X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cerealkiller
    started a topic You Know What I Hate MK I

You Know What I Hate MK I

Heartburn. I love chili but this is an evil and HELL I wish upon no one.

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I sometimes get the impression that my lot in life is to be the greek chorus to otherwise perpetually recursive life cycles. Way too many people in my life just seem to go "Oh man, this thing I went through was fuckign terrible, I never want to do it again, well, if you'll excuse me, I just found a whole new way to start this same exact thing."

Like "This is the exception" shouldn't be the ringing of a death knell.

Leave a comment:

• Ragged Robin
    replied
    Andrew tate. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire .

His brother is also an arse.
    Last edited by Ragged Robin; 11-12-2022, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
    So my brother just told me he’s been experiencing memory loss. Like, suddenly not sure why he’s in the car or where he is driving to type memory loss. Apparently, this has been going on a while, but he really hasn’t told anyone in the family, and really downplayed it when people did notice. He’s going to eventually see a neurologist, but right now we don’t really know what’s the cause. We’re worried it might be early onset dementia, but it could be lot of other things. I hate this. I really don’t know what to do, or even if I can do anything.

Bad luck with your brother possible having early dementia TempleBuilder. As someone who also has a family member that is in advanced stage of Vascular Dementia that it will be very hard to handle as it gets worse as there judgement is compromised and react more and more with emotion and thus unpredictable. There are drugs that help slow the disease and groups that can help you and your family with what to expect if it's indeed dementia.

But it's a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Leave a comment:

• TempleBuilder
    replied
    So my brother just told me he’s been experiencing memory loss. Like, suddenly not sure why he’s in the car or where he is driving to type memory loss. Apparently, this has been going on a while, but he really hasn’t told anyone in the family, and really downplayed it when people did notice. He’s going to eventually see a neurologist, but right now we don’t really know what’s the cause. We’re worried it might be early onset dementia, but it could be lot of other things. I hate this. I really don’t know what to do, or even if I can do anything.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    While there's some issues with some of the historical details, everything I've heard about the new Predator movie (named "Prey" of course) is really good.(IIRC it's in the low 90s on Rotten Tomatoes, so clearly it's not trash like the AvP movies).

Of course, yeah, getting cranky about this stuff as you get older happens.. it's been happening for as long as people have been writing down complaints about young pop culture trend and the youth (which turns out shows up in ancient records all the time). It's really hard to cultivate your brain so it doesn't get too locked on the stuff you liked when you're a teenager because we're wired biologically to associate quality in entertainment with what we're exposed to during those years. My maternal grandfather and my father both put a lot of energy into my childhood exposing me to lots and lots of different types of entertainment, so I'd have a better appreciation of things, but I still have biases that hit me.

It's just important to remember that the people making this stuff are... our age and probably one some drugs, just like the people that made all the stuff we loved when we were younger wee our parent's age and also on drugs, while our parents were complaining that Hollywood was stale and boring and copying older better stuff. Because (while Hollywood is a more recent part of the equation) that's what always happens.

And lets face it, pop culture is designed to smash creativity into the dirt in favor of tried and true formulas (we can mathematically predict popular songs based on certain aspects that aren't readily apparent to human ears, but are present in everything that's consider the cream of the crop no matter how different we think it all sounds). Writers can write great scripts that get chewed up by production notes, and conflicts between writers and directors on how to interpret things. There are also directors that can take a garbage script and turn it into a decent film. What we do as RPers and posting stuff here doesn't have to go through a committee of people to get to the public, and isn't constrained by budgets, time, and so on. Of course it sounds great, but there's a reason very few of us are professional creatives in whatever medium.

It all sucks, because our brains are something that (1) companies can easily manipulate so we accept their mass produced stuff instead of actually pushing for quality over quantity and (2) it's a hell of a lot of emotional and mental work to fight our natural programming and give new stuff the shot it probably deserves and find out it's actually a lot better (o at least just as fun as the classics we compare it to) than our brains are telling us to acknowledge. It would be a much better world if our brains would make us more open to new ideas as we age instead of less.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    Maybe I'm just becoming a cranky middle aged Gen-Xer who is waxing nostalgic about stuff that I used to love Heavy Arms. But when I see really bad storytelling with huge plot holes that can't be ignored or insults our intelligence and I see some of the creative stuff I see posted on the other boards. I wonder what has happened to good writing. I bet many of us here could come up with better story ideas and execute them better while high on drugs.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    The Predator franchise just had a release this year... so it is unrealistic at least. Honestly, I'm not sure the Predator series has, in general, worn out its fans as much as the others have (AVP aside anyway). As people generally move on from the pandemic, Disney seems ready to get their big movies moving again after focusing on streaming TV for a bit to make production easier on themselves. The positive reception to their TV shows is probably a big sign that they want big movies again too.

In general though, if you feel a franchise you otherwise like/love is overdone, it's natural to respond to the idea of more entries negatively.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    Is it wrong to hope we don't see another Alien, Predator, Terminator or Star Wars movie for along time?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Welp, I got a friend facing eviction. If you can help out, it'd be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I hate online "tabletop" RPGs

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    My sister teachers in a religious school that's prestigious enough to pull in secular professors with PhDs from big name universities with better pay/benefits.

That is, however, an extreme outlier. Reverting everything to religious schools is just going to leave us with dozens of millions of kids without any education because teachers don't want to work for private schools as the vast majority of them are virulently anti-union and thus are even worse jobs than public schools. We should have more like 5 million teachers in this country, with attendent support professionals. Killing public schools is just going to reduce that number to ~1.5 to 2 million. It's just not enough to ensure most US kids have a basic education even with parents willing to send their kids to conversion school.

Leave a comment:

• Darksol-aeternium
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    On a separate note:

I know, very first hand, how much this is fueled by people that want to kill public schools in the US, and make everything private schools paid by the government but somehow immune to government oversight. But those people don't realize that the teaching profession doesn't want that, or work for them. There's only ~3.5 million K-12 public school teachers in the country as it is, and that's barebones. We are in for generations of damage to ever part of our society if that keeps going down. We're in for hurt across society here just from all the experienced teachers leaving the profession before they can help new teachers learn the ropes. Teaching is not a job you can just figure out on your own in a few weeks.
    This ploy by those hoping to kill public schools may also include those who ant to revert all such schooling to the hand of the mainstream religious cults like it used to be. This way they can finally lock all new citizens into being nothing but more of their flock by controlling information (censoring/banning/etc). Either way, it'll all backfire since the world is NOT going to suddenly become the backwards, primitive scenario such people are comfortable with and all the technology isn't going to suddenly disappear. What this will all result in is a larger unemployable population that won't be taken care of by any safety nets and contributing to the homeless and/or criminal populations until the whole country becomes an even more obvious cesspit. One they can't pray their way out of.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Spoilered for grossness
    The way you put it, I thought it would be far worse. That's not so gross to read.

It's also hard to tell if the symptom was due Paxlovid or Covid-19, as it also does that.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    I hated those multiple foil embossed covers back in the day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X