X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    This isn’t very important compared to a lot of the discussions going on right now, and definitely far more self-centered, but this incident bugs me and I just... I don’t know, want to vent? To whinge about this? To get some advice on how to stop feeling this?

A couple of years ago I was inspired to make a new Kith for Changeling involving computers, in particular for a person whose friend had a computer mouse Changeling character. The Kith involved the characters being either the hardware or software for a computer in Arcadia for their Keeper, and initially the person I made it for said it was good... but then noted changes later to make it “useful”, like making it have a teleportation power through things like email, or to get glamour back from electricity, all because their Changeling games never used the Computers skill. There was a discussion with others about how these suggestions were either not in-keeping with Changeling or overpowered, and I thought that was it.

Lo and behold, when the person I made it for brings it up later I find they’ve massively overbuffed it in a game their friend was in, adding a teleportation power to the trickery for the cost of a willpower on top of its original power of being able to attach to electronics with an interface, being able to move them as if they were extensions to yourself and being able to make computers/hacking rolls reflexive, and making the kith blessing give an exceptional success when interacting with electronic technology, and not just when hacking or creating a program. It’s hard not to be offended by that level of meddling and them advertising the Kith as if that was how it always was, even when they said offence wasn’t their intent, especially since it was by that person and their friend that I made it for.

I don’t know if I’m just being defensive, justified or just holding a petty grudge but it bugs me when I stop and think about the kith. This is a thing I am pleased with having made, as is, balanced and not at all game breaking; I want to use it at some point. I don’t want to keep having something from at least a year ago popping up in my head and souring it... and I’m rambling. Sorry for derailing an ongoing topic.
    The topic is pretty much just “vent about stuff that’s bothering you,” so I wouldn’t say you’re derailing anything. Lately it has felt like this was “the politics thread,” but that’s cause people have needed to vent about politics a lot lately. Don’t feel bad for having more personal-scale stuff eating at you and needing to let that out too. I’m sorry your friend didn’t respect your original design, I can see how that would be frustrating.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 08-08-2020, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Taidragon
    replied
    This isn’t very important compared to a lot of the discussions going on right now, and definitely far more self-centered, but this incident bugs me and I just... I don’t know, want to vent? To whinge about this? To get some advice on how to stop feeling this?

A couple of years ago I was inspired to make a new Kith for Changeling involving computers, in particular for a person whose friend had a computer mouse Changeling character. The Kith involved the characters being either the hardware or software for a computer in Arcadia for their Keeper, and initially the person I made it for said it was good... but then noted changes later to make it “useful”, like making it have a teleportation power through things like email, or to get glamour back from electricity, all because their Changeling games never used the Computers skill. There was a discussion with others about how these suggestions were either not in-keeping with Changeling or overpowered, and I thought that was it.

Lo and behold, when the person I made it for brings it up later I find they’ve massively overbuffed it in a game their friend was in, adding a teleportation power to the trickery for the cost of a willpower on top of its original power of being able to attach to electronics with an interface, being able to move them as if they were extensions to yourself and being able to make computers/hacking rolls reflexive, and making the kith blessing give an exceptional success when interacting with electronic technology, and not just when hacking or creating a program. It’s hard not to be offended by that level of meddling and them advertising the Kith as if that was how it always was, even when they said offence wasn’t their intent, especially since it was by that person and their friend that I made it for.

I don’t know if I’m just being defensive, justified or just holding a petty grudge but it bugs me when I stop and think about the kith. This is a thing I am pleased with having made, as is, balanced and not at all game breaking; I want to use it at some point. I don’t want to keep having something from at least a year ago popping up in my head and souring it... and I’m rambling. Sorry for derailing an ongoing topic.
    Last edited by Taidragon; 08-08-2020, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I think people are over thinking this...

1) Biden's always been gaffe prone. I grew up in Delaware... it was something spun as part of his down to Earth didn't forget being one of the little people political image. "He's a normal guy that's not afraid to speak in the moment just because he'll make a mistake like everyone does some times, unlike all those politicians that can only talk during polished speeches and rote talking points." That was always part of how he sold himself to try to spin a negative into at least a non-issue.

2) He has, rather successfully, never paid a political price for these things. He's never lost a general election in 50 years despite all the stupid things he's said. He might have more eyes on him now than ever, but growing up with him as my Senator for so long this is all really old news for me. Why should he really even be thinking about this? He has 50 years of experience saying voters don't really care about gaffes if they're clearly silly word choice slip ups.

