X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Accelerator
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
    Check for Depression and/or Burnout. Do not Mental health is serious business.
    OOf.

Reminds me. Just went to the therapist.

I now have anti-depression meds.

Comment

• monteparnas
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      I now have anti-depression meds.
      It takes some time to adjust to those, and you may have to change meds a few times before settling to the best one.

But I can say confidently that it is worth it. Medicine alone won't solve your life's problems, but they will help with the many things that cause depression to sabotage you.

Also, meds won't make you feel good, but will help you find comfort on other things again.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
      #AutismPride
      She/her pronouns

Comment

• Second Chances
        • Dec 2014

Check for Depression and/or Burnout. Do not dismiss Mental health, it is serious business.
        Oh, it is 100% burnout. I've been talking about it at the dayjob for the last three years, then COVID hit, then I had a child XD. I'm hanging in there, I'm just so... damned... tired.

Chris H | Patreon| He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
          Oh, it is 100% burnout. I've been talking about it at the dayjob for the last three years, then COVID hit, then I had a child XD. I'm hanging in there, I'm just so... damned... tired.
          I have a condition that poses a constant risk for episodes of depression. The medication I take on a constant basis has antidepressant properties. While you are considering antidepressants as a solution, I would, based on actual experience, highly recommend vitamins. Since I started a vitamin regime, I have had much less depressive symptoms.

Last February, I had to be prescribed an antidepressant on a short term basis. It did what it was supposed to do, but did I ever want to get off that ride. I had tremors, racing thoughts like I had never experienced (like a hurricane inside my brain), irritability and other such things that I could not deal with. I was told to cut it and happily did so. You have to wait for it to build up in your system to the level where it's doing something beneficial, dealing with the initial side effects while you wait, and if it's the wrong one for you, there are withdrawal symptoms after you cut it.

I have the benefit of living in Canada and did not have to pay for the four or so telephone appointments with a psychiatrist who my Doctor referred me to. You need to be followed at least by a Doctor while you are trying antidepressants. If there's no cost, that's no problem and the sooner you call, the sooner the options will be presented. While all of that is going on, there is virtually no downside to taking vitamins to replenish your system.

To what degree can you rely on family while raising a child?

Thank you for passing time with me in conversation. My Hacks.

Comment

• Second Chances
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by HorizonParty2021 View Post

I have a condition that poses a constant risk for episodes of depression. The medication I take on a constant basis has antidepressant properties. While you are considering antidepressants as a solution, I would, based on actual experience, highly recommend vitamins. Since I started a vitamin regime, I have had much less depressive symptoms.

Last February, I had to be prescribed an antidepressant on a short term basis. It did what it was supposed to do, but did I ever want to get off that ride. I had tremors, racing thoughts like I had never experienced (like a hurricane inside my brain), irritability and other such things that I could not deal with. I was told to cut it and happily did so. You have to wait for it to build up in your system to the level where it's doing something beneficial, dealing with the initial side effects while you wait, and if it's the wrong one for you, there are withdrawal symptoms after you cut it.

I have the benefit of living in Canada and did not have to pay for the four or so telephone appointments with a psychiatrist who my Doctor referred me to. You need to be followed at least by a Doctor while you are trying antidepressants. If there's no cost, that's no problem and the sooner you call, the sooner the options will be presented. While all of that is going on, there is virtually no downside to taking vitamins to replenish your system.

To what degree can you rely on family while raising a child?
            Appreciate the sentiment, but these are things I am 100% not okay discussing online.
            (Also, I too live in Canada)

Chris H | Patreon| He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
              • Oct 2020

I was visiting someone the other day at their place. We were there for a whole evening. In conversation, I talked about some personal things in what I thought was a private setting. One of our hosts stood up, walked to the other side of the room and said, "Alexa, tell me (some trivial information that could be obtained by a google search).". I had spent the entire evening speaking with the presumption of privacy while my voice was being recorded and stored by a corporation I despise.

I have reached the conclusion that, no mater what I do, hostile, untrustworthy corporations and even foreign governments are going to gather information about me, regardless of what precautions I take, because a majority of the population has collectively voted to surrender privacy on behalf of everyone.

It's in this context that I consider the risk of sharing some personal details with people I "meet" online. For me, there is no point in being maximally cautious and forgoing the opportunity to connect with others when I am already assured of having my information collected by a hostile billionaire class who do not have our best interests at heart.

I believe that meaningful human connection is going to be necessary to survive events to come.

