Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
    Well, shit. The hype train just derailed for me...I hate first person games.
    Yeah. This just went from a "Oh neat I'll probably be picking this up," to a, "Maybe when it's on a $5 Steam sale if I've heard lots of good things about it."

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Translation: Female nudity and at one point a villain is given an excuse for being a villain.
      I do wonder if this game will hate women less than Witcher as a series did. Low bar.

Playable ladies goes a small step towards rectifying that.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
        Well, shit. The hype train just derailed for me...I hate first person games.
        Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
        Yeah. This just went from a "Oh neat I'll probably be picking this up," to a, "Maybe when it's on a $5 Steam sale if I've heard lots of good things about it."
        Well shit, had no idea there was this much hate for first person games...

(although as a caveat, your character's appearance will appear during cutscenes and conversation scenes)
        --------------------------------------
        Anyways, as promised, I reinstalled Prey 2017 and bought the Mooncrash DLC. Haven't finished it but my impressions thus far:

Tl;dr - It's Prey 2017 with a roguelike twist. Fun for some (like me), frustrating slog for others.

Set-up is that your character, a hacker doing some corporate espionage for rival company Kasma Corp. This hacker is going through a simulation of a separate TranStar base on the moon, one that went dark shortly after the events of the first game. He's going through that simulation to figure out what happened to it.

Over the course of the game you unlock 5 characters. Each having their own specialized skill set of human and Typhon powers. Each instance of the simulation you run through it one character at a time. The goal for each character is to escape the base. All the characters also have their own personal objective. If the character escapes or dies, then you move on to the next character.

While you do lose your items between different runs of a simulation (in a single instance, if a character dies the other characters could track down their body and pick up their gear), there is still some progression you retain. Any unlocks of powers/skills on each character are kept, and the fabrication plans you unlock also allow you to pick out weapons and gear that your character can start out with once they load in. For instance, if you found the shotgun plan, the next character you pick has the option of starting with a shotgun.

So yeah, you're going to die a lot...but your characters get stronger and have more options the more you play. Which means the fun comes from enemies that at the start kick your ass, but then as you power up, you start to turn them back.

It brings a fun new way to play Prey 2017 and well worth the $20. I would only not recommend it if you're someone who hates any form of roguelikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
          Well shit, had no idea there was this much hate for first person games...

(although as a caveat, your character's appearance will appear during cutscenes and conversation scenes)
          I've never really enjoyed or been able to get into first person games. It's always the biggest hurdle for me when I try to trudge through a Bestheda game. If a game is really, really good or has an amazing hook I might be able to finish a first person game, but it's pretty rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I've never really enjoyed or been able to get into first person games. It's always the biggest hurdle for me when I try to trudge through a Bestheda game. If a game is really, really good or has an amazing hook I might be able to finish a first person game, but it's pretty rare.
            You know you can play Fallout and Elder Scrolls in 3rd person if you want to.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              You know you can play Fallout and Elder Scrolls in 3rd person if you want to.
              Yeah, I tried. The games really weren't designed for that and ended feel really clunky and awkward, and it's often extremely hard to maneuver compared to games that were designed to be 3rd person from the get go. I know some people really love first person games, but I've just never been a big fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Yeah, I tried. The games really weren't designed for that and ended feel really clunky and awkward, and it's often extremely hard to maneuver compared to games that were designed to be 3rd person from the get go. I know some people really love first person games, but I've just never been a big fan.
                For sure. I know exactly what you mean about those games being clunky in 3rd. And I get how different camera perspectives could harm one’s interest in the game. I generally don’t love over the shoulder 3rd, myself (though more top-down or feee camera 3rd is fine).

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Translation: Female nudity and at one point a villain is given an excuse for being a villain.
                  This is funny because during the e3 presentation, you see male nudity within the first 10 minutes.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Except how Japan feels about it doesn't really matter.
                    Lol. Sure it does. You(like myself) don't get to speak for everyone else and decide what's right or wrong. I'd argue that a professional, whose trained in Japan and with a Japanese master of the instrument since he was 9 years old was, during the performance, showing respect to the culture, the country, and the game. Sony had their choice.