3) However much Biden sitting back and letting Trump be Trump seems to be good for Biden, Biden still needs to actually campaign. With more states moving towards mail-in ballots for at least this year, Biden does need to actually be out making a positive case for himself sooner rather than later at this point. If you were already of the mind that you're going to need to hold your nose to vote for Biden but you're probably going to unless something big comes out soon, this isn't going to change your mind. People that are actually excited about Biden aren't going to be dissuaded by these things. For any voters that he can get that need to be convinced... he needs to speak; and that means he's going to say stupid things in the process.

So... yeah... the idea that these things are going to swing the election seems strange to assume.

People complain about how the media covers politics in the US... but we're not exactly telling them we want them to focus on substance when Twitter has multiple orders of magnitude more posts about gaffes than policy promises.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    Due to centuries of systemic slavery and oppression, Africans in the United States were forced to give up their identities and ties to their homelands. As a result, people of African descent in the United States tend to be a more homogenous group than African immigrants in other countries where those immigrants were allowed to bring and celebrate their African heritage.

That's not to say that there isn't diversity in the black community in the United States, but it's a different sort of diversity from that of the Latinx community in which the diversity tends to be based on what part of South or Central America they or their ancestors came from (this is true of other immigrant groups such as people from various parts of Asia or the Middle East who, unlike African slaves, voluntarily came to the US).

That's not a slam on people of African descent in the United States, it's just recognition that 4 centuries of oppression designed to stomp out diversity within a group will have a profound effect on the diversity within that group.
    If he'd said all that, or even any of that, I wouldn't have posted my comment on it here.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Goddamnit, Joe Biden, why can you not just keep your mouth closed?!?

I swear it’s almost like he wants to maximize voter apathy.

(For those not in the know, he just said that “unlike the African-American community,” there’s incredible diversity in Latinx communities.)
    I don't know the exact context but he's not entirely wrong, sorta.

Due to centuries of systemic slavery and oppression, Africans in the United States were forced to give up their identities and ties to their homelands. As a result, people of African descent in the United States tend to be a more homogenous group than African immigrants in other countries where those immigrants were allowed to bring and celebrate their African heritage.

That's not to say that there isn't diversity in the black community in the United States, but it's a different sort of diversity from that of the Latinx community in which the diversity tends to be based on what part of South or Central America they or their ancestors came from (this is true of other immigrant groups such as people from various parts of Asia or the Middle East who, unlike African slaves, voluntarily came to the US).

That's not a slam on people of African descent in the United States, it's just recognition that 4 centuries of oppression designed to stomp out diversity within a group will have a profound effect on the diversity within that group.

But like I said, I don't know if that's what he was thinking about, or if he was even thinking at all when he said that. It's the kind of off-hand remark that speaks to a profound truth about the history of black Americans, and it's the sort of thing that people should discuss and look at, but I have a feeling he'll run from the remark as fast as he can.
    Last edited by AnubisXy; 08-07-2020, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    I’d much rather fight Gaffy than Donald.
    Oh, for sure. I'm just less than pleased by all his self-sabotage.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    With his "Listen, fat," "You ain't black," and "Poor kids are just as talented as white kids" gaffes, he's well past "hard mode."
    Nightmare mode, perhaps?

I suspect many of the people who've committed to voting for him this November are doing so only grudgingly, because the alternative is a move into open fascism. -_-
    In this election, as in every US election, us leftists are choosing the candidate we want to have to fight for the next 4 years. And I’d much rather fight Gaffy than Donald.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    He thinks he’ll get bonus points if he wins the election on hard mode.
    With his "Listen, fat," "You ain't black," and "Poor kids are just as talented as white kids" gaffes, he's well past "hard mode." I suspect many of the people who've committed to voting for him this November are doing so only grudgingly, because the alternative is a move into open fascism. -_-

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied

He thinks he’ll get bonus points if he wins the election on hard mode.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Guys, dial it down. No accusing other posters of setting on places on fire or implying it was fine.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    So that's makes it all ok? PrOPeRtY oVeR LiVeS

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight View Post
    Someone thought it was a good idea to barricade the police in the precinct and then set it on fire.......
    Check your sources on that one.

1) It's a brick building.

​2) The doors where the fire occurred are glass.

3) The fire was in a trash can.

4) The building has sprinkler systems, a feature that's fairly common to police stations.

​5) The doors where the fire occurred are not the only entrance/exit.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    Someone thought it was a good idea to barricade the police in the precinct and then set it on fire.......

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    Why would he say that?
    It was pretty much a non-sequitur - he was being asked about refugees. There was no reason for him to bring up the diversity of black people.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied

(For those not in the know, he just said that “unlike the African-American community,” there’s incredible diversity in Latinx communities.)
    Why would he say that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X