No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smash Ultimate was an incredible surprise (Snake is back and voiced by David Hayter!!), but I’m sad to not only not see new titles (Animal Crossing, F-Zero) but also no news on titles we knew about (Metroid, Yoshi).

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      Smash Ultimate was an incredible surprise (Snake is back and voiced by David Hayter!!), but I’m sad to not only not see new titles (Animal Crossing, F-Zero) but also no news on titles we knew about (Metroid, Yoshi).
      There may yet be more in the Treehouse.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Nintendo

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC

I don’t care about Xenoblade, so no thanks.

Pokemon: Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee

Huh, free Mew if you get the PokeBall Plus controller? Neat-o. Although knowing Nintendo, that just might mean that the thing is going to be sold out everywhere.

Super Mario Party

In which they finally drop the numbering scheme from past Mario Party games. Not a huge Mario Party fan so not much to say…well, aside from maybe needing to get this game so I got something available for people who come over to my place.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Wooh new Fire Emblem! …that ain’t coming out until Spring 2019. Yeah I can wait.

Fortnite

Yeah as previously leaked, Fortnite is coming to the Switch. I suppose not too surprising considering the game was able to be up and running on mobile devices.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

And now the one everyone’s waiting for.

So yeah this thing is basically an all-in-one of the entire Smash franchise, considering EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER EVER is going to be in this game. Bad news is, there’s probably not going to be a whole lot of new characters. Good news is, this is going to have the biggest roster in one game it’s not going to matter all that much. Not that they’re completely gone: oh hai Ridley and Princess Daisy!

I’m not going to go over every single mechanical change (especially since a lot of it is the kind of stuff that sounds good on paper but doesn’t mean anything until you actually sit down and play).

Still, looks good. Definitely will pre-order. Will be a nice birthday gift for myself.

------------------------------------------------------
        Yeah as previously promised by Nintendo, they were going to focus mostly on Smash Ultimate. So new games being teased here and there was to be expected. In that regard, solid conference.

Comment

• I love how both Todd Howard and Masahiro Sakurai were like, “Fine! Here’s EVERYTHING you keep asking for, now shut up!” this year.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
            Well. Nintendo promised that they would come and conquer with Smash Bros, and they delivered.
            So I was happy when I saw your post. Then I watched the video and was REALLY happy.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
            He/His Pronouns
            CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• [QUOTE=atamajakki;n1226802]

Do remember that next console generation is less than three years out. There could be some hardware running around that we don’t see.

/QUOTE]

Yup. Which is why I'm thinking Elder Scrolls 6, Cyberpunk, etc. are all going to release within the launch window of the next gen consoles. Makes me a bit hesitant to get too excited for them now.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

White-washing bullshit.

...and for the record, I'm the guy who was relatively lax around the "controversy" that's surrounded recent media. Wasn't bothered by the casting of characters in Netflix's Death Note or Netflix's Iron Fist. This one the other hand...they have no excuse to not get an actual Japanese guy for that performance.

Yeah...we're not going to agree on this one. To be honest, I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not, but since now I know you're not...

To me, there's a difference between Cultural Appropriation and showing respect to a culture. Sony, a Japanese company, was clearly fine with choosing that specific person for that performance. He did well. Many people stated the same thing. Be angry if you want, I guess. *shrugs

And there shouldn't have been any issues with Iron Fist. Danny Rand is a White male, who at the age of 10, after losing his parents in a plane crash, was raised by monks in the Himalayas. He respects the culture. Appreciates the culture. And LIVES by the culture.

There's a difference between appropriation and assimilation. Rand is the latter.

Sorry for the rant, and I guess this belongs in a different thread. Good luck.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                  To me, there's a difference between Cultural Appropriation and showing respect to a culture. Sony, a Japanese company, was clearly fine with choosing that specific person for that performance. He did well. Many people stated the same thing. Be angry if you want, I guess. *shrugs
                  Yeah, Sony flew Kojima out to E3 to host a panel. I'm sure if they had wanted to, they could have hired a Japanese flutest and flown him out to E3. Sony however, a Japanese company primarily staffed by Japanese individuals, were apparently okay with having this white guy perform at E3. I think accusations of Sony engaging in racism (against themselves?) may be a bit overblown.

