X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cerealkiller
    started a topic You Know What I Hate MK I

You Know What I Hate MK I

Heartburn. I love chili but this is an evil and HELL I wish upon no one.

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    It's mostly that by episode 3, the worst of the problems with the start are off-screen. You're right about how things line about in terms of approximate number of episodes to the novels. It's less that episodes 3 and 4 are super redeeming, but they're not as bad as the first two, and plot starts enough that you'd want to actually see what happens instead of just going off recaps.

I mean, the entire problem with the way the writing is handled, is that you get information via the main character learning it. So much that happens requires context to get, but you see it all from the perspective of the guy with zero context. One on hand it helps establish the main character's mindset well, but on the other hand, his mindset wasn't one that needed that much explaining, and more context about what was going on would make some of the early weirdness feel less crappy to experience as the audience.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Might recommend more than the first four, though maybe the anime has something redeeming about it. I read the light novels, and based on Wikipedia each novel seems to fit four episodes at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Shield Hero was one of a few things I've watched in the past... year or so that started really really weak and got better after a few episodes. If I knew someone was interested in watching it, I'd recommend they read the Wikipedia episode summary of the first episode, and possible, the second, to get to the third ASAP... because the quality of the story is massively shifted for the better after the crappy start.

It think it's a shame that the anime starts so poorly, because the story has a lot of really good commentary on what sort of behaviors we allow "heroes" in fiction vs. what people actually trying to do good for their fellow people would do, the destructive influence of systemic bias, the dangers of trusting cultural myths instead of investigating the truth, and a bunch of other things. It just takes awhile for the build up to pay off.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yeah pretty boring and dumb.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I watched the first episode of Shield Hero, hated it, and can't stop thinking about it, halp.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    That subtle but constant feeling of wrongness you get from having accidentally got Superglue on your fingertips.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    My mother-in-law is dying and I can't help but feel angry that, just like her husband years ago, she could have done innumerable things about it before it got this far but instead didn't bother. I'll not stop loving her but damn I'm angry at her for letting it get to this. And it doesn't help that my wife's side of the family are too busy sniping at each other to be supportive, or anything other than self-absorbed.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    I hate that Youtube just decided to give my account a strike, and nuke an ENTIRE PLAYLIST worth of favorited videos, because they violated the terms of content. Those weren't even my videos, they were faved from other content uploaders!

Leave a comment:

• goddessgood
    replied
    I hate that loving someone has lead me to compensate for and support them in their depression for more than a decade. I hate that they now feel like depression is "normal" to the extent that they can't empathize with the urgency and fear I have about my own very deep, severe depression. I hate that I'm probably going to cut ties with them because we've both lost the ability to connect with people outside our own pain including each other. I hate that I only have the mental and emotional clarity to work towards that separation about one day out of every week.

Leave a comment:

• Kleptomania
    replied
    No future.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I feel for you.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    I hate that not even a month after my friends and family called me to make sure I was okay after a mass shooting in my town, I had to call them to make sure they were okay after a mass shooting in their town.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    People treating the world like it's about to end is three-quarters of why the planet is in the trouble it's in.

"Oh, it won't matter if my company causes earthquakes with their fracking. I just need to lie about its effects long enough to retire in obscene wealth; it's not like people will have to live on the planet two decades from now."
    Well when I'm the head of a major company, I'll be sure to not do that. In the meantime, I'm gonna make peace with my relative ineffectualness on all of it, the low probability of the people capable of doing anything actually doing anything, and otherwise keep doing what I'm doing because a habit is a habit and I don't have much else to do asides.

Besides, hope is a dumb reason to do anything. Just because nothing's going to meaningfully change doesn't change that fact that the sort of change I want to see is right.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I've kind of just accepted that it's actually, for once, the end of the world.

A Decades Long Prelude to the End of the World, but, you know, the end of the world.
    People treating the world like it's about to end is three-quarters of why the planet is in the trouble it's in.

"Oh, it won't matter if my company causes earthquakes with their fracking. I just need to lie about its effects long enough to retire in obscene wealth; it's not like people will have to live on the planet two decades from now."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X