The Mental Health Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
    Anyone have advice on how I might be able to just drop my guard, push through or "trick myself" into maybe being more forthcoming about my feelings?
    It took me months building up trust with my old therapist to get to the point where I could start opening up. Literal months. Unfortunately she ended up moving and I got (yet another) new therapist, and I really didn't want to go through another half a year of getting to the point where I could open up. What I did, and it may or may not work for you, is I told my new therapist in the third meeting "I need to talk. Please don't speak, let me get this all out. I need to pretend I'm not talking to you and I'm just talking to myself". And that's what I did. I shut my eyes, told myself I was alone in the room (for about ten to fifteen minutes) and started talking like I would if I were talking to myself.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

Seeing my therapist tomorrow. I haven't checked in with the witch doctor since last month, and that was the only time I've seen her. I'm a little nervous, and kinda confused about how to drop my innate shield of deflecting conversation away from my issues. Anyone have advice on how I might be able to just drop my guard, push through or "trick myself" into maybe being more forthcoming about my feelings?
      Have a drink beforehand.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
      - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
        Have a drink beforehand.
        I know the comment was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but...

Yeah, actually that could help. So long as you don't have a substance abuse issue, stopping for a quick drink might not be a bad idea. In the early days of meeting my old therapist (AKA the good one), I'd often stop off at a bar for a quick beer on the way. It helped "loosen my lips" before the meeting and often made the inevitable unpacking of my issues a little easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vysha View Post
          I know the comment was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but...

Yeah, actually that could help. So long as you don't have a substance abuse issue, stopping for a quick drink might not be a bad idea. In the early days of meeting my old therapist (AKA the good one), I'd often stop off at a bar for a quick beer on the way. It helped "loosen my lips" before the meeting and often made the inevitable unpacking of my issues a little easier.
          ...I had to quit drinking. I don't disagree with the advice, but I do deal with some substance issues. Thanks, though.

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

...I had to quit drinking. I don't disagree with the advice, but I do deal with some substance issues. Thanks, though.
            This was the response I was actually hoping for. Good work, little brother.

So, serious answer, deep breaths and repeating to yourself that whatever happens in there goes no further than that room. Remind yourself that it is a safe space and that everything you say not only is kept confidential, but can also help the therapist help you. Seemingly insignificant details can be VERY telling to the therapist.

And above all, no matter what happens, we love ya anyway.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
            - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Honestly, there are so many things I want to say, but the only one that really matters is; You made the right, healthy choice to quit. Always, always, always remember that. You're stronger than a lot of people who have a problem but never admit it, let alone take steps to remedy it.

Comment

• I think I feel another episode building again

Comment

• I'm going to do something stupid tonight. I can't help it. I need the relief. The pain. The ritual comfort. I'm covered in scars anyway. Just a few more.

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

• I actually wish you didn't have to. Then again I am binge eating and then puking.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
                    X