Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this forum make my butt look big? (That is what is on my mind)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Literally me right now. I owe so many apologies.
    It's okay. I actually just stumbled on this myself in the past few months. Amazing what you learn when you have to help your kids learn about reading and writing.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
    - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• I only found out about it from a webcomic, but at least I learned.

Originally posted by cerealkiller View Post
      I always do that though. Its how I was taught to write and type.
      I thought I did, apparently its taught by old typing classes that way. I edited stories a while back, thought I had done this for all of them. It looks like it's something I picked up when I went to college, as it's not in anything I worked on before then. I recall classes having some pretty strict style guidelines, I guess it must have been one of them.

Comment

• I just learn a new phrase: Vagenda of Manocide

Comment

• I drank a whole lot of RC Cola tonight and now my soul is made of this:

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

• Bad year to be a celebrity, unless you're in politics. George Michael has died.

Comment

• I try not to think of myself as a bad luck charm for married couples, but I literally just had one of my favorite couples break right the fuck up around me after a week and a half of staying with them.

Gah.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
              Working on:The Hedge
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

• Air pollution in Poland is currently rivaling China's. Our Minister of Health publicly said that he doesn't see a problem in that because majority of population smokes cigarettes anyway.
                https://qz.com/882158/with-air-pollu...-smog-problem/

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                  I try not to think of myself as a bad luck charm for married couples, but I literally just had one of my favorite couples break right the fuck up around me after a week and a half of staying with them.

Gah.
                  I'd invite you to stay with us just to prove you wrong, but we just finally got the house cleared of people other than myself, Mama Bear and the two Baby Bears and she might throw me out for bringing someone else into the house after I was just saying how sick & tired I was of other people in the house.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                  - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
                    I'd invite you to stay with us just to prove you wrong, but we just finally got the house cleared of people other than myself, Mama Bear and the two Baby Bears and she might throw me out for bringing someone else into the house after I was just saying how sick & tired I was of other people in the house.
                    The thought's appreciated though.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                    Working on:The Hedge
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

• Got my son registered for public school, though we're taking him someplace else. Had to get his physical, he's a big guy for his age. 46 inches and he just turned 5. I remember when he was born and there was only one other child at the hospital at the time who was like half his size and weight.

Comment

• Trying to do the following-my-dreams thing again.
                        I'm organizing and hosting a comedy show on April 20th in my hometown. I've already got talent from other states interested. I'm.. hoping I don't screw this up. I want to tell jokes. I want to make people smile and laugh.

Deep breath.

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

• Wish I had a dream or tiniest spark of passion for something. My dream is having and caring for a dream.

Comment

• Man people were not lying when they said the transition from one child to two when they are both under two years old, is complete total hell. X.x

I miss role playing so much but I never have any time anymore and what time I do have freebies spend sleeping or on Skype to braindead from sleep deprivation and weed to role-play lol
                            Last edited by Scelesta; 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM.

" It literally feels like someone has goatsed my pelvic bones."

Comment

• This is going to be weird, but I'm not sure what would be a good thread to post this in, or even if I should post it at all. But I guess there is no harm in asking, sooo...
                              Context. Context is important to not sound like a madperson. OK, so here is some context.
                              I'm not a native English speaker. I've only received about three semesters worth of formal education in English due to our university rules, and their quality...let's just say it was a lip service. My ability to speak and write English comes fully from "learning" it passively - watching original Cartoon Network and the fact that 90% of imported TV content was done with voice over, which allowed me to forge links between words and meanings "by the ear". Add video games to that, and you have me somehow being able to speak and read English since at least 5th year of grade school. How? I have no idea. Which is funny, because during all my pre-university education, I was learning German (12 years of uninterrupted classes, I think?)...and I have forgotten everything about it ASAP.

You might ponder where I'm going with this, or be annoyed that I'm trying to be smug about my pretty bad self taught English. This train of thought is heading towards a sensible destination, I promise!

