X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Originally posted by Weimann View Post
    Wow, I just watched Legend of Everfree. I'm going to write a review on it later, but I just need to say, right now: this movie at least ties with, possibly exceeds, Rainbow Rocks. My expectations were most righteously crushed. I am so happy about this movie, you guys.

It was a nice way to break up my Luke Cage binge! Don't know if I liked it better than RR, but it was a really solid story, and really advanced the EG setting. Definitely proved that it can stand on its own with NO ponies in sight at all, and I even liked how it dealt with the Flash Sentry issue you alluded to above. Still not sure which of the two villains I'd call the main/actual villain, tho...

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    S6E22 - P.P.O.V (Pony Point of View)

This was reference city. I'd make a complete list with time stamps if I thought a Youtube would live more than 24 hours, but off the top of my head: Rarity vs crab (I've no idea why that was ever a thing), Rarity's fainting couch, Rarity standing at the very front of the ship while saying "a luxury cruise never sinks"... eh, I guess it was mostly Rarity. Oh, and didn't Pinkie say just last episode that she never burns a cake? Hah! Busted!

I...had actually never even heard of the "Rarity vs. Crab" thing before. That's really a thing? And did you notice the changing clothes between the different versions? One of Rarity's was actually the fancy dress from Titanic (completing the prow ref)! And considering that her lover in the movie was (Apple)Jack...

And, of course, she didn't burn cakes this ep, but...what was it, brownies? Either way, it was effective at showing how upset she was...

Also, did AJ's perspective on Pinkie essentially equate to "mentally challenged"?
    That's...pretty accurate, actually. That is, that's pretty much how Pinkie *always* comes off, at least to me. Makes sense that "hooves on the ground" Applejack would see it even moreso!...I did smile at her Rarity's overuse of "darling", tho!

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    Wow, I just watched Legend of Everfree. I'm going to write a review on it later, but I just need to say, right now: this movie at least ties with, possibly exceeds, Rainbow Rocks. My expectations were most righteously crushed. I am so happy about this movie, you guys.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    S6E22 - P.P.O.V (Pony Point of View)

A Twilight episode? What is this, season 2?

This was reference city. I'd make a complete list with time stamps if I thought a Youtube would live more than 24 hours, but off the top of my head: Rarity vs crab (I've no idea why that was ever a thing), Rarity's fainting couch, Rarity standing at the very front of the ship while saying "a luxury cruise never sinks"... eh, I guess it was mostly Rarity. Oh, and didn't Pinkie say just last episode that she never burns a cake? Hah! Busted!

Highlight of the episode might be pirate Applejack. Just... just perfect. Also, did AJ's perspective on Pinkie essentially equate to "mentally challenged"?

This episode was funny for the same reason both Every Little Thing She Does and Saddle Row Review was: it exaggerated the characteristics and relationships that have been established, causing the comedic effect to be grounded in something we accept. The plot was obvious from he start, but that obviously wasn't the point, even if it did manage to preserve some form of tension in the question of how the boat sank (tangent: it irks me so much that they didn't even try to make the water depth consistent enough for a boat to actually sink *nerdrage*).

Witty script, funny comedy, a winner in my book.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
    It's a line from a rather popular song by The Police; the rest of the line "is magic" ...
    AH, sweet! Thanks!

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
    Agreed, all around! I questioned earlier how Starlight was different from Sunset Shimmer, and this ep is a good expression of that; I can't Sunset really doing something like this (even IF she had the magic to do so,that is)...of course, we don't get to see her growth between movies, so, maybe...? But I somehow doubt it.
    Not now, certainly. But it was literally her plan A in the first EqG movie, except for that it wouldn't be her friends (since she had none).

Which reminds me that Equestria Girls: Legend of Everfree was released today! I'm kind of stoked, not going to lie. The only thing I know about it is the base setting, and it's not a competition, so that a nice change of pace. While I realize there will be some kind of conflict, I'm hoping the focus will be on the development of human!Twilight in relation to the humane six in general and Sunset in particular. After Friendship Games, it kind of felt like Sunset's obvious character arc was concluded, and I hope a different focus this movie might re-enrich her potential story going forward. Human!Twilight on the other hand has a lot of potential right now. She's in a new school, she has friends for the first time, oh and she turned into a magic-hungry demon. The strength of the Sunset Shimmer character is that we have seen her deal with all that (except for the "new school" thing), and I'd like to see how human!Twilight comes out through that same struggle.

