No announcement yet.

You Know What I Hate MK I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Barr, a 26-year-old anti-police advocate, was given a lethal dose of ketamine after being detained by police.

‚Äč(As has been mentioned before by me, that they can even do this is horrifying and disturbing.)

He/him

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      A megacorporation trying to copyright a deity worshipped hundreds of years before the company existed.
      While I agree with anger at Disney's outreach, I feel compelled to mention that we have no historical evidence of Loki actually being worshiped, rather than being a mythological character who only appears in stories. One of the theories is that Loki didn't exist in the Norse mythos at all, and is a product of Christian scholars' attempts to syncretize Norse mythology with Christian mythology by means of porting Lucifer. But ultimately we have too little information to give any definitive answer on the nature, existence, and existence of the cult of Loki.

Comment

• Here's Snopes on it.

Disney just copyrighted their version of Loki and Thor. Anyone else can do whatever they want with Loki or Thor as those individuals are in the public domain. But, if someone creates a picture or makes a character who is designed to look similarly to Disney's Loki or Thor then Disney can sue them for copyright violation.

It's the same way that you couldn't copyright Jesus Christ, but you could copyright Buddy Christ who appeared in the movie Dogma, and if someone else made a picture of your Buddy Jesus giving a thumbs up or whatever and slapped it on a shirt, you could sue them for copyright infringement. But that wouldn't extend to any other version of Jesus Christ and you wouldn't have any claim over any other form of depiction.

Generally copyright laws are often bullshit, but the core idea of taking character from the public domain, and then recreating that character in a certain way that is different from the typical version of that character, it seems reasonable to me that the creator should be able to have some sort of control and ownership over that very limited and unique version of the character in question.

Comment

• yer absolutely right it's mostly bullshit, but it's standard procedure for a megacorp which we can't pretend doesn't describe Disney.

Comment

• The problem isn't that Disney gets to protect their given version of Thor/Loki/etc. it's that they're a megacorporation that, even by those standards, is ridiculously litigious; esp. with small time artists that pose no threat to Disney. One of the reasons US copyright law is as shitty as it is, is because Disney goes after tiny operations that can't afford to win legal battles that by all rights they should win, and thus Disney continues to grow the power of corporate IP claims way beyond the intent of allowing people that create art to guarantee a livelihood for themselves.

Disney not suing The Asylum or the South Park creators is just a sign of how offensively bad faith their approach is: the second someone has actual money and could stand up to them, nothing happens. Anyone that can actually endure the initial upfront expenses doesn't get sued because Disney knows it would lose, have to pay all the legal fees, and damages for lost profits. Anyone that can't has to bend over for The House of Mouse. It's the epitome of SLAPP.

Comment

• Also, as I'm kinda surprised it hasn't really seen much chatter here despite being huge elsewhere:

The whole mess with TSR_ is just... horrible.

Comment

• I thought TSR/WOTC/Hasboro's insanity was it's own thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  The problem isn't that Disney gets to protect their given version of Thor/Loki/etc. it's that they're a megacorporation that, even by those standards, is ridiculously litigious; esp. with small time artists that pose no threat to Disney. One of the reasons US copyright law is as shitty as it is, is because Disney goes after tiny operations that can't afford to win legal battles that by all rights they should win, and thus Disney continues to grow the power of corporate IP claims way beyond the intent of allowing people that create art to guarantee a livelihood for themselves.
                  Back in my Freshman/Sophomore year of college they went after a local bar named Mickey's Mousetrap and that got national attention for a hot 5 minutes until the owner agreed to change the name. This was around '89 or '90.

Also, not really a fan of what Ernie is pulling with "TSR". It sounds like fantasy roleplaying for neckbeards who were afraid of anyone different from them.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                  Posts in this color are moderator posts
                  Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                  Forum Terms of Use
                  the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                    I thought TSR/WOTC/Hasboro's insanity was it's own thread?
                    I haven't seen a specific thread on this, but it isn't WotC/D&D.

Ernie Gygax, one of Gary Gygax's sons (technically E.G.G. Jr.), managed to snag the TSR trademark and IPs very few people care about after the current/former TSR that WotC gave the TSR name back to missed a filing deadline on the name.

After that, Ernie, TSR_games (as opposed to TSRgames on Twitter, which is the one that lost the trademark), Giantlands (an RPG the new TSR_games is involved with), and assorted associated figures (a lot of the old TSR people that Ernie grew up with) have been engaging in a dumpster fire social media storm. I'm not sure if the mods want me to link to some of these things since inter-forum drama could arise, but RPG.net and ENWorld both have long threads on this already.

