Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
    Biden's VP pick.

EDIT: Like. Even if we completely disregard Harris' 'acomplishments' as a prosecutor. In April 2019 Harris said she believes Tara Reid's accusations of sexual assault. So either she believes that Biden is a rapist and she's comfortable with that, or she's a liar.
    Or, even more likely, both.

Comment

• By all means, Mr. Trump, do pardon Edward Snowden. But don't think for a second that this will distract me from your obvious attempt to rig an election and continual flubbing of the coronavirus response.

Comment

• Hey, BBC, it's great that you're interviewing a Polish person about what's going on in Belarus right now - that's one of those situations that needs eyes and ears on it; that said, your choice to interview specifically an open Neo-Nazi is something I'm less enthusiastic about.

Comment

• I still think media reviewers and journalism in general is biased these days. Can't speak for politics journalism,but video game reviewers? Tabletop rpg reviewers? Movie reviewers? TV shown reviewers? Biased as all hell. Your are supposed to review a
          piece of media in a objective manner and not let your own beliefs interfere, that's basic.

Comment

• How are you supposed to objectively review the subjective experiences that are arts and entertainment? Is there an objective scale of plot writing quality? Of game replayability?

I'd rather people own up to their biases and be honest than try to paint things as objective to try to justify their subjective opinions into facts. That's how we get that BS E3 article about games women like that they had to take down for how utterly horrible it was.

Hell, US movie critics/reviews consistently slam animation, action, comedy, sci-fi, and fantasy genre works as "objectively" inferior to drama and period pieces under the guise of them being "objectively" more adult.... and that's been turn for practically a century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              I still think media reviewers and journalism in general is biased these days. Can't speak for politics journalism,but video game reviewers? Tabletop rpg reviewers? Movie reviewers? TV shown reviewers? Biased as all hell. Your are supposed to review a
              piece of media in a objective manner and not let your own beliefs interfere, that's basic.

If a reviewer is telling you that their reviews are entirely objective they're lying to you. I'm not sure who you think is out there without any bias whatsoever but they're not reviewing games and movies.

Also I think it was here (or at least in the off-topic section of the forum) someone pointed out that reviewers do not exist to make objective views, and the occupation is designed so that you find a reviewer with views similar to your own and generally get guided to things you like. If you want to just check out reviews in general you're going to have to deal with people who don't share the same outlook as you, and as jarring as it can be, it is not wrong of them to do so.
              Last edited by nofather; 08-19-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• I've given subject some extra thought on the last few hours,I'm starting to think it's not bias annoying me. It's more that the media does not talk about the right stuff,if you are making an article about a movie you are supposed to talk about lightening,production,staging,direction,writing acting etc... modern media just doesn't talk about these stuff. I've seen so many reviews praising a movie with such bad writing,or thrashing a TV shown with great writing. It's weird,and worse yet it starts to hurt the entertainment industry. I'm terrified writers will simply stop caring if their plots are good,after all If people these days don't even bother to review your writing,why write well at all?
                Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 08-19-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I've given subject some extra thought on the last few hours,I'm starting to think it's not bias annoying me. It's more that the media does not talk about the right stuff,if you are making an article about a movie you are supposed to talk about lightening,production,staging,direction,writing acting etc... modern media just doesn't talk about these stuff. I've seen so many reviews praising a movie with such bad writing,or thrashing a TV shown with great writing. It's weird,and worse yet it starts to hurt the entertainment industry. I'm terrified writers will simply stop caring if their plots are good,after all If people these days don't even bother to review your writing,why write well at all?
                  Things do feel to calculated. Min maxy if you will concerning things like choosing movies or game awards. Things seem decided before the products are finished.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I've given subject some extra thought on the last few hours,I'm starting to think it's not bias annoying me. It's more that the media does not talk about the right stuff,if you are making an article about a movie you are supposed to talk about lightening,production,staging,direction,writing acting etc... modern media just doesn't talk about these stuff. I've seen so many reviews praising a movie with such bad writing,or thrashing a TV shown with great writing. It's weird,and worse yet it starts to hurt the entertainment industry. I'm terrified writers will simply stop caring if their plots are good,after all If people these days don't even bother to review your writing,why write well at all?
                    Have you considered that your view of what makes for good screenwriting is different from that of the critic(s) in question, and that they do consider the writing to be good?