Oh, and get her together with Flash. Seriously, just give the poor sod a reason to exist. Armcandy will fit him just fine, but right now he's literally not worth screen time.

I was wondering why Twilight didn't just take Starlight along with her and introduce her to Moondancer...imagine the discussions they could have on friendship, magic...and Twilight!
    That last part might be why she's not too keen on that. :P

The plot of the season finale has been revealed. I already mentioned how I'd endthe season, but I'm liking this better, it really brings the story of Starlight full circle, and could easily be used to write her off in a positive way if they want to! Who do you think will be on her "Alternate Mane Six" team? I'm thinking Sunburst and Trixie are almost givens,but the rest might depend on who the "returning" villain is. If it's Queen Crysalis, then Thorax makes a lot of sense. Still, keeping my hooves crossed for a proper look at King Sombra...
    Well, one alternate configuration I've seen is Lyra, Bonbon, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Dr. Hooves and Derpy. That won't be it, of course, since we already had the background pony episode and it has nothing to do with Starlight. I'm thinking Trixie and Sunburst are selfevident as well, but I couldn't guess for the other three.
    Last edited by Weimann; 10-01-2016, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    S6E21 - Every Little Thing She Does

The very first thought in my head when I read the title was "that was a cheat code in Warcraft 2". Is it an established expression? When do you use it? I'm curious.

God damn it, Starlight just defaults to being a villain. It's not that she's evil, it's the way she thinks. She's the best one in the show, I swear.

This episode was legitimately funny. All the dead-pan humour, the references and the absolutely-not-hung-over ponies at the end was enough to rival Saddle Row Review in my mind (but not quite beat it). And the best part is that it's not only funny, but quite well written too. I can feel Starlight here. Breaking habits and learning new thing can be hard, even scary. The episode laid a subtle but solid foundation that revealed Starlight's motivation between her actions: she was afraid to face her tasks, and when she couldn't push them before her anymore she wanted to get them over with as quick as possible, because she didn't know how to properly engage them. There are some really short but important bits that lift this episode to a different level.

Starlight has actually really brought some fresh air to the show. She's useful because through her, we can see the things we already know in a new light, and resting novelty on the foundation of the familiar is a cornerstone of progression.
    Agreed, all around! I questioned earlier how Starlight was different from Sunset Shimmer, and this ep is a good expression of that; I can't Sunset really doing something like this (even IF she had the magic to do so,that is)...of course, we don't get to see her growth between movies, so, maybe...? But I somehow doubt it.

I was wondering why Twilight didn't just take Starlight along with her and introduce her to Moondancer...imagine the discussions they could have on friendship, magic...and Twilight!

The plot of the season finale has been revealed. I already mentioned how I'd endthe season, but I'm liking this better, it really brings the story of Starlight full circle, and could easily be used to write her off in a positive way if they want to! Who do you think will be on her "Alternate Mane Six" team? I'm thinking Sunburst and Trixie are almost givens,but the rest might depend on who the "returning" villain is. If it's Queen Crysalis, then Thorax makes a lot of sense. Still, keeping my hooves crossed for a proper look at King Sombra...

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    S6E20 - Viva Las Pegasus

Yeah! This is nice! I liked how they used Flim and Flam (to begin with, I thought they were antagonising each other on purpose to play the crowd). It makes them more rounded, if only for a bit, and it kind of makes me feel that the show could never use them again and I'd feel like they'd have had an ending, a redemption of sorts. Furthermore, it lends credence to Gladmane's character as a manipulator that the manipulators got manipulated. Gladmane himself was a credible villain with an understandable motivation, not evil (his artists weren't bad off, just not as well as they could be) but certainly egotistic, which made me antagonise him in an interesting way. AJ and Fluttershy is also a nice combo, but the villains (all three of them) stole the show for me here. Strong episode, if not super interesting.
    I kinda wish Gladmane had been less Elvis, and more Don King...