Comment

• I've missed a few assassins creed games but isn't the list of protagonists from each game supposed to be comprised of just Desmond's direct forebears?
                    Last edited by Satcom; 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                      Yeah, Sony flew Kojima out to E3 to host a panel. I'm sure if they had wanted to, they could have hired a Japanese flutest and flown him out to E3. Sony however, a Japanese company primarily staffed by Japanese individuals, were apparently okay with having this white guy perform at E3. I think accusations of Sony engaging in racism (against themselves?) may be a bit overblown.
                      Except how Japan feels about it doesn't really matter.

Because Japan is a country that's known for being ethnically and culturally homogeneous, the idea of diverse representation is non-existent compared to America/Western countries. For instance, this is why I'm not mad at all for their live-action adaptations of Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemists, despite both of the source material having characters coded as white-European because, well, tricky to find a lot of white actors living in Japan, and production teams probably didn't have the budget to fly out white actors from other countries.

Especially since in America/West, there's been the long-standing issue of Asians not having enough representation in media at all (and still not having quite the same mainstream break-outs on the equivalent of Luke Cage or Black Panther).

And in this context: this is Sony trying to sell a game, a game that's immersed in Japanese culture and history, to a International audience, in a Western country...and they have a white guy dressed up in traditional Japanese clothes, playing a fue.

Fuck. Off. Sony.

--------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      I do wonder if 2077 will have some of the classes from the tabletop; playable Cops and Corporates would be very interesting indeed.
                      WELL

Anyways, there apparently is a closed-door demonstration of Cyberpunk 2077 that reveals quite a bit more that the trailer didn't already do. Highlights include:
                      • Fully first person perspective versus Witcher's third person perspective.
                      • Fully customizable character in "V", including picking gender, stats, and backstory.
                      • The latter being described as something very similar to CP2020's classic Lifepath system.
                      • While technically a freeform, classless system, nothing is stopping you from embodying the classic roles from the original TRPG.
                      • HOWEVER V does have a set general personality in some ways and isn't a completely blank slate for the player to inhabit. So it's kind of the middle ground between a typical blank slate and Geralt from Witcher.
                      • Choices you make matter and will affect the larger world.
                      • Vehicle gameplay is absolutely present. Demo focused mostly on cars and motorcycles.
                      • "Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4." Take that how you will.
                      • There is a bullet-time ability.
                      • Just like Witcher, an emphasis on how "this is a mature experience for mature players".
                      Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Satcom View Post
                        I've missed a few assassins creed games but isn't the list of protagonists from each game supposed to be comprised of just Desmond's direct forebears?
                        Desmond’s been dead for... five games, now? I know for a fact at least two of the games have had protagonists that weren’t related to him at all. Odyssey seems to be getting away from a lot of the franchise’s baggage (set before the Assassins even exist, for one) and moving more towards a sort of open-world historical RPG series, which is fine by me.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yup. Which is why I'm thinking Elder Scrolls 6, Cyberpunk, etc. are all going to release within the launch window of the next gen consoles. Makes me a bit hesitant to get too excited for them now.
                          I think you’re right about that, except that I would expect Starfield in the next gen launch window, and ES6 to be a few years later. Honestly, I’m pretty convinced given Bethesda’s preference for announcing games very shortly before their release, that the only reason they showed those two teasers was to quash speculation about them. They’re aware that people are impatient for both titles, and that every e3 that goes by without either of them being announced builds up more resentment and more expectation. I think the goal here was not to build hype for these games, but in fact, to manage it.

Comment

Anyways, there apparently is a closed-door demonstration of Cyberpunk 2077 that reveals quite a bit more that the trailer didn't already do. Highlights include:
                            • Fully first person perspective versus Witcher's third person perspective.
                            Well, shit. The hype train just derailed for me...I hate first person games.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                              I think you’re right about that, except that I would expect Starfield in the next gen launch window, and ES6 to be a few years later. Honestly, I’m pretty convinced given Bethesda’s preference for announcing games very shortly before their release, that the only reason they showed those two teasers was to quash speculation about them. They’re aware that people are impatient for both titles, and that every e3 that goes by without either of them being announced builds up more resentment and more expectation. I think the goal here was not to build hype for these games, but in fact, to manage it.
                              And this is why I'm going to continue to sit in my corner, loving my Switch and ignore everything else.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                              He/His Pronouns
                              CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Just like Witcher, an emphasis on how "this is a mature experience for mature players".
                                Translation: Female nudity and at one point a villain is given an excuse for being a villain.

Comment

Working...
                                X