If you gave some more specific examples, it would be easier to empathize with your position. I’ve certainly seen plenty of film criticism that focuses on the wrong things for my taste - stuff like Cinema Sins that’s overly concerned with critiquing the plot, with a particular eye towards consistency, instead of things I would consider more important like themes and use of visual language. But that’s why I don’t go to Cinema Sins for opinions on films. What seems to be important to them is not what’s important to me, so their review isn’t going to be useful for me. To someone else who values different things in a film than I do, that kind of review might be more useful, and the sort of critical analysis I enjoy might be less useful.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I hate that Cuties is a thing and Netflix is getting away with exploitation and abuse of innocent kids. Of all the things to have a cancel mob over where is the one for this abomination.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• From what I understand it's a French movie written by a Senegalese Muslim woman, based on her own life. As a child she grew up in an extremely fundamentalist religious household. She ended up joining a child dance group that focused on twerking and such as a way to sort of escape that. However she eventually realized that this was not a good thing and that getting children to focus on the hypersexualization of their bodies is absolutely abhorrent. The moral of the movie, is that when children are raised in repressive households they go looking for outlets and often times those outlets end up being really terrible for them and also society sexualizes women and that tends to trickle down towards young girls who sexualize themselves.

Also from what I've heard, while the movie is about children being hyperseuxalized, there isn't a whole lot of that actually happening on camera. But for some reason when Netflix put it up and decided to advertise it, they tripled down the sexual imagery of the kids which goes against the entire point of the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          If you gave some more specific examples, it would be easier to empathize with your position. I’ve certainly seen plenty of film criticism that focuses on the wrong things for my taste - stuff like Cinema Sins that’s overly concerned with critiquing the plot, with a particular eye towards consistency, instead of things I would consider more important like themes and use of visual language.
                          Well, yes that, but also like YouTube personality Shaun (the one with the skull avatar) pointed out, a lot of the stuff they "criticize" is more on them not knowing shit about animals or guns or science or cars or space or history or women or other cultures, or them either straight-up not paying attention (or intentionally just ignoring details because they already wrote the line and don't want to let something like "this joke isn't accurate" get in their way).
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-21-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            Well, yes that, but also https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxgkOIsHUs"]like YouTube personality Shaun (the one with the skull avatar) pointed out[/URL], a lot of the stuff they "criticize" is more on them not knowing shit about animals or guns or science or cars or space or history or women or other cultures, or them either straight-up not paying attention (or intentionally just ignoring details because they already wrote the line and don't want to let something like "this joke isn't accurate" get in their way).
                            For sure. I was just using them as an example, I didn’t mean to call them out specifically. There’s a lot I don’t like about that channel, but most of it wasn’t directly relevant to my argument.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• The reason I am an alcoholic is not related to the nine shots of brandy I have had before this point in response to a gigantically shitty evening involving post work-stress, intense family drama, and tempestuous personal reflection after the fact.

The reason I am an alcoholic is totally related to the fact I'm more or less resolved emotionally, and I'm still having another three shots.

I also hate that I'm mentally comprehensive enough to realize that's a problem, but not emotionally comprehensive enough to care.

God the past year has been a fucking shit hell fuck of a fuck to give a fucking shit hell fuck of a fuck about. I'm so fucking tired.
                              Last edited by CTPhipps; 08-27-2020, 12:31 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• My deepest sympathies, Arcanearts. My family has long struggled with alcoholism and its killed a few including my brother, cousin, and father.

I became terrified of it and tried to be a teetotaller because of it.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                                X