No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my first vaccine shot yesterday and now I can't turn my head due to the stiffness of my neck

Comment

• The current state of affairs.

He/him

Comment

• The annual reading of Holocaust victims' names in Prague on Yom Hashoah on 8 April, organized by the Terezin Iniative Institute, will no longer include the names of Romani victims.

​EDIT: Apparently this was allegedly done at the request of some of the descendants of said Holocaust victims, I guess? I don’t even know anymore.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-02-2021, 10:28 PM.

He/him

Comment

• That Americans are increasingly forced to rely on massive multinational corporations to protect their voting rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            That Americans are increasingly forced to rely on massive multinational corporations to protect their voting rights.
            Would you mind explaining that? I want aware. That's really sad
            edit: wasn't
            Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 04-06-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• As the Republican party has continued to see its voter base shrink in proportion to the total vote because they keep opposing things that are popular across political ideology, they are leveraging their already outsized political power to push laws in as many states as they can that will make it harder for people to vote in the hopes it will give them an edge to maintain power.

Since they don't actually care what the public wants (or even in many cases what the majority of their own voters say they want), there has been a large pressure campaign to get large corporations (aka where politicians derive a lot of their money in both legitimate and corrupt ways) to take a stand against these laws. While far from perfect in their responses, a few have started to do so and do so with stronger statements and threats of where they want to do their business than before. Once that started, suddenly what seemed like a giant wave of anti-voting laws has slowed significantly.

So, basically, the Republicans might be able to ignore what the majority of people want, but major corporations need those people as customers. Unsurprisingly the big corporations are trying to keep as many customers as possible. And when forced to choose between what's probably ~60% of their customers who care enough to boycott/switch brands, or 20% who care enough to do the same in the other direction... they picked the bigger pile.

And with GOP politicians looking at the corporate money spigot getting turned off, they're at least rethinking if trying to ram all these laws through ASAP was the best idea.

Of course, this all comes with it's own downsides, as it's empowering the conservative/moderate Democrats that are resisting filibuster reform to continue to do so instead of having their feet held to the fire where they would need to cave and let the Senate work on major bills like the voting rights bills already passed in the House so that these things can start to get fixed instead of US voting rights continuing to be up to the whims of politics.

Comment

• Thanks heavy

Comment

• When someone who was a champion of the #metoo movement turns out to be guilty of the same abuses they rallied against.

Comment

• Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post
                    When someone who was a champion of the #metoo movement turns out to be guilty of the same abuses they rallied against.
                    Please tell me it's not geoff John's. I love his comics

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                      Please tell me it's not geoff John's. I love his comics
                      Nope, not them. I don't really keep up with comic book people, so if he has I don't know
                      Last edited by BurritoMage; 04-06-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Oh thanks frigging god

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                          And with GOP politicians looking at the corporate money spigot getting turned off, they're at least rethinking if trying to ram all these laws through ASAP was the best idea.
                          Republicans have traditionally been the party of big business and low corporate taxes. Democrats have made no bones about raising taxes. So it's interesting to see businesses making the calculation that they'll lose more money by being viewed on the "wrong side of history" than they will by going along with Republicans in order to try and keep corporate taxes low. Heck, look at Delta which might lose it's low gas tax in Georgia because they talked out against the bill. And despite Georgia politicians implying that they'll get to keep that tax break if they go back on what they said, so far Delta has refused to do so.

Of course, at the end of the day it's all about money, and it's just that Delta and other corporations have come to the conclusion they'll make more money by taking a certain political stance than they would by ignoring it. And being "pro-voting rights" is a pretty easy stance to take since at least on the surface, everyone should be in favor of protecting the voting abilities of American citizens.

Really though it shows a shift in economic power, that for many businesses, appealing to (or at least trying to appear like they're appealing to) minorities and progressives is the better choice, economically, than trying to appeal to conservatives. And that shows that more and more, economic power among minorities and progressives is eclipsing conservative economic power.

Comment

• Kamala Harris recently said that the White House is “too busy” to follow through on their promise to start fixing the country’s fucked-up marijuana policies…

…but not too busy, it seems, to continue work on the previous President’s border wall.

He/him

Comment

• OK, I do get venting about politics and all. Feeling negatively about the White House's prioritization of things they say they acknowledge are wrong is completely justified.

But can we get a bit of recognition that's not a bad thing that the new president and his administration are trying to cut back on the unitary executive model of running our government that empowered Trump so much? The Executive Branch is supposed to enact the laws the Legislative Branch passes, not ignore those laws because they're bad.

Fixing our marijuana policies requires... fixing the Controlled Substances Act. Which requires the Legislature to actually get involved, not just the White House snapping its fingers. There's still plenty the administration could be doing to staunch the harm the CSA (that acronym always feels appropriate) does, but realistically the only way to fix instead of mitigate is to get the Democratic caucus in the Senate to figure out a form of filibuster reform they'd all vote for, so they can start passing the laws needed.

I think we can aim a lot more of our bile at Joe Manchin for leading the, "we need to be dumb-bipartisans by getting GOP Senator votes instead of doing what GOP voters actually want" group, since that's doing more to slow down progress than anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                                But can we get a bit of recognition that's not a bad thing that the new president and his administration are trying to cut back on the unitary executive model of running our government that empowered Trump so much?
                                I'm not convinced they've done enough in that department either.

He/him

Comment

Working...
                                X