Here be Ponies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by impulsiveIngenue View Post
    Woo, ponies! Sadly, though, I too am on the no spoilers train.

Wait... this is in the Exalted forum, what's...

.... ponies confirmed for 3e?
    Funny you should mention that, given the Shard I've been working on....

Glorious Echeladder Ascension Technique - Forum Topic

"Look, sometimes you just are in the mood to play the divinely empowered champion of the God of Farts. Mechanically optimized play is not the only way to enjoy playing your character." -Wise Old Guru

Comment

Originally posted by Vegetalss4 View Post
      Really?
      I thought that was just yet another case of ""as a company we do not acknowledge that this is happening, but think it is cool that it is", like all other fan-made stuff.
      Where did Hasbro give it, their official blessing?
      When they didn't kill it like they did with Fighting Is Magic.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

This thread be relocated?

There shall be a reckoning.

In the meantime, I'd like to take this opportunity to direct people to what I think is the finest fan map of Equestria yet made, and a pretty good example of map making overall.

I shall be making use of it for Exalted.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...27-d4czwjj.png

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Dammit! Knew I should have posted those Pony Charms quicker...

Anywho, we're only about an hour away from Pony Hour! What are you hoping for in the new season? I think I'd most like to see Celestia succeed at being *effective* at something, otherwise I have to conclude that she's come down with a serious case of Worf's Flu...

Between this and the season premier of Doctor Who, today is Geek Heaven! If only Sherlock's Third Season and Exalted Third Edition had managed to come out today, I'd be set! Well, I'd probably *explode*, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            Anywho, we're only about an hour away from Pony Hour! What are you hoping for in the new season?
            Last time I posted my hopes, some of them got fulfilled, and it was awful. I will do this much like I do 3e; I'll leave it in the hands of the writers and try to come at it as blank as possible.

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            I think I'd most like to see Celestia succeed at being *effective* at something, otherwise I have to conclude that she's come down with a serious case of Worf's Flu...
            When Chrysalis defeated Celestia was probably my one instance of nerd freakout in the show. Great was my rage for a week or so. The only other thing in the pony community that's enraged me harder was Fighting is Magic getting C&D'd.

In retrospect, though, I'm kind of glad for the implications Celestia's defeat had. It clearly shows that needs Twilight, for one, but more importantly it shows that power (because she's clearly powerful) doesn't have to be physical, manifest, destructive power. I like that we have a god-queen who is clearly in charge for a good reason but still needs her champions to fight for her.

Edit: Also, this forum messes up my pony avatar something fierce.
            Last edited by Weimann; 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

So, it's doing a lot right so far, Season 4 is.
              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Aww, I failed to catch a stream. I'll have to wait for YouTube. Just a few more hours.

A few more hours! Gaaaah!

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

I don't feel like doing a full on review, so I'll be brief. This was a remarkably mature opening for the season, beautifully animated, and appropriately dark. Discord is the episode and is done a great service in his portrayal particularly, but this episode clearly sets up the rest of the seasons themes and ideas solidly. It's awesome.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    This thread be relocated?

There shall be a reckoning.
                    Aww, now I have to actually go to other parts of these forums.
                    This attack on the Exalted forums microcosm, Shall Not Stand!
                    Well it porbably will, after all I can't think of anything I could do about it.

As for the New episode, I am still high on new episode Pony.
                    But I think that this will be one of my favorite episodes to date.
                    Also Twilicorn is the most Twily-like princess in the whole twily universe.
                    Twily.

Comment

Spoilers below, as expected.

S4E1-2: Princess Twilight Sparkle

Omigod omigod omigod!!!!!1!

Yeah, had to get that out of the way. I am excited for this season. Not as excited as I may have been other times, but god damn it, it's ponies. I just love the fact that they're back.

And the introductory episode was wonderful. I've said before that FiM isn't too good at doing the adventure type of episodes. This might be attributed to the fact that in the end, it's still a kid's show, and the type of adventure that entails isn't necessarily that impressive for someone who's watched Game of Thrones. But this might very well be the best adventure episode they've done yet. They actually did manage to establish a form of uncertainty about the outcome by kidnapping Celestia and Luna, and I could see half of season 4 being about Twilight learning the pricess trade the hard way. They didn't go that route, and I didn't really think they would either, but it wasn't entirely unrealistic. Well done on that.