They went with him. But hey, you do you.

Anyways, not a big fan of PC games, but Maneater sure looks awesome. Reminds me of the Jaws game for Xbox/PS2.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                      This is funny because during the e3 presentation, you see male nudity within the first 10 minutes.
                      Right next to female nudity, no less. Now all they need is a, 'Don't you see? I'm doing this for the greater good!' speech and it will truly earn that M for Mature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                        Lol. Sure it does.
                        No. It doesn't.

Japan does not have the same cultural context and perspective that the US does, therefore what they think is irrelevant.

Comment

• Anyways, according to Pete Hines from Bethesda, he does say Fallout 76 has systems in place to protect players from griefing...but is unfortunately kind of vague on specifics. Just something about how in a potential PvP scenario, that the attacking player has to issue a "challenge" to the defending player, and the defender choosing to accept or deny it.

Comment

Japan does not have the same cultural context and perspective that the US does.
                            Yes. There's a lot of things Japan doesn't share with the U.S. when it comes to politics. Thank God for that. Like I said, if it bothered you, go for it. Raise hell. Most of the world applauded the performance, and rightfully so, IMO.

Cyberpunk 2077 might be my most eagerly anticipated game. I've easily spent over 100 hours on the Witcher 3, and CD Projekt Red is a company that can do no wrong, in my eyes. Based on what I'm seeing from various video game journalists, it looks like the game is going to be amazing.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

• I really hope Smash Ultimate plays much faster than the last two. Even as a casual Smash player, I absolutely loved the feel of the movement in Melee. Everything had so much momentum, with just the right amount of slipperiness to be really satisfying. I remember the first time I played Brawl, everything felt so clunky in comparison, it was like the characters were all wearing lead boots, and 4 felt about the same.

Now, I understand that Melee’s movement created such a huge skill gap between the average player and one who took the time to master it, and that may have made the game less accessible to other casual players. At least I assume that was the reason Brawl slammed on the breaks so hard. But personally, I never cared about that. No oneI was playing Melee with was a master of wave dashing or anything like that, so it never harmed my enjoyment of the game. If anything, the fact that there was such a high skill ceiling kept the game interesting to me for longer, because it felt great to practice and improve. And I love that there was an esports level competitive scene, even if I’d never want to get into it.

Ultimate looks like it’s taking a lot of steps to appeal to both the casual and competitive crowds. The fact that any stage can be played in battlefield or final destination mode, and toggle hazards on or off is a clear nod to competitive players’ preference for clean, simple stages. Choosing the stage before you choose your character is another move that I’m sure competitive players will get the most out of. Bringing back air dodging in all directions is something competitive players have been asking for. And they seem to be taking steps to make it easier for casual players to learn to play more competitively. Making short hops much easier, putting more important information like cooldowns on the screen next to damage %, etc. seems to be trying to bridge the gap between casual and competitive play more. And I’m hearing mixed reports, but it seems like the general consensus is that, while not Melee fast, the movement does seem much faster than Brawl and 4. So I’m really hoping, whether or not Ultimate is the Melee 2 that the competitive crowd wants, that it at least brings back the feeling of momentum and smoothness that the previous two games have lacked. That’s my #1 wish for this game.

#2 is a single player mode less like subspace emissary and more like adventure mode. While subspace emissary was a lot of fun, once I had played it once, I didn’t feel any need to play it again. Adventure mode made me want to play it with every character to get all the trophies, and was short enough that doing so didn’t feel tedious. And that meant I had to get at least passably familiar with every character, and helped me learn to play better in general, no matter what character I was using.

Comment

• After having seen some demonstration of Octopath Traveller with a full party in action, I'm more interested in the game than ever.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X