Gotta deduct a point for being set in Pony Las Vegas, and not having even ONE reference to the G&PT, but otherwise solid! I actually like that the Bros were NOT redeemed, and proceeding to fleece everyone there! Did you know that this plot had already been done in the comics, but there it was Granny Smith who reunited them?

Leave a comment:

• Mangle77
    replied

The very first thought in my head when I read the title was "that was a cheat code in Warcraft 2". Is it an established expression? When do you use it? I'm curious.
    It's a line from a rather popular song by The Police; the rest of the line "is magic" ...
    Last edited by Mangle77; 09-29-2016, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied

God damn it, Starlight just defaults to being a villain. It's not that she's evil, it's the way she thinks. She's the best one in the show, I swear.

This episode was legitimately funny. All the dead-pan humour, the references and the absolutely-not-hung-over ponies at the end was enough to rival Saddle Row Review in my mind (but not quite beat it). And the best part is that it's not only funny, but quite well written too. I can feel Starlight here. Breaking habits and learning new thing can be hard, even scary. The episode laid a subtle but solid foundation that revealed Starlight's motivation between her actions: she was afraid to face her tasks, and when she couldn't push them before her anymore she wanted to get them over with as quick as possible, because she didn't know how to properly engage them. There are some really short but important bits that lift this episode to a different level.

Starlight has actually really brought some fresh air to the show. She's useful because through her, we can see the things we already know in a new light, and resting novelty on the foundation of the familiar is a cornerstone of progression.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    S6E20 - Viva Las Pegasus

Yeah! This is nice! I liked how they used Flim and Flam (to begin with, I thought they were antagonising each other on purpose to play the crowd). It makes them more rounded, if only for a bit, and it kind of makes me feel that the show could never use them again and I'd feel like they'd have had an ending, a redemption of sorts. Furthermore, it lends credence to Gladmane's character as a manipulator that the manipulators got manipulated. Gladmane himself was a credible villain with an understandable motivation, not evil (his artists weren't bad off, just not as well as they could be) but certainly egotistic, which made me antagonise him in an interesting way. AJ and Fluttershy is also a nice combo, but the villains (all three of them) stole the show for me here. Strong episode, if not super interesting.
    Last edited by Weimann; 09-26-2016, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    Well, he HAD been a willing participant in an invasion force against ponies in general, just because it wasn't that exact state is probably splitting hairs. The real issue is the "one good Orc" problem, which we've also seen with Princess Ember and Gabby...that ONE member of a normally unsociable "race" who just doesn't fit in with them because they're "nice". Handled poorly, that can have definite Unfortunate Implications...
    True enough. I can buy that.

At first, it seemed odd that Big Mac would be into it, but then I remembered the glimpse we got of his dreams before...Still, a campaign with just ONE player?? They really should have added some others in, even if they were background ponies (SA is understandably too busy now)...Also, given that we've had at least two long speeches from BM that I can recall, it's a bit frustrating keeping up the "Eyup" gag in an ep that features him so prominently! At least make it funny, like in Filli Vanilli...
    Yeah, I mean, it's not like he delivers a wel-spoken observation to Applejack in, like, his very first appearance in the show or anything. His non-talking does relegate him to the sidelines more than otherwise, unfortunately. They could have made the "eeyup" gag prominent without making it (almost) exclusive.

I'm glad that it ended with some of the girls joining in the game, as it was seriously crossing the old "girls aren't gamers" line otherwise...
    RD was a rogue/assassin and Pinkie a bard, no surprises there. Wonder what the the others would be... Twilight as a wizard, obviously, and Fluttershy as a druid. I've seen AJ as a fighter a lot, but I think that's just because she's hard to pin down beyond "she's strong I guess?" D&D has few mechanics for farming or related to gaining strength from family. Rarity's focus on social skills and crafting also doesn't play well into D&D. She might be a sorcerer?

