No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Enix coming in strong with the most Nothing press conference yet.

Really love that for their two biggest games, they showed, respectively, a trailer they already debuted yesterday and literally nothing.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      I dunno, they just showed game trailers. That’s pretty much exactly what I want out of an e3 press conference. I mean, I’m not the press, so what I want is probably different than what they want. But I enjoyed it.
      Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
      To be honest I didn't expect much from their conference. Squenix typically leaves their big reveals for the Tokyo Game Show and just drops a few breadcrumbs at E3. I was a little disspointed not to see anything about FF7 though.

And honestly their just showing game trailers was better than many conferences where you have morons in suits talking about stuff that nobody cares about. Or EA's conference where they were trying to get cheers by saying, "No more lootboxes!" and, "we're sorry for trying to rip you off so badly in Star Wars we promise we'll never do anything like that again..."
      My issue is that they touted this press conference as being a big deal...yet it wasn't.

While a new Platinum Game is nice...otherwise "expanded" trailers that we already saw, and the other new IP announcement that...tells us nothing. Felt like a general waste of time. Nothing that new and interesting was revealed.

Then there are the usual elephants in the room, like no update on FF7 Remake (especially in the wake of rumors that there's been some studio upheavals) or that mystery Avengers game.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      Square Enix coming in strong with the most Nothing press conference yet.

Really love that for their two biggest games, they showed, respectively, a trailer they already debuted yesterday and literally nothing.
      This gal gets it.

Comment

• Square Enix

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Again, I haven’t played Rise so I have no idea how the game has changed since Tomb Raider 2013. That said we do have a gameplay section that comes across as Lara getting her Splinter Cell on. And Mayan Apocalypse? Aren’t we a few years late to be capitalizing on that?

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood -Under the Moonlight

Don’t play this MMO, don’t care.

Also, Monster Hunter World cross-promotion, ‘cause why not?

Captain Spirit

Ok confirmation that it’s a pseudo-in-between-quel to bridge LiS 1 and 2. And it’s free so…that’s nice I guess?

Dragon Quest XI

I…don’t know much about Dragon Quest. Aside from how it’s the OTHER most popular JRPG franchise.

Babylon’s Fall

Oh hey new Platinum game that’s…straight medieval fantasy. Ok then. Not much else to go from there. Looks neat.

Octopath Traveler

Ok…I already knew that I was going to get this game. This trailer didn’t change anything for me. So…ok then.

Just Cause 4

Again, haven’t played any of the Just Cause games so I can’t speak to much. I’ll leave that to someone else on if the gameplay stuff they mention is any good.

The Quiet Man

Uhm…I got no idea what I watched but ok.

Kingdom Hearts 3

Back to showing a trailer we already saw…if there was additional footage, it barely registered to me. And even then, it didn’t tell us anything new or what we could have already guessed.

------------------------------------------------
        Yeah. That was a colossal waste of time. No update on the FF7 remake, nothing on the mysterious Avengers game, and forget FFXVI, nothing on the 2018 DLC for FFXV? Come on Square.
        Last edited by tasti man LH; 06-11-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
          My issue is that they touted this press conference as being a big deal...yet it wasn't.

While a new Platinum Game is nice...otherwise "expanded" trailers that we already saw, and the other new IP announcement that...tells us nothing. Felt like a general waste of time. Nothing that new and interesting was revealed.

Then there are the usual elephants in the room, like no update on FF7 Remake (especially in the wake of rumors that there's been some studio upheavals) or that mystery Avengers game.

This gal gets it.
          Oh, for sure. It was definitely a nothing conference, I was just saying that the format of just straight trailers could have been a good move, if they’d had anything to show.

RE: FFVII... I just don’t even care any more. When it was teased three years ago I was excited for a chance to play a historically significant game that I had missed the first time but was too dated for me to want to play the original. Since then, every single piece of information that has come out about it has made me less interested. Expanding on the original story and changing the combat engine means it won’t really be a Modern recreation of a game I’ve long been curious to try but a re-imagining of it. Releasing it in episodes means I won’t be able to just buy the game once and play through the whole thing. And then all the problems that have plagued its development, and having to basically scrap everything they had done and start over. Forget it. I only have so many fucks, I don’t want to waste them on another action RPG that’s kinda sorta based on a JRPG that was good when I was 7, and may or may not ever be finished.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• New DOOM is the #1 game I'm looking forward to. Even if it ends up being almost exactly the same as the last one it'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Cyberpunk's new visuals and hearing about a character creation system has me a little worried but the studio making it haven't let me down yet.

Interested in the new Elder Scrolls since its finally not just Skyrim but I'm not looking forward to how they will inevitably simplify this one like they do with each sequel.

Comment

• God damn it, Assassin's Creed, I know I don't like you, stop making games that trick me into thinking I will this time!
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• A very solid and well done presser from Ubisoft. Nothing really that will knock the roof off of the house, but what they all did show was, for the most part, very well done.

