Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only RPG Nerd that never read a DnD book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only RPG Nerd that never read a DnD book?

Seriously, I got started on Werewolf Revised... and most of my experience has been with Whitewolf, I have a few other RPGs but I don't have DnD books... I know some day I need to read at least one but... am I alone in this? It seems virtually everyone else I know who I haven't introduced into roleplaying started with DnD or is most comfortable with DnD?

I mean I got to play very briefly one Summer when I was visiting my Exalted Group and they played DnD since the only people comfortable enough with a system to run a game were from the DnD end of things. But I use mostly WW terminology preferring the Term ST to Dungeon Master, with Game Master as an acceptable Middle Ground, and Hollyhock God as a catchy alternate.

But when asking about how DnD works from my friends that specialized in it... they didn't seem know as much as beyond what feats do and classes. For instance it took me forever to hammer out that DnD is just a rules set but what it isn't really a setting right? I mean it will give you cultures and gods but you have to go to things like Forgotten Realms or Pathfinder for actual Worlds? So basic DnD just forces the GM to make a world, which some love and some don't.

I mean I absorbed DnD knowledge basically from reverse engineering concepts from Video Games Stolen from it.

When introducing DnD Players to Whitewolf games they seem to hemorrhage their brains when I explain to them how Whitewolf handles Exp, and that you don't just choose a Race and add a class. Like seriously I tried getting someone who just showed up for one game of Exalted, was a friend of two of the Players, and she wanted to play an Elf Mage and I had to explain that isn't what you would think it is in Exalted, and how Exalted are more then just some common profession, how Elf can mean a number of things, and how the magic of DnD and Exalted were kind of different.

On the good side some of the previously only DnD Players loved the fact that Whitewolf games was about more then Dungeon Crawling and how they could be jungle Rockstar Goddesses, or Russian Gypsy Demigods. They loved the interaction, and the fact that the setting was built around NPCs important to their characters history.

So am I alone, or are their other Freaks that are alien to DnD?

Also... I never really got into Magic the Gathering...so uhh please don't confiscate my Nerd Badge... I had to hurt an awful lot of fellows to get it... :P

I've have also never read a DnD book.

"For these reasons, the trade of a soldier is held the most honourable of all others; because a soldier is a Yahoo hired to kill, in cold blood, as many of his own species, who have never offended him, as possibly he can." ― from "Gulliver's Travels"

Comment

I started with D&D, but that's mostly because it's the most common game. It's the gateway drug into the industry.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Yes, D&D is a set of rules used to play fantasy adventure. However, each edition has balanced itself between being just a rules set, and presenting itself with a setting which DMs could use if they wanted to. 3E has Greyhawk mixed in the core books. 4E started with the Points of Light, which evolved into the Nentir Vale setting. WOTC has announced 5E will be packaged with Forgotten Realms to start with. Nothing in the books insisted you use those settings, and they gave you all the tools to build your own. So your initial impression that it was both a rules set and a setting was not really all that far off.

Technically, Pathfinder is also just a rules set and Golarion is the setting. Much like D&D, Pathfinder works for any number of published or homebrew settings.

If you want to check out D&D, go for it, but don't feel like you need to. D&D was the only game in town for a minute, but we are long past the time when it defined this hobby. I meet more and more people every year who have never played it, and that is fine. It just shows us how far we have grown beyond our roots.

As for your Nerd Badge... Well, we need to hold a committee meeting, and we will get back to you on that.

I game. This is the way.

Comment

I want to see a 5th ed Ravenloft setting, that would get me to buy a new DnD product after not buying anything since about 2002.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
          Posts in this color are moderator posts
          Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
          Forum Terms of Use
          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Gateway drug indeed. Never played any RPG. But I did love poring through the books. Way back when I first began going through them, it was near that dawn of time, the 70s. Gary Gygax had began Dragon Magazine a couple of years earlier. *sigh* Still have Deities and Demigods...(Newhon Mythos, and Melnibone Mythos in it) ... o the memories.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

I don't know if you can call yourself an RPG nerd if you've never read a D&D book. It would be like calling yourself a science fiction TV show nerd without having seen Star Trek or a Fantasy Novel nerd without having read Tolkien.