This episode also played excellently on tying things back to what we know, and by adding to it. I never even imagined where the Elements of Harmony came from in the first place, but the idea that they're some kind of fruit is not only utterly hilarious to me but also raises questions I'm sure will be developed in depth in fanfics. It also gave a quick refresher on why Discord is infinitely more dangerous than he lets on. I did quite like that. I wonder how many other little time bombs that's been ticking for 1000 years are spread around Equestria. One thing I was not a big fan of is how the episode dealt with Nightmare Moon; turns out Celestia defeated her in about three minutes. Again, we have the problem with rushing things in this show. In a more dedicated adventure show, how epic would the Nightmare Wars have been to delve into? Hella epic, is how. But I'm willing to flat out selectively disregard the flashbacks, to be honest. It's not likely to come up again in the show anyway.

We don't get many friendship moments we haven't honestly already seen, but I like how Applejack takes the fore a lot in this episode. It feels entirely appropriate to her persona, and I'd not object towards making her the voice of reason in an even bigger way than she already is. Otherwise, amusing interactions between the mane six are fairly limited, which is kind of a bummer.

One thing I noted was that Discord prided himself on having given Twilight "a princess lesson" towards the end. That's... wrong. Applejack gave her a princess lesson; the idea that you shouldn't put the only remaining alicorn princess at risk is entirely correct. A leader is needed. Turn out, of course, that sticking to her friends worked out in this case, but as much as they have said that not much will change between the mane six, I'm looking forward to seeing if they'll pull the royal duty card at any other points ahead.

One thing that did change in this episode was, of course, the relinquishing of the Elements of Harmony. This is highly interesting. The status quo is broken, and suddenly there's a whole new threat to keeping Discord around. As has been seen previously in the episode, he is not to be trusted. I still think he's running a long con here. Remains to be seen.

And, of course, that delicious locked box. I hope they'll return to that more throughout the season than they did in the last season with the book with Starswirl's spell in it (ie, one second flash in the first episode and then not a word about it until the last). They made it pretty clear it'd be a returning thing, though, so I have pretty high hopes.

All in all, hell yes. Strong start with only a few annoyances. We're back on track. Here we go!

Comment

Wait, it's starting now?!

Dammit, I literally have no time for this between Eirtakon and sleeping.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Initial thoughts on part 1: Interesting bits of world-building, plus Discord signing "Winter Wrap-Up."
                          Initial thoughts on part 2: More world-building, more goddamn stairs in the way, and HOLY CRAP EQUESTRIA HAS ROCKODILES.

The mysterious six-keyed box... I hope we get the episodes dealing with the keys distributed relatively evenly across the season, rather than having it all crammed into the season finale.
                          Last edited by Ryumaru; 11-23-2013, 10:36 PM.

Glorious Echeladder Ascension Technique - Forum Topic

"Look, sometimes you just are in the mood to play the divinely empowered champion of the God of Farts. Mechanically optimized play is not the only way to enjoy playing your character." -Wise Old Guru

Comment

Is cute ponies doing cute pony things. Twilight trying to fly was super cute, and I was really intrigued by the heavy inclusion of Discord and the world building.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            In the meantime, I'd like to take this opportunity to direct people to what I think is the finest fan map of Equestria yet made, and a pretty good example of map making overall.

I shall be making use of it for Exalted.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...27-d4czwjj.png
                            I take offense to this map as there is no indication of donkey majority anywhere!!!

Simulacre: An Alternative Morality Stat for Prometheans
                            Homebrew Athanors

Comment

Watched the first two episodes, and I can state with confidence that every aspect of this show has been ruined forever.

More seriously: nah, it was fine. Standard two-part saving-the-world episode to kick off the season, as is the norm. Darker than I'd prefer, to be honest - I like gritty-dark-mature themes to stay far away from this show (a big part of why I don't involve myself in much fanmade content; the popularity of Fallout Equestria is a prime example), and the whole Twilight-needs-to-seclude-herself-in-safety moment strayed too close for my liking. Given that sending her back to Ponyville turned out to be a bad idea, I don't think I need to worry about the writers getting all serious-business, but who knows. Giving up the Elements and thereby losing the trump card vs. Discord had similar potential, but I have no doubt that whatever's hidden in that box will prove an appropriate replacement if he goes all villainous again.

Speaking of that box, hopefully it will also provide some interesting character-study-ish episodes centered around each of the main six characters. (Maybe all of them will turn into alicorn princesses as they learn their personal lesson. I think that might be worth it just to see how pissed off people would get. :P )
                              Last edited by Cielle; 11-26-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Special double post: finally took the opportunity to watch Equestria Girls. Definitely not bad. I mean, the message about social divisions was a little cliche to me, but it's a kids' show, it doesn't need to be groundbreaking.

The last fifteen minutes or so really caught me off guard, though. After an hour of mundane high school life and simple messages about kindness and humanity, I was not expecting things to get all Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Comment

Working...
                                X