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
                • Oct 2020

I hate the FDA for authorizing food companies to use Aluminum as an anti-caking agent. A couple of years ago, I was enjoying a can of Tim Hortons hot chocolate. I decided to read the ingredients and then was like, what the fuck? I don't feel like explaining why Aluminum shouldn't go in the human body or bloodstream or what it does to our brains and bones. If someone wants to extol the benefits of consuming aluminum, an inorganic (poison) chemical, in defense of corporate cost-cutting, fine. Going to the grocery store didn't used to be like repeating physical science class.

Comment

• monteparnas
                  • Apr 2015

While all of that is going on, there is virtually no downside to taking vitamins to replenish your system.
                  There's a caveat, though.

I'd hardly recommend vitamin supplements without seeing a doctor, because some vitamins do have toxic effects in high doses. Also it is important to chose your supplement based on your personal condition.

Aside some very specific researches on possible effects for high doses of specific vitamins, there are no beneficial effects on taking higher-than-need doses of vitamins. But there are vitamin deficiencies that affect depression, indeed, and too many ways for your body to not take enough of them, but this is better to be confirmed with a dedicated blood test. And those researches generally had been touted a lot without actually having any confirmation yet, or with very unsatisfactory actual results.

On the matter of Aluminium, I have no much to say. While I don't believe the current data is enough for alarm, it certainly isn't enough for guaranteeing safety, either. I'm not sure if it is permitted here on Brazil, though, I would have to look into it.

EDIT: Looked into it, we had a temporary authorization due to MERCOSUR common rules, but on 22nd May 2019 it was unanimously revoked by ANVISA.

All aluminium-based food additives are banned on Brazil.
                  Last edited by monteparnas; 12-02-2021, 08:15 PM.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                  #AutismPride
                  She/her pronouns

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
                    • Oct 2020

There's a caveat, though.

I'd hardly recommend vitamin supplements without seeing a doctor, because some vitamins do have toxic effects in high doses. Also it is important to chose your supplement based on your personal condition.
                    There are three measures of safety that I consider reasonable.
                    1. Ask the pharmacist after having them load your profile.
                    2. Read the recommended dosage listed on the bottle.
                    3. For Omega, make sure it comes from a reputable source as there can be risk of oceanic mercury or bacteria from fish raised in poor conditions.

The thing about talking to your Doctor first is that not everyone has access to a Doctor. I have one. He knows I am taking a whole bunch of vitamins and encourages me to carry on. My girlfriend can't get to see a Doctor. She has a psychiatrist who can prescribe antidepressants and other such artificial chemical interventions, but no Doctor to check for risk of diabetes or age related conditions. We go with vitamins and, without going into detail, it has made a seriously positive difference for her. I don't think I could properly convey how I feel sometimes about her no-Doc status.

Aside some very specific researches on possible effects for high doses of specific vitamins, there are no beneficial effects on taking higher-than-need doses of vitamins. But there are vitamin deficiencies that affect depression, indeed, and too many ways for your body to not take enough of them, but this is better to be confirmed with a dedicated blood test. And those researches generally had been touted a lot without actually having any confirmation yet, or with very unsatisfactory actual results.
                    Sure, if you have access to blood-testing for vitamin levels and can afford it. A sex-specific multivitamin isn't going to cause you any harm, though, even if you don't know your levels. It's a good measure against a lot of potential health risks. If someone is in burnout and still has the immediate responsibility of taking care of a kid, starting to fortify her system Right Away is a super-good idea. My sister was in the same situation (two kids, work + university). Her Doctor wrote a letter so she could stay home for a week while starting an antidepressant. When we talked, I explained the benefits of vitamins. She takes them now, too.

On the matter of Aluminium, I have no much to say. While I don't believe the current data is enough for alarm, it certainly isn't enough for guaranteeing safety, either. I'm not sure if it is permitted here on Brazil, though, I would have to look into it.

EDIT: Looked into it, we had a temporary authorization due to MERCOSUR common rules, but on 22nd May 2019 it was unanimously revoked by ANVISA.

All aluminium-based food additives are banned on Brazil.
                    Then, enjoy cake and hot chocolate.. if you like those things.

Comment

• monteparnas
                      • Apr 2015

My girlfriend can't get to see a Doctor. She has a psychiatrist who can prescribe antidepressants and other such artificial chemical interventions, but no Doctor to check for risk of diabetes or age related conditions.
                      How's that?