Sadly, it's not just you. I suspect that with the old people leaving and new people coming it, Lauren Faust's original ideas of *pushing the boundaries* of what such a cartoon can do is slowly eroding, hence more standard Slice of Life Childhood Lesson stuff. And for all the people insisting that Pony is best with SoL stories, they seem to have forgotten that LF's original intentions was to have an Action-Adventure show with the ponies as Magical Girls, but Hasbro made her go the SoL/Sitcom route. I think Pony's "edge" as you put it is best shown with either the Adventure eps or the outright Weird ones...
    I've been on record expressing that action-adventure episodes seldom fully hit home for me. I'm not sure I'd throw my lot in fully behind the slice of life concept either, but to me, adventures should sprinkle seasoning on a foundation of character work. If Faust had been able to fully realize her vision without meddling, it might have worked just as well, but in the state of the show now, I can't I'd want more of it than we get (but not necessarily less either).

Of course, this season DID bring us Saddle Row Review, which was the outright funniest the show has been in a while!
    No doubt.

OTOH, a standard ending for the latest ep would have given GAbby a cutie mark despite the fact that she can't have one. That would have been a real Shark-Jumping moment for me. One of my biggest criticisms of children's entertainment is how the protagonists always get what they want (the early Harry Potter movies bending over backwards to give Griffindor the House Cup--even by blatantly cheating on the part of authority figures--really gets me. No wonder Slytherin hates them so much...), so I'm glad to see shows acknowledge that that doesn't happen in real life. This was the closest the show has also come to acknowledging Scootaloos' disability, as well (something LF wanted to do an entire episode about), so that was cool to see, as well.

Seems the show still has some legs left to it!
    Absolutely. Gabby's solution was a great one, not only because it didn't break a setting assumption that did not benefit from breaking, but also because it showed an innovative and setting-consistent way of dealing with the problems that may plausibly arise in the setting. That's signature tight MLP writing. I've no doubt that there's fuel left in MLP for a while more, it's just that I've recieved these last episodes poorly. That doesn't have to be indicative of a trend.

That said, we are on the sixth season. There are critically acclaimed adult TV series that hasn't gone strong this long. It wouldn't be a strange thing if it was starting to feel a bit thin.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    The theme was also a bit confused: most of the episode was focused on prejudice, but then Spike's song was about how a "changeling can change", which made it sound like Thorax had done something wrong and was seeking redemption. Which he might have done previously, but not towards the Crystal Empire..
    Well, he HAD been a willing participant in an invasion force against ponies in general, just because it wasn't that exact state is probably splitting hairs. The real issue is the "one good Orc" problem, which we've also seen with Princess Ember and Gabby...that ONE member of a normally unsociable "race" who just doesn't fit in with them because they're "nice". Handled poorly, that can have definite Unfortunate Implications...

God damn it, does Hasbro have to include a commercial for their roleplaying game in the series that's an ad for their plastic toys? I'm not sure if I should be impressed or outraged about the depths of capitalism.
    ...Y'know, that never even occurred to me! I suppose if they had actually called it by the RL name, it could be considered such. Did you know that the name they used was actually taken from the MLP comic books? Shining Armor is an old hoof at it!

At first, it seemed odd that Big Mac would be into it, but then I remembered the glimpse we got of his dreams before...Still, a campaign with just ONE player?? They really should have added some others in, even if they were background ponies (SA is understandably too busy now)...Also, given that we've had at least two long speeches from BM that I can recall, it's a bit frustrating keeping up the "Eyup" gag in an ep that features him so prominently! At least make it funny, like in Filli Vanilli...

I'm glad that it ended with some of the girls joining in the game, as it was seriously crossing the old "girls aren't gamers" line otherwise...

Booooring. Seriously, this was so lightweight. Cute, fluffy, almost filler. You just know this game will nevercome up again. Is it just me, or has there been a few in a row that are just... not so great now?
    Sadly, it's not just you. I suspect that with the old people leaving and new people coming it, Lauren Faust's original ideas of *pushing the boundaries* of what such a cartoon can do is slowly eroding, hence more standard Slice of Life Childhood Lesson stuff. And for all the people insisting that Pony is best with SoL stories, they seem to have forgotten that LF's original intentions was to have an Action-Adventure show with the ponies as Magical Girls, but Hasbro made her go the SoL/Sitcom route. I think Pony's "edge" as you put it is best shown with either the Adventure eps or the outright Weird ones...