----------------------------------------------------------
                Also as a PSA for the Sony conference: Sony announced ahead of time that they're only focusing on four games:
                • The Last of Us Part 2
                • Death Stranding
                • Ghost of Tsushima
                • Spider-Man
                Never say never on surprise announcements, but don't expect much else.
                Last edited by tasti man LH; 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• This new Assassin’s Creed is a dream come true. Largely abandoning what has always been half-baked stealth, setting it before all of the convoluted lore takes place, and making it into an open-world historical RPG where I can play as a canonically bi woman who is also a shredded butch warrior? Yes yes yes.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    This new Assassin’s Creed is a dream come true. Largely abandoning what has always been half-baked stealth, setting it before all of the convoluted lore takes place, and making it into an open-world historical RPG where I can play as a canonically bi woman who is also a shredded butch warrior? Yes yes yes.
                    That... actually sounds good. When are they setting it?

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                    He/His Pronouns
                    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                      They mention the Peloponnesian War (431–404 BC) and Sparta vs Athens conflict.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                        Peloponnesian war.

Also, you get to choose between a male and female lead character, and it has proper dialogue choices.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                          This new Assassin’s Creed is a dream come true. Largely abandoning what has always been half-baked stealth, setting it before all of the convoluted lore takes place, and making it into an open-world historical RPG where I can play as a canonically bi woman who is also a shredded butch warrior? Yes yes yes.
                          I fully agree. But also, it’s still Assassin’s Creed, which makes me hesitant to get too excited for it. They’ve disappointed me too many times.

Comment

• Huh. so when Todd Howard was asked about mods he might have dropped something about Private games in Fallout 76...after launch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I fully agree. But also, it’s still Assassin’s Creed, which makes me hesitant to get too excited for it. They’ve disappointed me too many times.
                              This looks to play a lot like origins, which I throughly enjoyed. I am only worried that Ubisoft is going to fall into the release samey content every year trap that lead to unity and syndicate being such disappointments.

Comment

• Internet kept cutting out on my end, so I might have missed a few things.

Ubisoft

Just Dance 2019

Another year, another over-the-top and awkward Just Dance musical number. Not much else to say because it’s Just Dance…well, if you still got a Wii, you can dust off that old girl to give it a whirl with this game.

Beyond Good and Evil 2

And now that one game that everyone thought was never going to happen.

Confirmation (if it wasn’t already) as prequel. Starring a younger but evil(?) Jade? Huh. Interesting.

Also Joseph Gordon Levitt was here… with his company HitRecord…which is devoted to making community-based content to put in the game? Huh. Interesting. Not sure if that’s something people wanted, but interesting.

Trials Rising

Don’t really play the other Trials games so much not to say from me. Still looks insane as ever.

The Division 2

A CG trailer? Ok adding specializations, new weapons, and 8-player Raids? Ok…please make them more exciting then the Incursions. Year One roadmap of 3 “Episode” free DLCs on top of existing updates? Well SHIT. Sounds nice there, guys. Guess I’ll be keeping an eye on this one.

Mario + Rabbids DLC: Donkey Kong Adventure

Ok, neat. I better go pick up Mario + Rabbids again because this looks neat. And for once the live band wasn’t awkward as hell. And in a few weeks from now? Sweet.

Skull & Bones

So one of the cooler CG trailers before we get into gameplay. Game looks awesome. Everything promised on “AC4’s naval gameplay but without AC” seems to be fully represented here. And every intent to be drinking the tears of Sea of Thieves.

Also irony isn’t lost on me the game describes how you fight against “soulless, greedy empires”…from Ubisoft of all people.

Transference

Oh this thing I remember it from last year. The horror VR title (although apparently now you can play it on conventional platforms). And honestly…not a whole lot new from this one. Aside from looking very creepy and cool. I need to hear a bit more about this one.

This guy totally killed his family didn’t they?

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

Oh look it’s Ubisoft’s No Man’s Skylander…right when the whole “figures-in-game” fad thing is dying down. I mean starships look cool, don’t get me wrong, but I dunno why Ubisoft wants to keep bringing this ou-

OH SHIT STARFOX IS IN (the Switch version) THIS GAME. Taking bets: this is going to be a better StarFox game then StarFox Zero.

For Honor: Marching Fire

Oh neat, adding a Chinese faction.

MIGHT AS WELL SINCE DYNASTY WARRIORS IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES.

The Crew 2

Racing game…I don’t care. Next please.

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey

Huh. First Assassin that doesn't have the familiar hood and robes. Also, Polyponesian War. Picking between male and female characters! Debating with Socrates! Conversation system! Sparta kick!

I’m a bit of a sucker for Ancient Greece so…goddammit Ubisoft FINE.

---------------------------------------------
                                As I said, solid presser from Ubisoft. No big news to rock things, most of the items were stuff that we already knew about, but the stuff was presented and delivered well. And that’s good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X