I'm also a person with a pretty good imagination and ability to forge creative work. Molding stories and characters comes to me with ease, and writing is something I do easily. In fact, my way of battling depression and neurosis for like 10 years was to write in multiple PbP games as a daily routine, often multiple posts per day; and due to our local PbP culture, these posts were quite big. Like, 2 or 3 A4 pages worth of fiction-stylized writing. It was challenging, but it was also fun and rewarding. However, nothing lasts forever; "our" PbP culture started to decline and slowly die, people I used to play with disappeared, and I never was able to find my place with the new guard. Or the old-Old Guard. So few years ago, my PbP "career" has came to an end. It created a creeping hole and void in my life; while I started to play more and more live RPG sessions, they engage me in much different way. And most importantly, live roleplaying is an act, a game, something in the moment; it leaves no other product than memory. Writing creates a tangible, touchable, workable and improvable product that I can be proud of and see that I'm heading somewhere. It's an act of creation. It produces this incredible rush that my life is currently lacking, and which I feel plunges me deeper and deeper into depression, because I lack this intangible satisfaction of job well written.

I have never tried writing anything in English. I'm super afraid of trying to write fiction in it. And this hurts me a lot, because I know that I could reach infinitely bigger audience in English than I ever could in Polish. Why? Because the stuff I want to write about is not popular here. There is no consumer demand for it. We are still living in shadow of the Witcher, and for last 30 years, in order to be popular fantasy/whatefver fiction write in Poland you either need to write in Dark&Sexy&Gritty "Witcher-imitation" style full of profanities and INTENSE SEX SCENES. Either that, or you need to be really, really good and hit a golden spot with your idea. And I'm not really good. I'm "just" ok. And I definitely don't want to write sexually infused stuff about dark and tormented badasses who are tough and cynical but in the end have heart of gold. And of course, only thing they are better at than fighting is fucking. There is very little place for a female hero, and the little room there is still involves being definied by your bed activities. Remember that Dragon Age: Origins trailer, which basically promised everything to be DARKER, EDGIER, SEXIER? Polish fantasy wants to be like that since inception of Witcher in 1986.
                              So often I find myself wishing that I could write in English and post my stuff. Not to earn. Just to be free from that Darker&Sexier culture and to reintroduce creative writing into my daily routine in order to stop being a miserable piece of neurosis ridden shit. But I will never do that. Why? Because I feel insecure about my English. I'm like a monkey who looks like it understands the device it is operating, but that's only an illusion; I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it this way. I have no understanding of the inner workings of this language. I know nothing about it grammar, I know nothing about basic stuff. Which limits my ability to both pursue work that requires understanding of English (because a basic language test aimed at checking my proficiency with rules and innerworkings and grammar and crap will blow me to tiny sparkly salty bits, and because I can't even say "yo, I had X years of English classes which I finished with grade XYZ!"), and to write things for my own sake, because my crushing insecurity ends up paralyzing me and making me abandon it.

So...here is the point I was slowly and painfully crawling towards. I have no idea what to do about it. I have no idea how to start learning English "properly", or how to break chains of my insecurity. A person I correspond with from time to time sent me an email about them starting a Patreon campaign to do what they love and earn cash from it (here is a link, by the way, because her stuff is amazing), and while I was really happy about their success, it also made me insanely, insanely bitter, because I know that I will NEVER do what I love and soon, I will be forced into some career path that will drain rest of my will to life and put a final nail in my coffin, turning me into a full potato whose life is more of a pointless vegetation than anything else, full of bitterness and feeling of wasted life.
                              How do I relearn English, this time properly and in a organized, well disciplined manner? How do I start writing in a second language? How do I plug the hole in my life that drains my will to exist day by day to the point where only thing I feel towards future is existential dread of unknown disaster and emptiness?

And why do I rant about this on a public forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                                And why do I rant about this on a public forum?
                                Because you're looking for help?

​For your first insecurity; your written English is awesome. Better than most native speakers in the US. Rather than trying to relearn, find an editor to help smooth things over. Pass them early drafts and let them give you feedback.

​As for publishing, Patreaon seems to be becoming the venue of choice. Make an account, give it a whirl. You might also try Literotica, even if in the non-E section, they have a large and (mostly) positive community, and a lot of people that volunteer help. (Like any other site, it has it's trolls. Ignore them and focus on the useful criticism.) I know there are site dedicated to less adult content, but oddly enough, just don't seem to have the community support,

Comment

Working...
                                X