Of course, this season DID bring us Saddle Row Review, which was the outright funniest the show has been in a while!

OTOH, a standard ending for the latest ep would have given GAbby a cutie mark despite the fact that she can't have one. That would have been a real Shark-Jumping moment for me. One of my biggest criticisms of children's entertainment is how the protagonists always get what they want (the early Harry Potter movies bending over backwards to give Griffindor the House Cup--even by blatantly cheating on the part of authority figures--really gets me. No wonder Slytherin hates them so much...), so I'm glad to see shows acknowledge that that doesn't happen in real life. This was the closest the show has also come to acknowledging Scootaloos' disability, as well (something LF wanted to do an entire episode about), so that was cool to see, as well.

Seems the show still has some legs left to it!

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    S6E19 - The Fault in Our Cutie Marks

So, I came into this expecting a story about a teenage filly with terminal cancer meeting the colt of her life, also with cancer, and them having a more fulfilling year together than most of the mares and stallions around them because love is infinite no matter how big your infinity is. I'm only slightly disappointed.

"What the apples" is now the cutest way of not swearing on air.

Yeah, I really liked this. Gabby was delightful, and I liked that they adressed one of the issues I have with cutie marks; they are often portrayed as something you get when you find the right situation and which then dictates your job, kind of like a lottery where you have to search for the ticket. They're actually supposed to be an external representation of your inclinations, which in fact allows for great flexibility in your life choices. Main example is Rarity: she's all about fashion, craftmanship and beauty, but her actual cutie mark relates to finding precious stones.

I thought the whole episode was high-energy fun with a subtle theme of cultural inclusivity. Really solid.
    Last edited by Weimann; 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    S6E17 - Dungeons and Discords

God damn it, does Hasbro have to include a commercial for their roleplaying game in the series that's an ad for their plastic toys? I'm not sure if I should be impressed or outraged about the depths of capitalism.

Y'know what? This was cute. Which I suppose isn't the first adjective that comes to mind in an episode about Spike, Big Mac and Discord, but none the less. The best part was easily the interactions between the three parties; it's clear that Spike and Big Mac doesn't really want to intive Discord, and it's clear that he doesn't really want to accept, but it kind of just turns out that way due to what's not really miscommunication but something rather akin. That felt authentic. I also like that Big Mac didn't seem too uninterested in Discord's night out (here's looking at you, banana mare) despite sticking to Spike's side, showing that not all who play RPGs are monofocused nerds. The reveal at the end, that both parties kind of accepted because they felt sorry for the other, was also nice.

The RPG part wasnt really what did it. As a huge nerdlord myself, I appreciate it because it's home territory. It could probably have been switched out for some other secluded activity, though.

I didn't love it. It's okay, though.

S6E18 - Buckball Season

Fluttershy is cute. Pinkie is cute. RD does her RD thing. AJ works well with RD. Moral: you do you, filly.

Booooring. Seriously, this was so lightweight. Cute, fluffy, almost filler. You just know this game will never come up again. Is it just me, or has there been a few in a row that are just... not so great now?
    Last edited by Weimann; 09-19-2016, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Weimann
    replied
    S6E16 - The Times They Are A Changeling

Okay, that was a funny title.

How do I put this... you know that feeling you get sometimes of "is this My Little Pony?!" or "oh my god, only in FiM"? Like when Twilight had a DBZ fight with Tirek or when there was a whole episode devoted to background characters and fandom memes? Those episodes that remind you that there's a show here for everyone?

This episode was the opposite of that. It called back to a previous setting element (and even to the season premiere), had a nice song, conveyed an important message and was all super standard. The only time when I felt a little spark of interest was when Spike rejected Thorax the first time, but that was over in a moment. The theme was also a bit confused: most of the episode was focused on prejudice, but then Spike's song was about how a "changeling can change", which made it sound like Thorax had done something wrong and was seeking redemption. Which he might have done previously, but not towards the Crystal Empire.

I don't want to say it was a bad episode. The theme was strong and important. But it was also formulaic, lacking that edge that I know MLP has. For once, I felt like I might not be the target audience here. That's bound to happen sometimes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X