I started with D&D back in the late 80's. Though since then I've played almost every RPG system under the sun. And the thing I've discovered is that the system is ultimately kind of meaningless. It's just a framework to let you tell stories and, while some systems let you tell certain types of stories a little bit easier, ultimately you can tell any type of story using any type of system.

Honestly though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check out a D&D book or two. It might make explaining the similarities and differences between D&D and other systems (like Exalted) a bit easier. Because while there are differences, there's also quite a few basic similarities. Being able to help translate concepts from the new system into a system the players are more familiar with can help them get the hang of things a bit quicker.

AnubisXy
              Last edited by AnubisXy; 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

You're not alone, although I have had a brief brush with D&D. My RPG experiences began with a Vampire: the Masquerade LARP, and have largely consisted of various WW games. I did play in a short-lived D&D 3.5 campaign around 10 years ago, though I'd already been at WW stuff for a long time by then. That's it.

I don't much care for the d20 System, and generally find D&D to be crunchier than I enjoy.

Occasional games of Dungeon World, however, are quite fun. It's the same spirit of classic fantasy adventure, but with a far lighter, simpler set of rules.

Demon Cat

Illuminated Dark Ages character sheets and more

Comment

I played one session of D&D, never read the book, just got guided thru character creation. Died in 20 minutes. Walked away, never looked back or played again.

Played some TSR Marvel Super Heroes after that.

Then someone dragged me to a Masquerade LARP in 1995.

I've got a few other game companies' books on my shelves, but they are mostly for story ideas for White Wolf games.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                  - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Never read or played anything D&D, and, frankly, the more I learn about it, the less I think I'd enjoy it.
                    So...
                    *timidly raises hand*

Part-time table flipper.

Comment

I would guess it depends somewhat on how olde you are. The original D&D Red Box was my first rpg, and there weren't a lot of other options. Last I played it was AD&D 2nd edition, but if not for that box I might never have moved on to Rifts, Shadowrun, VTM etc. By the way, I miss the boxed sets from back in the day. It kept your books, maps, sheets, pencils and dice all in one place.

Ortam + Malkavia makes a Requiem fun.
                      Posts in this colour are Persuasion.
                      Posts in this colour are Seduction.
                      Posts in this colour are Intimidation.

Comment

Speaking of boxed sets, it isn't D&D but I was there when this came out:

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Yep, backwards knowledge from Video Game RPGs (Final Fantasy) too. There were also D&D beat'em up games in arcades too.
                          I do have one Monster Manual, an adventure with Gnolls on the cover, and a Slayer's Guide to Gnolls D20 book, and one novel that has a Gnoll character in it. Then I would buy Dragon Magazine for some of the mythology articles. I also have two Knights of the Dinner Table comic books. But yeah, I got into White Wolf first thanks to the Rage CCG.

Pretty much my main interest into D&D was for the Gnolls. That I still think need to be massively re-written or at least have different options of presenting them in game. Because it's so inaccurate to how hyenas really operate. And how I think they would operate if they became humanoid. Then again, D&D was probably written before Jane Goodall's book Innocent Killers or was ignoring Jane's work when the book came out.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

If I want a gaming console, it will have to be able to play Gauntlet (any game in the line). I had a Xbox and play Dark Legacy to death, then I discover the cheat codes and got to play different characters (favorites were the Japanese schoolgirl and the BDSM midget).

Bipolar vampire...can't decide to feast for fun or for rage...

Comment

Originally posted by JadedTrueBrujah View Post
                              If I want a gaming console, it will have to be able to play Gauntlet (any game in the line). I had a Xbox and play Dark Legacy to death, then I discover the cheat codes and got to play different characters (favorites were the Japanese schoolgirl and the BDSM midget).
                              JTB, did you mean for this post to go in a different thread?

I game. This is the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X