw that before he was even elected - remember, he publicly called for Russia to sabotage his opponent.

I fully expect Betsy DeVos to either resign or be fired any week now, once she’s done profiting from dismantling education, and she’ll have “written” a book about how he’s an incompetent buffoon.

Comment

• There really are some sad people in this world who think that their nostalgia is more important than not being racist, and will act like you're trying to blow up the Bamyan Buddhas if you ever so much as acknowledge that the fantasy genre has some serious issues.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• Not feeling safe at my job now. They put in extensive efforts to comply with our state guidelines for re-opening but.....apparently did not plan for people(workers) not coming back as well as the massive demand even 15% capacity would mean for people doing returns, deliveries,etc. Precautions and processes are breaking down and many of our customers are not being nice about social distancing,etc.
                              Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 06-20-2020, 01:44 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
                                Not feeling safe at my job now. They put in extensive efforts to comply with our state guidelines for re-opening but.....apparently did not plan for people not coming back as well as the massive demand even 15% capacity would mean for people doing returns, deliveries,etc. Precautions and processes are breaking down and many of our customers are not being nice about social distancing,etc.
                                My sympathies, friend. Stay safe.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                                X