Comment

The problem isn't that Disney gets to protect their given version of Thor/Loki/etc. it's that they're a megacorporation that, even by those standards, is ridiculously litigious; esp. with small time artists that pose no threat to Disney. One of the reasons US copyright law is as shitty as it is, is because Disney goes after tiny operations that can't afford to win legal battles that by all rights they should win, and thus Disney continues to grow the power of corporate IP claims way beyond the intent of allowing people that create art to guarantee a livelihood for themselves.

Disney not suing The Asylum or the South Park creators is just a sign of how offensively bad faith their approach is: the second someone has actual money and could stand up to them, nothing happens. Anyone that can actually endure the initial upfront expenses doesn't get sued because Disney knows it would lose, have to pay all the legal fees, and damages for lost profits. Anyone that can't has to bend over for The House of Mouse. It's the epitome of SLAPP.
                      Disney is also notably refusing to enforce its copyright in places where it could actually do some good.

For example, I've yet to see a single cease-and-desist posted with regard to police covering their cars in Punisher skulls; instead they go after daycare facilities that have Spider-Man painted on one of the walls or whatever.

He/him

Comment

Ernie, TSR_games (as opposed to TSRgames on Twitter, which is the one that lost the trademark), Giantlands (an RPG the new TSR_games is involved with), and assorted associated figures (a lot of the old TSR people that Ernie grew up with) have been engaging in a dumpster fire social media storm. .
                        Apparently people found out that Ernie was following neo-Nazis on Twitter so all of the hobby drama and racist, transphobic bullshit spewing out of his mouth aside, that alone is enough to show what kind of a person he is.

Comment

• It's not good, but a bit less bad. He's following Varg Vikernes's personal account, and the official account for Varg's game MYFAROG; not some random or broader Neo-Nazi stuff.

Varg is a Neo-Nazi, and a convicted murderer and arsonist, but if you only pay attention to the OSR movement/whatever and you'd far too entitled to see the racism and bigotry in MYFAROG, Varg looks like a RPG designer that makes games like Ernie remembers his dad made and is getting "mobbed" but the "woke" crowd. The same way lots of people got suckered into defending Zak S.

If Ernie starts to do a lot better on the apology front (so far the effort has been... not good), I could believe he's just a 60 year old out of touch white guy following games without paying attention to the politics of who makes them (just like he ignores his fathers own disgusting politics and how those seeped into D&D). But yeah, following Varg isn't a good look.

But that's sort of the problem with the whole situation. Ernie's values and priorities are (based on his own statements really) rooted in being 45 years out of date. He's still stuck thinking of himself as the bullied little nerd that found escape in gaming, and sees his father as an infallible source of solace in a rough part of his life (and the industries respect for his father meant a massive crowdfunding campaign that helped Ernie after his home was destroyed in a fire). He's completely unwilling to deal with the colonialist racism and sexism his father fully supported being part of D&D, or that 60 year old OG members of the industry aren't the ones denied social power in the world (esp. not white men). He has displayed no self-awareness that he's all the way up to being the principal that lets the "jocks" bully the "nerds" without repercussions, as he fails to recognize who has the social power to torment others in the present day.

Comment

• Bill Cosby was just released from prison because a judge ruled that the DA couldn't renege on the verbal promise the prior DA made to Cosby that his court testimony would be sealed.

Comment

• To be more thorough:

The PA Supreme Court ruled, 4 to 3, to dismiss the case with prejudice (so Cosby can't be charged again without any potentially improper evidence). This is after the same appeal failed at lower appellate courts, and the trial judge found the claim that Cosby believed he had an agreement from on DA (of which there is no evidence of any formal agreement) that granted him criminal immunity to get him to testify in a civil case) was not sufficiently proven to make the evidence inadmissible.

So four justice overturned dozens of other judges, and against the opinion of three other justices, and set an absolutely horrible precedent given that lack of proof of any deal being made. A lack of prosecution was ruled to be the equivalent of a formally signed contractual immunity agreement. If one DA doesn't prosecute you and is willing to say later they did so with a verbal agreement with no external witnesses, a new DA can't charge you now. Or at least that's apparently how the law works in my state.

So not only did a rapist get off on a technicality that was repeatedly and heavily litigated already and found not sufficient to overturn the verdict, but a whole new avenue for political corruption was opened up in the process.

Comment

• I told my family to cover their mouth when coughing but they refused to listen so we have been sick for a whole month, guess I just gonna die now.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Working...
                                X