I mean, I don't know details on Canada, here we have free public health care. It isn't the best service, it's always good to have access to private services, but it isn't that bad, either. I would totally understand it being hard to get custom vitamin prescription, but not having access to doctors? That puzzles me.

But you're surely right, with the listed 3 rules it isn't overly risky.

On a side note, I generally consider that ANVISA makes a better job than the American FDA (I don't know about Canada) on safe regulation. There are problems, sure, but nothing overly problematic. During this pandemic they basically saved us a couple times holding against Bolsonaro's search for a fake miracle.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                      #AutismPride
                      She/her pronouns

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
                        • Oct 2020

How's that?

I mean, I don't know details on Canada, here we have free public health care. It isn't the best service, it's always good to have access to private services, but it isn't that bad, either. I would totally understand it being hard to get custom vitamin prescription, but not having access to doctors? That puzzles me.
                        We subsidize medical colleges with public money so that we will have enough Doctors. The ungrateful graduates take off to the United States to earn more money. Complete traitors. There is a massive shortage of Doctors here.

But you're surely right, with the listed 3 rules it isn't overly risky.

On a side note, I generally consider that ANVISA makes a better job than the American FDA (I don't know about Canada) on safe regulation. There are problems, sure, but nothing overly problematic. During this pandemic they basically saved us a couple times holding against Bolsonaro's search for a fake miracle.
                        Canada relies on the FDA. I could see Bolsonaro standing on stage next to some preacher selling Jesus Water. ANVISA sounds good, much better than FDA.

Comment

• monteparnas
                          • Apr 2015

Canada relies on the FDA. I could see Bolsonaro standing on stage next to some preacher selling Jesus Water. ANVISA sounds good, much better than FDA.
                          Relying on a foreign agency doesn't seem right, especially that agency. And yes, Bolsonaro totally would do that if he could get away with it. He gets as close as possible, but since he can't actually do that, he settles for searching fishy research and touting any vague promise as the definitive answer.

Thanks to that we already had a number of extremely serious scandals here, including what the WHO defined as the Ethics scandal of the century in a research. He couldn't co-opt ANVISA, but he could do that to the Health Ministry with lethal consequences.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                          #AutismPride
                          She/her pronouns

Comment

• HorizonParty2021
                            • Oct 2020

It isn't that we don't have our own agency. It's that our trade relationship with the United States is so important that we rarely challenge the FDA's rulings or prevent US goods coming into our market. This is the link to Health Canada if you are really curious: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...od-safety.html

Brazilians are badly misrepresented by this Throwback President (unfortunately, the title requires capitol letters while he holds it) and I hope you succeed in replacing him soon.

Comment

• monteparnas
                              • Apr 2015

Well, to be honest we are the US of the MERCOSUR, so it isn't like we don't have the weight to impose our own rules on our corner of the world, for good or ill. But either way the legal and administrative basis of ANVISA are very different from the FDA. As a rule of thumb ANVISA gets involved less frequently, but when it does, expect strict regulations.

I found it curious to watch the US confusion with hand sanitizers with the pandemic. The American public received a lot of instructions for observing the composition of the product, as it have to be alcohol-based, of the right kind, and between 60 to 80% alcohol.

A lot of products in the US don't fall into those guidelines because they're based on diverse compositions, so that was a serious thing there. Here we didn't had to worry too much about it: the product must be 70% alcohol of the right kind to be even allowed to be called a hand sanitizer, and the few cases of factories found to be using other formulas were closed, the produce apprehended for destruction and the owners faced criminal charges for endangering public health.

Of course, this only happened because Bolsonaro don't own the law as much as he wants. And we have the added benefit of producing Ethyl Alcohol locally in large quantities, which makes for safer hand sanitizer as it is far less toxic upon accidental ingestion than Isopropyl Alcohol.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                              #AutismPride
                              She/her pronouns

Comment

• AnubisXy
                                • Nov 2013

Was informed today by HR that I had a complaint filed against me. Apparently when I wrote a message to employees asking them to do something I put a period at the end of the sentence and that was viewed as a micro-aggression. I was told to refrain from using unnecessary punctuation in work related notes to avoid upsetting employees. I told them that was ludicrous, and how the heck are people supposed to understand what I'm telling them if I can't use basic punctuation? But I was just told to do my best and that the complaint has been officially logged and the warning was given out, and that repeating this offense could see me being written up.

Is this some sort of new thing where punctuation is considered problematic?

Comment

Working...